The Great Adventure Discussion

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Flink, May 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Flink

Flink New Member

[OOC]
    Things seems to have stagnaited a bit again. Icairus hasn't posted anything in almost 10 days and we're pretty much stuck until he tells us what to do unless we move the thread along ourselves...

Now, I'm not saying that we should ignore Icairus or anything. But part of the fun in one of these threads is to adapt your story to what the other posters do/write IMHO. I say that we start the adventure ourselves and if Icairus returns and ones again takes a more active role the thread will be under his command ones more. If this happens, I hope that he'll respect the changes we might have made to his overall plan.

This is just a suggestion. I just think we have a good thing going here and I'd hate to see it die because we're stuck without a DM...
    [/OOC]

2. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Alright guys, here's what I've done. At Ferret's suggestion, I split Flink's post with the rest of the thread, creating this thread. This is where you can discuss out of character stuff, like what's going to happen, what your character wants or whatever. I cleaned up the thread some, deleting Quethim's posts, and deleting some of the random OOC posts. Sorry Dem, but I accidentally deleted one of your earlier posts. I've been really out of it today, so please forgive. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to pm me with the subject "Roleplaying" or if you're talking about TGA specifically, make that the title.

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Way to go Snow. :)

This means we can keep interest going in the thread, as well as discussing what to do with Icky away, without actually having to ruin the thread itself by filling it up with pages of OOC messages.

Regarding the current lack of Ick in the thread I say we leave Tarant. We know we're heading to Hardin's pass and through the mountains but let's pretend that the map Icky had is inaccurate and decide to head to Stillwater to decide what to do next.

If you like, I'll write that thread myself tonight when I get home from work. We can write about getting to Stillwater, with a few random encounters along the way. This will allow three things. First off, it will allow good character interaction (bear in mind that Snow and I will get our own tent so no peeking! :) ) so we can get used to each other and it will allow each person to expand and introduce their characters properly.

Secondly it will give everyone a taste at writing a simple combat interaction or two. This will give everyone a chance to see how they decide to fight and how to write a combat post. Please bear in mind that you should not write anything major about another person's character (even Icky's) and you should allow everyone to write their own part in the story.

For example, I'd suggest that we encounter a pack of wolfs or something first. The group can then split up and we can take on a wolf or two each, allowing each person to write their own combat. You can reference each other to keep the interaction up though.

ie.

Ari and myself were talking when two wolves leaped out of the undergrowth and surprised us. The first one leapt at Ari and before we could react had bowled her over, but in doing so rolled over itself. (note: no damage or major changes to Snow's character or situation). The second one tried to out flank me but I turned to face it. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that several other wolves had entered to melee and had engaged the rest of our group. (active involvement, but no detailed description, allowing them to write their own encounters).

The third point is, that it gives Icky some time to re-enter the thread before we get to Stillwater and any major plot decisions have to be made.

Oh, and sorry if this sounds patronising to some of you, but it's meant to help those who have no prior experience. :)

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Apparently Flink already posted with something exactly like I was planning. :) I'll still write my reply tonight though, and I still suggest that we're heading off to Stillwater. I'll write that so don't worry. :)

Also, Snow, it looks like we have a new arrival. I suggest you move their OOC character introduction here and then they can write their character in properly. Say, they catch up to us, out of breath, just as we're leaving the Tarant outskirts, saying that he wants to join the group and he was late because.. yadda yadda yadda.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Just wanted to say this thread was a great idea. And no I didn't find your post patronizing. I know I have never done this sort of thing before. If anyone has any suggestions about my posts feel free to tell me. And I see what you mean about not having any significant changes to another character. I think I accidentally did that with my last post, I am about to go edit it.

Also, if Icairus isn't going to be with us much, we should probably have a certain leader to take over when he isn't around. That way, we don't have five different people making plot choices that are sending us every which way. Considering Ferret's character is the only one in our group that appears to have been adventuring and isn't a prick (talkin about your character, Flink, not you :) ), I say we go with her.

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I'll happily take over temporarily if you want me. However, since I have no idea as to what Icairus wanted for this thread then I suggest that once we come to a plot diversion then I post in here and we discuss what it is that we all want to do.

Also, reagarding Stormwell55, I suggest that he writes his character bio in this thread and then he can join us when we get to Stillwater. I think we should check into the inn there so that we can all get rested up and buy any supplies we'll need. He can hook up with us there and it'll give him an opportunity to introduce himeself properly before we head off.

Bear in mind that we'll be needing new equipment and since most of us gained some sort of loot from that encounter with the bandits (plus any other encounters along the way - it's a week's travel at best to Stillwater with a group our size) then we should sell what we can and buy whatever we need from Stillwater.

Also, please don't rush the journey to Stillwater. Like I said, it'll take about 8 days to get there so we'll be camping at least seven times on the way.

Plus, anyone got any ideas as to what we can do to Icairus? I've got three options as far as I'm aware.

Either something happens to Jonathan so that he is no longer in a position to lead. Injury perhaps during our fight with the bandits? He could rest up and recover at Stillwater so that he can take over again if he wants.

Or do we just make it so that several people are starting to feel uncomfortable following him because he's becoming more dragonlike? You can then vote my character up to take over, but I'll just be the figurehead as it were - I'll still discuss with Jonathan what it is he wants doing.

Or we can make it so that Jonathan isn't confident as to how to lead the group. He can then ask me to take over, but with him still 'advising' me on what we're doing.

Your choice. If you have any other ideas then I'm open to suggestions.

7. Flink

Flink New Member

I don't have a problem with you taking over Ferret. Your obviously a very skilled roleplayer. As a DM, Icairus would have to be around more for this to work. My vote goes to letting you take over. Maybe we'll discover that Jonathans motives are not what they seem...

8. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I vote for you taking over. I think the idea where Jonathon is advising you is best.

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I'm touched by your vote of confidence. I'll see what I can write in then during my next post. I'll let a few more people reply to this first though, just so that we have a majority vote. :)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'd say you should, Ferret. Of course, I was away so long that I got lost to what is going on currently in the post. You have my vote.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I may not be able to post for awhile. My comp at home is screwed up, and tomorrow is my last day in computer class and our final might take all period, so lets just say my character has an injured pride after Ari told him off and is avoiding everyone for awhile :)

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Given the difficulty I've been having finding time to write posts and getting my internet to work, I haven't posted for a while. I just wrote a post where I've taken on the role of loner and I watch what people are doing, waiting to see where I fit in. If someone wants to try to approach me, that's fine, but otherwise, I'll wait until my character thinks it's right to immerse myself with the group.

13. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I'm confused now- is Dem using dark blue, or Flink?

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Flink is using blue. Demo seems to be using some sort of blue-purple type colour.

Anyway, seeing as you have the ability to edit their posts just do what I've done on numerous occaisions and edit their posts to see which colours they've used. :)

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Flink is using Dark Blue, I'm using Indigo.

16. Flink

Flink New Member

Heh, You're gonna have to learn how to be more patient VerZreV. I was going to post later today. But now it looks like I'm not able to. While we agreed on a few things. I don't quite like that your putting words in my mouth.

Besides, I was kind of hoping to have a dialog around the fireplace with the others before I left. No chance of that now... Altho, you did a pretty good job and we had agreed that something like this was going to happen. Still, Don't put words in the mouths of other player characters. The next time things might turn ugly...

17. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

Sorry old boy, i deleted it now... so go ahead and talk, i'll post afterwards

18. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Ah... damnit!

I've written something now. One handy tip. If you've written something then never delete it! If anyone makes a mistake that they think needs deleting then please post something in the discussion so that it can be discussed and if everyone decides that it does indeed need deleting rather than simply editing then let the moderator do it.

That way it saves everyone from having to edit their posts too.

I don't think that there has been much 'damage' done though, if any at all. I've just assumed that Roxton has gone so if their isn't going to happen any more then please let me know.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Ferret, I hope that you're okay with what your character did in my last post. I basically just wrote some dialog that seemed okay in order to set us up to meet up with VerZreV.

20. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

You see, I deleted it when I saw that it wouldn't cause any harm.. and my Char is walking up to the camp with Roxton now... :D

If you DO follow my tracks before i arrive, you will find a camp where i have been for some days...

Making me sound rather stupid if i have just claimed to have arrived a moment ago... :p

Our Host!