The Cumbrian War

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Ferret, Jun 8, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Summary to date:

OK. This thread was started by Tyran with a really nicely written post in the style of a newspaper detailing that Tarant has gone to war with Cumbria, and Stillwater was attacked by Tarant. He then cut to Caladon, where his character, Salvanas Moonblade, is the captain of Cumbria's Elite Dragon Knights, lecturing at the academy on tactics. Himself and his squire, Melvin, set out with a squad of Dragon Knights and several detachments of caladon's soldiers to liberate SW.

Maniac, a half-elf called Andrew Gather, also left Caladon to go to Qintarra. He spoke with the Silver Lady (he is master archer and leader of Qintarra's Elven Rangers) and then set out through Hardin's pass, trapping it and captured the scouts sent out by Tarant.

Myself, playing an unknown character, was up in the mountains and saw several detachments of soldiers and mercenaries heading to SW and Shrouded Hills. I left for Caladon to speak with the magick council.

Tyran (Moonblade) then arrived at a half-days travel north of SW and sets up camp.

Maniac (Gather) joins with Moonblade and becomes second-in-command and general of the Elven/Ranger detachments in the encampment.

My character get's a mare called pheonix from the council and gets sent to meet the liberation army. My Character is Human, with an elven ancestor, so magick runs strong in my blood. Born of a noble family, the crest is a dragon and a unicorn and I have an arcane ring and a throwing star (called Fen'edril) with my family crest on that are very powerful and only respond to my family line (ie. me). Fen'edril means Warriors Honour in Elven and was made by the maker of Azram's star. Also five bladed, but made of mythril with diamond tips and more powerful than the star when used by me. Too heavy for anyone else to wield because of magick.

A new character arrives at Shrouded Hills (sorry - I can't remember either name, only that the poster's name began with an N). Talks to a few people (scene setting) and then heads into the hills as detachments of Tarantian troops and mercenaries arrive in SH.

I arrive at encampment north of SW and meet with Gather (Maniac). He is practising with his bow (he's very good) and I introduce myself as Katherine L'Anara. My father was on Caladon's Magick council before he died and my character is very beautiful, willful, friendly and diplomatic, but also a master of Throwing and good at fighting when it comes to it.

Destroyer of Souls creates a character called Mark (one of many names) and is fleeing from some sort of hidden/mysterious enemy. 'Mark', Gather, Katherine and Moonblade all meet up in the main pavillion and decide to form an incursion party to weaken SW's defences prior to attack. Katherine, Gather and Mark (who reveals himself as 'Jaden' - the son of one of the king of Caladon's advisers) form the incursion party and Moonblade will lead the attack on SW when the reinforcement arrive in about 2 days time.

Having sneaked into SW, the party narrowly escapes detection by Katherine using a scroll of invisibility to mask the three of them. A fair amount of friendly jibing going on between Gather and Katherine (flirting?). Gather goes off on his own to speak with Myrth, but finds him dead and after killing two gusrds, escapes out of a window as another one enters the house......

So the story continues.

BTW, if any posters could start their thread with a detailed description of their characters and circumstances leading up to this point in time it would help because I can't remember everything (I think I've actually left someone out, but I can't remember) and each person would know their character better than anyone else.

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

[OOC]
    :roll: So much for the STEALTHY approach! BTW, I didn't mean to offend you Maniac - try and interpret these little exchanges in a jovial sort of way - like we are teasing each other or something.

My Character: Katherine L'Anara. Age: 21.

Female Human. The latest in the line of one of Arcanum's oldest and most noble families - family crest is a dragon and a unicorn (power and nobility), although the unicorn was originally added when an ancestor married an Elf and symbolised the union. Father was a member of Caladon's Magick council before he died (as yet of unknown reason) and has the blessing/backing of the council.

Naturally very beautiful, friendly, diplomatic and with a naturally happy demeanor. Has long, firey-red hair down to middle-back. Slender and athletic, but generously proportioned. Lightly tanned, but still fairly pale skin with soft features and soft emerald-green eyes.

Powerful sorceress with full force and white necromantic magick. Master of Thrown Weaponry, with the family weapon Fen'edril that only responds to me. Currently wearing tight dragon-skin leather, elven boots and in possession of the family signet ring (a powerful arcane ring with the family crest on it, inlaid in gold). Has a fast and powerful mare called Pheonix, who is chestnut in colour, with a flame-red mane and tail.
    [/OOC]

[After Gather left, Mark - Jaden - and I left to see the Blacksmith]. I imagine the Tarantians would have drafted him (hopefully against his will) to produce armour and armaments for the occupation. Making our way around behind the priestess Brigette's abode we heard some rather... intimate... noises coming from within. [I Blush] I looked at Jaden, who grinned. "Looks like the occupation has just got started" he said under his breath.

All of a sudden we hear a scuffling to the east. "You go on to the blacksmith" I say to Jaden. "See if you can't find some way to sabotage their arms, I'm going to see what's up over there" [I nod my head in an easterly direction. Jaden nods and heads off].

I hope Gather is OK. Myrth's place is in that direction and I don't want to think what the occupying forces would do to him, especially for what happened in Hardin's Pass.

Luckily, the main forces didn't appear to notice - too busy with their... worshipping probably. However, there were still patrols around.

I quietly approached Myrth's dwelling, just in time to see a guard enter the house and another man exit the window - Gather I assume. The guard looks through the window and unholsters his gun. One shot from that and the whole town would hear! I quikly draw in my will and release it in a tight burst towards the guard. A bolt of lightning arcs out of my hand, travels up the guard's gun and sparks throughout his chainmail. After convulsing for a couple of seconds the guard sinks to the ground.

Gather quietly rolls to his feet and walks over to meet me. "Thanks" he said, "but I could have taken care of myself!"

"Sorry, but I didn't want to risk that guard firing his gun" I reply. "What happened?"

"They killed Myrth" was the simple reply. His face was calm - that of a trained and disciplined soldier, but there was an underlying vehemence to his voice that betrayed his true feeling for his fellow Qintarran - spilt blood among Elven folk is something not taken lightly.

"...Perhaps I can help there. If you'll let me?" I ask. [He looks at me, a curious frown on his brow, then he nods almost imperceptably. We both move inside. Gather moves the bed, exposing the carnage - he truly is very competent! Again I draw in my will, but this time I gently extend my aura around the fallen Myrth. I feel the reluctance of his spirit as I gently coax his soul back from beyond...]

"You... You brought me back? The invasion? [He notices Gather and turns to him] Please, tell me cousin... what happened?

[OOC]
    Hope this doesn't ruin your ideas for your next post Maniac. It's just that I thought ressurecting Myrth might be a good way to get info on the occupation and a good way to enlist the help of the villagers. Hmm... on those lines, perhaps one of the villagers could give us away near the end (maybe that halfling with the ruby - for money or something) so that it gives us an excuse to fight out way out - to be rescued by the timely and early arrival of our reinforcements with Moonblade!?
    [/OOC]

3. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Andrew turns to Myrth.
    "Those Tarantian bastards killed you but my elegant friend here (motions at Katherine) resurrected you. And don't worry, I killed them. Now tell me cousin...what's the situation here?"
    "Well...most of the guards are killed. Three survived. They are held in the inn where their leaders now reside. Most of the civilians are alive. Although...there were more like me who didn't give away their things and were killed. I am sure villagers will be happy to help you."
    "I am grateful for your detailed story friend. Go meet the smith and others who we can trust in and say that our liberation force will attack soon and that they should prepare to help us. Ask the smith to make too powerful bullets for the Tarantian gunners so their weapons will explode on their first shot. Also ask him to sabotage other weapons and armours.
    (Turns to Katherine) I think we should go rescue the guards and kill their leaders."

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

[OOC]
    Woohoo! Things are trundling along nicely as if we never left! Maniac, what about a character review? That way, people who join this thread, who haven't had the benefit of the initial, 'setting-the-scene' posts can join in knowing what is going on.

I will put a post up later, but my dad's due home any second and he'll want to turf me off (only one phone line and it's his computer that hooked up :( ) - I'll write something offline and then post it later.

I've also started making a recording of all the posts in this thread. That way if (or when) the siet goes down again, all will not be lost!
    [/OOC]

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

0240 hours - April 3, 1985

"Agreed, but let's get to the smithy first - it's not a good idea to stay out in the open like this. And besides, Jaden went on ahead and we need to apprise him of the situation." [With Myrth leading the way, the three of us make our way quietly towards the smith's backdoor. I fall in beside Andrew Gather.] "Those were some nice ideas back there Gather. I can just imagine the looks on their faces when they find out that their bullets contain plastique instead of black powder!" [I chuckle quietly and give him a wink] "Seriously though, I think I'd like to peruse the merchandise first before we ruin it - I've always fancied picking up a shield of force, and wouldn't you like a little something else to go with those two mythril blades of yours? My treat. I understand that Stillwater blades come highly regarded!"

[We reach the smithy and quickly make our way inside the back room, where we find a worried-looking man sitting on his bed, and Jaden standing in the corner, fingering a long, decorated blade.]"Souvenir?" I ask. [Jaden grins at me and puts the sword down, then motions to the man on the bed.]

"Your friend has told me of the situation..." the man begins, then noticing Myrth his expression turns to one of surprise. "They told us you were dead!" he exlaims.

"I was" is the reply, "but as you can see, our new allies [he guestures to the three of us] have... returned me. They need our help."

"Gladly. My name is Richard Leeks, resident blacksmith of Stillwater and very pleased to see some friendly faces! I'm afraid that if you've come seeking weapons, then officially, I've only got non-magickal ones. The occupying Tarantian forces REALLY don't like my magickal wares!"

"That's a shame" I say, quite disheartened, "but we'd actually like you to due a little sabotage if you wouldn't mind." [I nod to Andrew, who fills him in with the plans - explosive bullets, picked seams on the armour and the retempering swords to make them brittle. Richard Leeks seems a bit uncomfortable with the idea of damaging his hard-made products, but consents.] "You don't need to feel so bad. We would still like to aquire some of your weapons." [I undo a small pouch from my belt and heft it gently in my hand] "And we're willing to pay - we don't want you out of business once we've freed you from this tyranny!"

[Hearing this Richard brightens considerably] "I which case..." [he moves quickly over to a small rug in the corner, lifts the edge and opens a trapdoor.] "I did say 'officially' no magick weapons were allowed. I've got quite a stockpile of magickal goods down here - I was certainly not going to let them destroy my Stillwater blades!"

[OOC]
    Time to stock up if you want anything. And Maniac, buy something on me - nothing too expensive, but around the 1200 mark. :wink:
    [/OOC]

6. Maniac

Maniac New Member

My Char:
    Name: Andrew Gather
    Race: half-elf
    Apearance: long dark hair, brown eyes, tall, a bit muscular frame.
    Skills: master bow, master melee/dodge, aprentice spot traps, aprentice prowling, aprentice disarm traps, minor heal spell...
    Inventory: two short mithril swords with unknown (for others) enchantments, a yew longbow, dragon skin armor, elven boots, war gauntlets, a mysterious amulet.
    Part in the story: Quintarra has allied itself with Caladon and Andrew leads the elven soldiers: rangers and some mages.

Back to the Story:
    "What are you worried about?! When we defeat these bastards there'll be a whole bunch of weapons to salvage my dear smith."
    Andrew takes a look at the weapons.
    "Your swords are top quality but I'll keep to my special. I guess I'll take this mystic dagger if you insist *smiles*"

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

0500 hours - April 3, 1985

The three of us - Jaden, Andrew and myself - have spent a while checking through the hidden stash. Gather hasn't bought anything, well except that rather finely crafted mystic dagger, but then I paid for that! I don't know what Jaden bought, if anything, but I aquired an arcane shortsword. I'm not too good at melee combat, but I suppose I should always be equipped for close combat, and this one is small enough to fit snugly against my hips, and still giving me full range of movement. No shields of force though. Oh well!

It's now early morning and the sun will be rising in about an hour. Myrth has contacted the various residents of Stillwater and we've decided to hole up in the house of the Stillwater giant expert, one Stanley Hippington, until tomorrow evening. His house in on the outskirts of town and the guards do not bother to patrol out that far - most of the guards here are mercenaries and pirates, not too well trained and obviously just out for money and spoils of war. It also means that we can hold a makeshift council of war and plan what we intend to do tomorrow evening besides rescue what remains of the town guard. Whatever we do, we'll have to get it done tomorrow night because our reinforcements are due the following morning....

[I look at Gather, who nods] "Let's make a move then" he says.

[OOC]
    I also suggest that, because Gildor Nightwalk (the ruby halfling guy) is an expert in prowling and lockpicking that he agrees to sneak into the Bleeding Rose Inn during the day and either free the guard, or reconnoiter the place. However, he turns traitor and offers to trade us in for a large ammount of gold/gems. That way, after you have freed the guards, you'll have to fight your way back out (a bit of action for a change! :razz: ) and then we'll all have to make a break for it - to be rescued by the timely (and early) arrival of our reinforcements.

I suggest that we split into two teams the following night - Maniac, you lead the one to kill the leaders and free the guard. I'll lead the one to weaken the defenses. If DoS returns to T-A, then maybe he can lead a team to weaken some more defenses/free the remaining villagers/disable the guard barracks or something.
    [/OOC]

8. Maniac

Maniac New Member

[OOC]
    Don't forget there are PMs.
    [OOC]

The next night I and Jaden went to the inn. We went alone because we were the only one's skilled in stealth. Katherine was also good in hiding but someone was needed to command the other team. Two guards were standing at the door.
    "Knock knock" the guards turned at me and were instantly beheaded. One by me other by Jaden. I carefully looked through the door. There was only one guard in the lobby. I dispatched him with an arrow in his neck. Slow but silent death...We dragged the two bodies inside. We slowly advanced forward the bedrooms and saw that three leaders were playing Dice. Unfortunately only one was near the door. We jumped in. And I quickly stabbed the one who was near the door. The other two grabbed their weapons and attacked us. Jaden and his oponent went clashing into the hallway. I was left with the other leader. I swiftly Cut his revolver in two but he wasn't confused and grabbed for his charged sword. I swords met each other and I felt sharply electricity flowing through me. I stumbled back. He charged at me but I pushed myself away with my arms and kicked him in the gut with my both feet and sent him into the wall. I put off my war gauntlets as quickly as I could, grabbed a rubber boot, cut it to pieces and put the rubber on the hilt of my swords. The leader was just about to cut my head off but I rolled away from his sword. Our swords met again but this time the rubber absorbed the flow. The leader was confused why I didn't stumble again. I swinged at him but he swiftly blocked my hits with his sword or shield. I got a bit tired and he pushed me with his shield and then his sword made it's way through the flesh of my left arm. I stunned for a second from the electricity and he kicked me to the ground. My two swords flew away. He swinged for a finishing blow but I launched my newly aquired dagger at his heart and rolled away from his falling sword. But that bastard let out a death cry. Now probably half of town knew something was going on. I grabbed my two swords.
    I saw as Jaden beheaded his oponent and ran to the door to blockade it.
    "I'll free the guards!" I shouted.
    I ran into the basement and saw an ogre who was just wakened from his sleep and he was definetly not happy about it. I leaped forwards him and stabbed him in the gut. But he didn't even move. He grabbed me with his two giant hands and threw me in to a wine barrel. I heard my bones crackle. Poor ribs... My two swords were again not in my hands and my dagger wouldn't do much effect on this beast. I concetrated my strenght and threw the dagger in to the ogres keys which flew into the cell. The ogre was too stupid to realise what I had done. He laughed thinking that I had missed but I truly hit the bullseye. The ogre was slowly walking towards me. Laughing loudly but two guards rushed out off the cell. Each grabbed one of my swords and started stabbing the ogre. He loudly fell to the ground. Making a bloodbath underneath him.
    "I'm here to rescue you. Were is the third guard?" I asked.
    "He is seriuosly wounded."
    "I'll help him." I tried to stand but felt how my broken ribs ripped my flesh so I stayed there sitting. I concetrated and cast a healing spell on myself. I felt my ribs restoring. I stood up.
    "Here are your swords Sir...?"
    I took my swords."Gather. Andrew Gather. I'm going upstairs. You two bring your comrade there."
    "Sir yes Sir!"
    I ran upstrairs.
    Jaden waved to me to crouch.
    "We're surrounded!" he said. I came closer to him. "They think we have their leaders as hostage and that's why they still hadn't blown us out." explained Jaden." How are the guards?" he asked.
    "Two OK, one badly wounded."
    The guards brought their friend into the bloody bedroom and then crouched to us.
    "Here's your dagger Sir."
    "Thank you." I said. *I'll have to thank Kathe' for this gift* I thought. It saved my life twice that evening.
    "My name is Arnold Sir."
    "Mine's Thomas Sir"
    "I'm Marc. You may call me by my name." said Jaden.
    "Our wounded friend is Howard."
    Jaden started to fill the guards on the situation and I went to the basement to take some food and healing supplies and thenI went to treat the wounded one.
    The guards armed themselves with the weapons of the killed ones.
    This was going to be a loooooooooong night...

[OOC]
    I hope you like my idea Ferret.
    [OOC]

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

[OOC]
    Ha! Kind of got yourself in a spot of bother there haven't you! :wink: Hope you can hold out until morning.... :razz:

Maniac, (and Maniac only - my character doesn't know anyone else particularly well yet, but Gather and I seem to be getting on okay) you can call my character Kat (not Kath(e), Kate, or Katie - she isn't particulary fond of those - they're so inelegant sounding!). Also, Maniac, if you don't mind I'd like to start to refer to you as Andrew when I speak to/of you now, instead of Gather - after all, we are friends! I'll still refer to you as Gather to other people though because it is respectful.

*note* The reason I tend to write my ideas/suggestions as OOC references at the bottom of my post is that I tend to write most of my posts offline in notepad and then just copy/paste into the reply box, with a few tweaks here and there.
    [/OOC]

2330 hours - April 3, 1985

It's been dark now for about an hour.

The council of war went well, although there weren't as many villagers as I would have liked. It seems several of them were killed during the initial scuffle - the town half-orc beggar, Cyrus the mage, among others, and Gildor Nightwalk, the local opportunist seems to have gone underground for a bit. Also, Brigette the priestess seems happy enough with the occupation - lots of new converts I imagine, judging by the noises last night!

We've split up into two groups. Andrew, along with Jaden, has gone to see what he can do to free the remaining Stillwater guard, as well as remove or incapacitate the occupation's leaders. Myself and three villagers have split into two groups of two and are going to see if we can weaken the walls in the north and north-west areas of town - the opposite direction to Andrew and Jaden so that we are less noticeable. Andrew and Jaden also left half an hour ago to minimise detection.

[I turn to the three villagers] "Are you ready?" [they all nod nervously] "Ok, then let's get moving. Gather and Mark have had enough time to get a good start on us, so we'd better get going." [I'm making sure not to give Jaden's identity away as he introduced himself as Mark and doesn't seem to want to be known. He must has put a lot of trust in us to tell us his identity. I have to admit, I think I'm beginning to put a little trust in him now - let's just see how he handles himself tonight.]

[The four of us make our way to the edge of town and then split up.] I watch the other two make their way north, towards the area of the fortifications where we made our entrance into the town. [Myself and the remaining villager start to head off to the western edge of town. I turn to the villager accompanying me.] He is fairly young. A human boy of about 14 years of age. "You look fairly nervous." I whipser to him, "What's your name?"

"B..B..Benjamin" He stammers "B..but my friends call me Ben"

"Well then Ben, what do you do around here when the town's not occupied?"

He visably relaxes a bit. "I usually help out with the local herbalist". [He straightens a bit and his face takes on a prideful expression.] "I also used to help out with Cyrus when he enchanted Mr Leeks weapons. I'm going to be a mighty wizard when I grow up - I already know a few spells!" [he sighs and looks sad for a moment, then steels himself and looks at me]. "I heard you ressurected Myrth the Elf. Cou... Could you do the same for Cyrus when this is over?" he almost pleads, but with a tone of repect I find almost embarrassing. "He was a good friend of mine and I'd like to continue to learn Magick."

[I smile at him kindly] "We'll see. I can't promise anything - if he's been gone too long he might not want to return, but I will promise to do my best."

[He gives me a slight, nervous smile and we continue on in silence. We reach the outskirts of town without incedent and slip into the shadows beneath the makeshift fortifications.] After a quick look around, it is easy to see that the fortifications, whilst looking imposing from the outside, are in fact just a series of buttressed walkways, sheathed in heavy wooden cladding. It would take a lot of punishment from the outside to bring them down, but from the inside, if we damaged or undercut the butresses, the walls would fall with the first impact.

Ben gave me a trowel, got his spade out and we quietly began to scrape out the earth from under the butresses. The light snowfall that was usual in Stillwater this time of year not only covered our movements, but also loosened the ground, making it easier to dig out the fortifications.

We could only have been digging for about an hour and a half when we heard a blood-curdling howl from the south of town. Looks like Jaden and Andrew's mission wasn't going quite as planned. There was scuffling from above and the sound of running as several of the guards manning the fortifications left and began making their way south. Ben and I threw our digging equipment into the shadows and made our way deeper into the darkness. Suddenly there was shouting and the sound of steel on steel to the north. Two piercing sreams let us know that the other digging team had been discovered and dispatched - probably caught by the guards decending from the fortifications. I hope Andrew and Jaden are okay. Andrew does seem to have a knack for getting into trouble - but then he also seems to have a knack for dealing with it, and very efficiently too!

[OOC]
    Where is everybody??? It seems to be just Maniac and myself at the moment... come on DoS, Tyran! (and newbie beginning with N - I'm sure I'll remember your name eventually :( - Nbrozl or something...)
    [/OOC]

10. Destroyer of Souls

Destroyer of Souls New Member

Andrew and I (or at least I) where having fun killing of gaurds when one of them shot me in the chest. "That ought to teach you, you bloody peasant." He sneered. I just looked at the bloody hole, look up, and say, "You dolt, that nearly almost hurt!" He stared for a moment, then shouted "DEMON!" He was about to start yelling again, but then found he couldn't talk. With my father's blade, I had stratigically cut his throat in a place that would just destroy his voice box, and not kill him. Those Tarantians had given me such a bloodlust. I promise to pay them back in full. Shots rang out about us. I cast my harm spell and watched my victims die a very painful death.

For anyone who is new and needs to know info about my character, here it is:

Name: Called Marc, Justin, and various other things, revealed to Gather and Katherine that his true name is Jaden Dark

Skills: Melee Dodge Mastery (There are two!) expert in prowling and backstab with various other skills

Inventory: Father's sword (Dark Blade) Wears a cloak to cover himself and his armor

Background: Kidnapped at a young age, his father killed in the process, he was taken to Tarant for....experiments. After years of torture, he escaped and joined the war efforts.

11. Maniac

Maniac New Member

[OOC]
    DoS please don't be some immortal superman!!!
    And by the way. We don't fight there we're waiting for the morning.
    [OOC]

I see as Jaden is shot in the chest and I see blood but he doesn't even care and he laughs. After Jaden dispatches a few more troops I ask him.
    "What the hell are you?"

12. Destroyer of Souls

Destroyer of Souls New Member

I smile at Andrew. "I am just another person on another battlefield in another war." I laugh. He is suprised, or so it seems, at my tolerance of pain. "It didn't hit me anywhere too important." As I say this my vision blurs a bit. I will need healing, but there are more important things going on right now, so I keep myself standing straight, and will do so as long as I can even if I kills me. At least I will take as many of them with me as I can, if I do die.

ooc/ I am not immortal or anything, just very tolerant of pain /ooc

13. Ferret

Ferret New Member

[OOC]
    Welcome back DoS! :razz: ...and yes, please don't be some kind of immortal demon-you-can-only-kill-with-a-specially-enchanted-penknife type of character! (Ack! Ye elxplained that - that's the problem with writing stuff offline... :( )

DoS wrote:
    If this is referring to why so many people have a problem with more than one master, then I don't particularly mind - after all it is just a rank according to one's skill - and a master has to train another master, so there could be more than one at a time... just as long as everybody isn't master of everything :x
    [/OOC]

0415 hours - April 4, 1985

After staying hidden well back in the deepest shadows under the parapets until the last of the guards had passed, a very scared Ben and myself have carefully followed them south-east towards the sound of gunfire. Keeping stealthily to the darkest possible areas we make our way across town until we see a cluster of guards surrounding the Bleeding Rose Inn. The guards appear to be taking potshots at the windows - obviously Andrew and Jaden are holed up inside somewhere - and periodically they send small groups in to see if they can force their way inside.

From our vantage point we cannot make out much, but one of the guards trying to get in around the back suddenly shouts something. "D..D..Did he say demon?!" asks a frightened Ben. But it was hard to tell above the sound of gunfire. Suddenly there is the characteristic ring of steel upon steel, a fleeting flash of black metal and some of the guards near the back of the house just seem to crumple. I'm suddenly struck by a deep-seated unease and I can feel the use of a dark, but powerful magick emanating from the house that I hadn't been able to detect before and the remaining guards near the doors and windows begin to scream and fall over, clutching at various parts of their bodies. Someone inside is clearly using a dark necromantic spell of some sort - harm probably. I wonder if the guards are trained in magickal combat, and what of that cry of 'demon'. Is there a demon on the loose in Stillwater? Ben and I huddle down and I can feel him shivering beside me. It's cold and snowing and staying still doesn't help much either. I try and give him an encouraging smile. At least, between us, we've weakened the walls enough for the attack tomorrow, but our army will enter on the other side of town and we've still got to get out of here, and preferably with Andrew and Jaden intact too.

We huddle down and wait for daybreak....

14. Dracoverde

Dracoverde New Member

"I can't believe they just left me in the middle of the night like that. I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised though, mother always told me that I wouldn't be able to trust most of the people I meet. But did they really have to take my food too? Couldn't they have left me with something, anything? If I ever see . . ." I trail off as I notice the road ahead is blocked by a trio of soldiers, all of them looking at me.

"Hello, good evening and all that. That wouldn't be Stillwater behind you would it? If I remember my map, that should be the closest settlement. Not that I have the map anymore. Good for nothing brigands walked away with it, along with my horse, mind you, last night. I was accompanying them for awhile on my way north to visit a friend. Why can't you . . ." Once again, I come to a stop as I feel a point of metal under my chin. One of the soldiers had managed to come up to me and put his sword to me while I was explaining.

"What's your business here?"

"Well if you had listened to me," I began, but was cut off as the soldier applied some pressure with his blade. "Sorry, I tend to babble. I'm here to gather some supplies so I can continue on north. Not that I'm a beggar, I have some skills I could play to earn some coin, or directly trade for what I need. But I shouldn't more than a day or two, at most. I've already lost time, he's expecting me afterall."

"Enough!" The soldier removed his blade from my throat and took a step back. "There's nothing for you here. Turn around and go somewhere else."

"But this is the only place to go in this area. The nearest town is at least a week and a half away on foot. Without food I won't last three days. I need"

"Go away, old man, before I force you away."

Seeing that I couldn't reason with the man, I sigh, turn around, and walk away, muttering about the lack of respect in today's youth. I didn't make it very far before I heard gunfire from the nearby town. I turned around, startled before I could stop myself. The soldiers had also turned around at the sound, but then turned back to stare at me. "Invaders," one of them muttered, "he must have been a distraction." All three drew blades and advanced on me.

I obviously wasn't going to be able to dissuade them quickly enough to keep from being gutted, so I had to buy some time to think. I held my walking stick in front of me, end into the ground, and uttered a guttural series of syllables. As I finished, a shield of force erupted around me, and just in time too. A blade struck the shield in front of my face, making me flinch. The soldiers halted for a second before one of them grinned and drew a revolver. He carefully aimed it at my head from five feet away and pulled the trigger.

The bullet was deflected by the shield, but I had to do something fast before they broke through it. I picked my walking stick up and held it horizontally before me and began a long, sibilant casting. Just as I finished my force shield collapsed and a not quite deflected bullet tore through my shoulder. Luckily as I hit the ground in pain, they fell together into a slumber.

I groaned and got to my feet. Walking over to them, I used the end of my staff to prod one of them. There was no reaction. "Good, they should sleep long enough for me to get out of here, but it's hard to predict with their type," I muttered to myself as I turned and started off.

Before getting far, I felt a surge of dark power. Before I realized it I was running headlong towards the source of the spell. "Great, now I may never get there, wonder if I could find a smart bird around here."

[OOC}
    I hope I'm not intruding too much. If I don't fit, just let me know and I'll back out.
    Obviously a mage, he appears to be around 50-60ish, but it's very hard to tell. His hair is mostly grey with a few streaks of black. He's dressed in a dark blue robe with purple lining, and many grass stains around the hem. His walking stick/staff looks fairly ordinary, about 5 feet long. The end is metal shod and it's topped with a multicolored, fist-sized glass orb.
    [/OOC}

15. Ferret

Ferret New Member

[OOC]
    Welcome to the forums 'GreenDragon' :razz:

Nicely written and a decent length post too! You did the right thing by starting in a fairly remote way and not immediately in the action and you're welcome to join - we could use some other people!

I hope by 'bird' you meant a carrier pigeon or something similar and you weren't refering to my character?! She's a lady of breeding you know and she wouldn't take too kindly to being called a 'bird'! :wink: She is friendly and has a sense of humour though!

Also, I am assuming you were approaching Stillwater at about 5am - an hour before daybreak - and that the gunfire you heard was the attack on Gather and 'Mark'? Don't forget though, you wouldn't have heard the cry of 'demon' - I could bearly hear it and I was right next to the Inn.... We've got to be careful as to what we write because your character will only know what he has experienced and not what was written (eg. You would call DoS 'Mark' and not Jaden). Don't worry - I think most of us have done that already :razz:

Sorry - I'm nagging! :)
    [/OOC]

0600 hours - April 4, 1985

Ben and I have been waiting for about an hour now. It's cold and we're both shivering - we need to get out of here or we'll soon freeze to death, providing of course we're not found first. We also need to get the others out of the Inn. [I look to the east, where the sky is starting to brighten - we don't have long before our covering darkness is lost!].

There is no choice left. We have to make our move now or we'll be discovered anyway. We are positioned in a dark corner, near to the back of the Inn. I begin to gather my will, concentrating harder and harder, until I can feel a tremendous flow of energy built up within me. Waiting until the latest group of soldiers has been dispatched, I suddenly solidify my aura and release my pent-up will in a single burst - directly at the back wall of the Inn. A startled Ben jumps, just as part of the back wall to the Inn desintegrates and collapses, revealing five rather bewildered men.

Most of the occupying forces are thrown into chaos as they try to fathom out what just happened. Using this time, Ben and I run quickly into the Bleeding Rose Inn through the hole and pile of rubble that used to be its back wall. Two of the men inside, clearly exhausted, immediately ready their swords to fight, but another stays them....

"Kat! Glad you could Make it" remarks Gather with one raised brow, "and quite and entrance too!"

"Thanks" I reply with a grin. "I've been itching to give that a go since I got here. I'm glad to report that the walls on the north and north-west parts of town will easily give way almost immediately. Oh, and the suns nearly up so if you gentlemen have quite finished here then I suggest we make a break for it..."

[OOC]
    Sorry - I got fed-up with sitting around in SW with a stalemate on our hands so I remedied that. I would suggest that we start to fight our way to the Northern end of town?
    [OOC]

16. Dracoverde

Dracoverde New Member

[OOC]
    Hmm, my mind must have glossed over your location, didn't realize you were right next to the inn. I've edited the previous post for logical consistency.

And of course it was a carrier pigeon or equivalent. I need someway to inform my friend I'll be late. :wink:
    [/OOC]

Before I even make it a few yards within the town walls, I realize my current appearnce stands out a bit. Everyone I see is in some sort of armor, with a distinct technological aura around them. I quickly look around myself and spot a narrow alley between two buildings, which I dart into.

A nondescript soldier walks out the other end, with a passable set of armor complete with an off-color emblem on it and carrying some sort of rifle. He blends into a group running for the inn, supressing his magical aura as best he can after a couple of odd looks.

Pretending a yawn, I walk up to a confused looking fellow. "What's going on? I was sleeping when some idiot came running through waking me up."

"Not sure, just got here, seems there's some people holed up in the inn. We're shooting at them." This brilliant example of humanity states this obvious fact with the air of a great secret given up lightly. "No one's bothered to talk to me."

"Okay, I'll go see what I can find out, if I see you again, I'll let ya know." I pat him on the shoulder and walk away, hoping like hell he doesn't realize he doesn't know who I am.

After wandering through the scene, I pick up bits and pieces of rumors, sightings, and a couple of really good jokes I'm gonna have to remember. But it all comes down to no one knowing anything about what happened except that someone snuck into the inn and killed the guards on duty there. At least that explains the spell, I think.

Soon after the sun peaks over the horizon, it comes to mind that I can't really do anything here, so I might as well be on my way. I start to do just that when a surge of power, there and gone in an instant, catches my attention. Hmm, a powerful spell, quick and accurate it seems. Whoever did that is good, maybe I should stick around to see if they pop up. As soon as the thought passes my mind, chaos erupts, sort of, as the soldiers I can see start babbling and shouting at each other, but not really doing anything. A smile crosses my lips at their utter confusion and incompetence, then I almost faint.

"Odd, why should I be fainting? I don't remember seeing anything disgusting." Not even realizing I spoke aloud (lucky for me everyone else was basically doing the same thing), I look down at myself, and finally notice the bullet hole in my shoulder. "Oh dear, when did that . . . oh, that's right, can't believe I forgot about that, should've fixed it right away. Where can I hide long enough to not be noticed?" I look around for an obvious place, and it strikes me. No one seems to be heading for the inn. By the gods, how stupid can they be? Did no one hear what happened back there? Oh well, at least I can go heal myself in private.

Focused on dealing with my wound, I wander towards the back of the inn, trying to look confused and dazed so no one would follow me.

[OOC]
    Okay, so what you've got coming around the corner shortly, is me, looking like a Tarantian soldier complete with rifle, leaving a trail of blood from no obvious wound. Feel free to react violently if you think it appropriate. While by no means immortal, I can be very hard to pin down. I've had a somewhat special upbringing and know a variety of defensive and avoidance spells, some privately researched.
    [/OOC]

17. Ferret

Ferret New Member

0630 hours - April 4, 1985

As the sun begins to rise over the horizon, the seven of us duck into the shadow of a building. It's a good job we left right way - with the sun now up we will be easy to spot.

It hadn't taken long for introductions. I have taken care of Jaden's wounds - one of them a seemingly lethal bullet wound in the chest. Luckily for him it seemed to have missed all his vital organs. I have to admire his constitution - not many people could have carried on with a hole like that in them!

Ben seems to be holding his own too. His herbalist training has been extremely useful in treating the wounded guard. Andrew and my magickal healing spells didn't work too effectively on him, but Ben quickly got him bandaged up and with the other two guards supporting him, we all managed to exit the Inn amid the confusion, without being noticed.

We're making our way to the empty house just east of Bridgette's shrine. Hopefully we can hole up there until our liberation army attacks, but then we've got the task of fighting our way out.

There is one snag though. Andrew has pointed out that Moonblade doesn't know how successful our mission was. I wish the was a way of letting him know that the fortifications on the north and northwest of town will have no substance to them. I've got a nice conveyance scroll of teleportation in Pheonix's saddlebag that would be ideal, but it's no good there!

I silently berate myself for not planning ahead well enough...

[OOC]
    Sorry for not being there when you turned up Draco :razz:, but we needed to move quickly. I'm sure we'll meet soon, and on a less urgent note. Perhaps you can try and make your way out of Stillwater, then you can stumble across us and we can help heal you if we recognise your concealed magickal aura. Or perhaps you can help us out if we get caught. We'll work something out anyway. See you soon... :razz:
    [/OOC]

18. Notharah

Notharah New Member

Next try...

[ooc]My character is again a dark elf, now named Feril L'ohrn. Denied my birthright and fled for Roseborough.
    Black hair standing up in a sort of spikes. Blue eyes.
    Master in the dark arts of necromancy and master of conveyance.
    Blue mystic robes.[/ooc]

... "and they say that it's hard getting through too"
    I was listening to the chattering between the two men sitting next to me for a while now. They didn't pay attention to me. Ofcourse not... why would they. This was an Inn, so anybody could sit here. The conversatin continued: "but will they liberate Stillwater?? I don't know you see. The liberation army might be strong, but will they be strong enough?!"

Besides the ongoing tales about Stillwater I was bored... bored with the world which didn't seem to have an adventure at all. At least not where I travelled. Adventure seemed to pass me by, just miss me everytime I got near... but the tales these two men told caught my interest... an army, an actual army. Maybe there was some adventure left for me. I would go to meet the Liberation army and offer my services... "if they really needed help, they would surely accept my offer" I thought. "And if they are not in need of assistance, I will just journy onward."

So I set off... onward to finaly get a taste of what adventure really is.

19. Notharah

Notharah New Member

(OOC)continuing on from the last post(/OOC)

I packed my things and gave the manager of the Inn the key back from my room and said goodbey to the few friends I made there.
    I walked my way the first miles. One of my friends had given me directions towards a place which people called the "lethe wyvern sighting".
    I walked a few miles and made sure no persons were following me. The people I met in the Inn didn't have nice experiences with mages, so I was carefull with showing my powers. When I was far enough from Roseborough I concentrated my powers of conveyance to a placee with a big dragon-like creature. I felt all the particals around me disappear and new ones appear. I quickly looked around to see where exactly I had turned out. But then I heard the roar of a large beast and I new I was at the right place. Not planning to encounter this beast I sneaked my way around it.

After some minutes of soft walking I found myself in front of a bridge.
    "Finaly" I though to myself as I began to walk my way on the bridge.
    But the next instance I stumbled over a corpse. I looked at it in disgust... so this was what people became after being eaten by a wild beast. It was not a nice sight. But this person, who was a female judging by the ragged dress that was not yet divoured by the wyvern, carried a purse. I opened it carefully and found a note... a love letter, judging by the appearance of it. I carfully unfolded it not to damage it too much.
    This is what it said:

"To my dearest husband Kilgor Magatush,

Thursday:
    I am now travelling onwards to you my love. I fled stillwater just after the Cumbrian army came close to us. I am affraid, affraid that Taratian soldiers might have followed me. I drew the scene of the Cumbrian army marching onward, just so you could get a glimpse of who will save Stillwater. And they will save us... I'm sure of it. I will stop my letter for now, because if I don't continue moving I might be caught.

Sunday:
    I am now quite a bit further and I don't fear the Taratian's as much anymore. I now am more affraid of the dangers of the unknown world. I don't know exactly where I'm going, but I trust it will be a nicer place that Stillwater is right now.

Wednesday:
    I noticed a bridge while travveling alongside the river. A real bridge... this might mean that people are living near this place. I will overcome my fear of the unknown and move into the sound that I'm hearing right now. I am sure you are close to me and that we will see eachother soon my love.

But wait, it aren't humans which I'm hearing, I'm getting a glimpse of it... I'm.............."

The letter stopped there. On the back was a drawing of the liberation army.
    I pictured the horrors this woman must have faced in the minutes after she wrote her last words. It were horroble thoughts.
    Although I felt sad for this woman and her husband, it did give me means to travel.
    I now had a drawing of the people I wanted to join and I could possibly use it to teleport to the location. Maybe it would work, but then again I never used my teleportation just by imagining the scene from a drawing.
    Non the less, it was worth a try.

20. Maniac

Maniac New Member

As we advanced for the abandoned house a guard noticed us and started shouting while shooting at us.
    "You two take you friend to the house!" I shouted to the guards. "We'll hold them off. Jaden if you feel weak go with them. They're inexperienced and your help would be useful. But do as you wish." my quick stream of words ended.
    I drawed my swords and started swinging them with lighting speed deflecting the bulletsfrom us. The soldiers started reloading so I quickly leaped at the nearest tree and kicked off it sending myself into the enemies and unleashing my swords like a whirlwind killing five of their soldiers. Others finished reloeading and turned at me but Katherine started launching lighting bolts at them. The enemies were in chaos but a group of swordmen joined them. Jaden realised we didn't stand a chance so he threw a smoke grenade and when the smoke faded we three were nowhere to be seen. But we were nearby, hiding in a small tool shack. We escaped but we were still far from the abandoned house and the town was highly patrolled now. And we had to send a message of our success. Although Kat mentioned that the other groupfailed to weaken the defenses.
    "That was close. And Kat I want to thank you for this dagger it saved my life twice this night. Now we must think of a way to make contact with the army..."
    "I know of a way" smiled Katherine " I have this teleportation scroll but we can't all go. We can't leave Ben and the guards alone. So who should go?"
    "Although I want to stay with you but I think I should go because I have to lead my squad."
    "Yes you're right." Katherine handed me the scroll."good luck."
    "You take care of yourselves, I'll be back with an army. I'll go outside to teleport so not to give out your hiding place." I waited for a right moment and went outside. Guards started shooting at me and if not for the scroll I would have died. But I disapeared into the air and left the guards confused. I apeared at the camp. Luckily the reenforcements have arrived and we were ready to rumble. I informed Moonblade and other officers on the situation and we went out.

Our Host!