Tell me........ what are your thoughts on this..........?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Chosen One, Feb 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

What are your thoughts on this character? Any ideas for improvement?

Human Tech Thief

Master Melee
    Master Backstab
    Master Prowl
    Expert Pick pocket
    Master Fire Arms
    Master Lock pick
    All the mechanical/Electrical/Smithy deceplines

Equipment:

Goggled Helmet
    Tesla gun, Hand Cannon and a Sword (any ideas for a good sword?)
    Elite Platemail
    Flow Disruptor (I will prolly change this since Tesla gun needs both arms to use and hardly anyone uses magic anyway- AC 30 MR 30 )
    Gloves ???
    Boots???

I know three weapons is abit much but its fun ^_^

Party:

Virgil
    Jayna Styles
    As many automaton as I can make (2 at the moment)

Oh and heres abit of advice for any Newbie Techies out there, you can save 10 CPs on raising INT by using essance of Int instead. :grin: :D :grin:

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Ok my thoughts:
    Melee+firearms is pointless, one of them would be more than enough.
    If you aren't going to use flow disruptor or other shield, lose hand cannon, get a mechanized gun.
    Sword- if you have enough strength, get a pyro axe. If not, a charged or envenomed sword or barbarian heavy blade.
    Flow disruptor: if you want a shield, its the best a tech can use, since magic bonuses won't have an effect on you.
    Gloves- war gauntlets
    Boots-enchanted war boots, gives 5 AC whether you're magic or not as far as I remember.
    You didn't mention amulets. Get Cassie's necklace (neutral,, +40 MR) or the Jewel of Hebe (+1CH+2BE)
    Automatons are boring followers. Adecently trained half ogre or Loghaire Thunderstone in a decent armor and with a pyro axe is superior to any automaton in my opinion. Sebastian also fun, he can make grenades and even throw them.
    About INT: if you raise it to 20, you get +10% success rate on all skills. Might be worth it...

3. The Chosen One

About Melee AND FireArms. Firstly, I just like having the option and variety of using both guns and swords. Secondly, you do have a slight advantage in combat. Imagine this:

Guy is running towards me with big sword while getting 100000 volts up his arse from my Tesla Gun.

Guy is close to me, I pull out my big sword.

Guy is dead.

I didn't want a hack and slash Melee masher so I after I saw the Schematic for the Tesla gun, I decided to learn Firearms.

Hmmmm, charged sword sounds intresting but im assuming it requires charges like the Tesla gun? How much Str does one need before effectivley using a Pyro Axe?

Oh yeah I forgot about them, heheh. I do actually have equipped one freshly stolen (by yours truley, ''Arvin Datt''. Which kinda sounds like ''Havin that!!'' Perfect name for a thief, heheh) Jewel of Hebe. :) :D :)

I've never used Automatons before but they certainly don't look or sound boring to use. Are they effective in battle? I apprieciate what your saying about having ogres or Loghaire or Sebastian but Im a thief. I really can't be arsed telling party of 5 to wait every time I go robbing the local weapons shop. ^_^

So your saying that ALL my skills will be 10% more successfull? Does that mean more accuracy for Combat skills ? Hmmmm im not about to waste a massive 11 CPs on that anyway.

Well muchos thanks for the advice and keep it commin'. :D :lol: :D

4. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Re: Tell me........ what are your thoughts on this..........

You want a sword? Okay! Go to this location: (1180W, 289S) It's called the Bangellian Deeps. There you'll find a sword at the end of the cave. But you'll have to fight some dangerous monsters.

If you were magickal that sword would be godlike but as you're tech it only will be awesome. It does an espectacular 5-30 damage (not need to be magickal for that), plus 15-20 poison and very good fatigue damage too.

And there's nooothing in the counterpart of that weapon! It's excellent, the best before the Ancestral Sword and Kryggird's Falchion. You need MSR 12 to wield it correctly.
    -------------
    Gloves, the machined gauntlets are very good until you find the V. war gauntlets.

And boots, you can have the Metal ones.

5. The Chosen One

Hmmmmmm............well I can't argue with that can I? Heh :D
    ........But other people can!!!!!! :D :D :D I haven't used the sword so I dunno but has anyone else got a better suggestion.

Thanks for the tip, I just wanna get a few more opinions. Is there not anyother weapon that a Techy might benifit from?

6. Canis

Canis New Member

The Bangellian Scrourge will make you evil, which may or may not be an issue for your character.

7. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

Ok, Lagash's opinion is deeply biased. :grin: Does anyone know of a melee weapon for a good character that comes even close to the Bangellian Scourge???? :-o I'm currently using a Dagger of Speed and an iron shield. I'm level 42, and why do i use a Dagger of Speed? Because I think it's hilarious to see a guy with a dagger and shield. Plus I love being able to hit an enemy 10 times to his one. :smash:

8. Canis

Canis New Member

Call me a wuss but I really like my mechanical dagger. It may not do the most damage, or the most *kinds* of damage, but it gets the job done (especially with backstab) and I've no complaints. Plus it just looks so damn cool, and that's all that really counts, right kiddies? 8)

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well I prefer the pyro axe. 30-50 fire damage and no side effects except maybe blood on your shoes :D There aren't many monsters in Arcanum that can survive two pyro axe strikes. By the way I've never used a charged axe... Do you think it could be more effective than pyro against armor wearing enemies? All types of armor seem to have negative electric resistance...

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Oh and the Chosen one, charged sword or axe doesn't need charges, they just do electric damage.

11. Lagash

Lagash New Member

How is that of "a better suggestion"? There's no better suggestion than that! *Ahem* Canis, the evilness of the Scourge isn't a big deeeaaal...! Just you won't get access to most followers, but hey, you'll get access to Torian and Geoffrey! Who needs other followers with them?

Uh, sidenote: I just found a way to have the Bane and Torian at the same time in the team (if anybody doesn't know...) just you don't have to ask about the Bane's story to those guys that tell you them (Alexander, Elf Wizard...) and Torian won't know he's responsible for killing his town!

Now, back to the subject: I suggested him a sword because that's what he asked for! The PyroAxe isn't a sword, is an axe. And the charged sword is good but it's very slow in comparison to the one you use to make it; and the Charged axe almost doesn't exist... Sebastian is the only one that has it... you'll have the Scourge before that! :cool:

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Charged axe can be made, I think I've found the schematics for it once. And if its about what you find first, you can have a pyro axe as soon as you come to Tarant and are ready to kill a few mechanized arachnids.
    By the way, where do you get the quest on your precious Scourge Lagash?

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

MSR for the high tech axes is 9 IIRC, more if you carry a shield. The Heavy Barbarian Blade takes more, 12? 15? You need a neutral or magic weapon as a back up as some rather magical monsters just cannot be hit with a tech weapon. Best neutral weapons are the Katana & the HBB. Magic, run what you find, but keep an eye out for Arcane weapons at the wise women.

The best reasons for both mele & firearms are those hard to hit magical critters. I had hopped that Brownick's Gun, with its Mithryl component, might be able to hit those critters better, but no dice.

14. Lagash

Lagash New Member

A quest? You don't need a quest to get it. Just find Hardin's Pass and go to the Bangellian Deeps. Well, you can wait till Stringy Pete gives you the mission but it's better to have it early!

If that wasn't what you meant then ask clearer.
    ----------
    The Barbarian Heavy Blade requires 20 strength if you use it with one hand, I don't know how much it requires if you use it with two.

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

16. Solaris

Solaris New Member

And where (and when) do I find Stringy Pete to get this quest off him?

17. Canis

Canis New Member

If you're following the good path (which might be why Lagash hasn't mentioned it... :D ) you can get the quest from Edward Teach when the time comes to travel to Thanatos.

18. The Chosen One

I've decided I don't want this evil mega sword. Sorry Lagash. I might just stick with my trusty Katana mmmmmmm nice, fast and neutral.

So what about the Automatons? Are they a worthy upgrade from my Mechanized Arachnids keeping in mind I'll need to spend 7 CPs on learning the schematic for Elite platemail. :) :-o :eek:

Oh and what would be the best weapon for backstabbing with? Im guessing the mech dagger but what about other blades once I reach Master status? ^_^

19. xento

xento New Member

I don't have time to read all of that, but I dont think anyone answered it:

No, the charged sword needs no charges or ammo. It is one of the best melee weapons avalible. I think it is even better than the pyro ax....

20. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Well, too bad. :( But! To answer about your backstabbing weapon! An arcane or mechanized dagger would be good... but when you get Expert status you can stab with the Bangellian Scourge! Really! :cool:

The only reason why I don't use automatons is because of the lag... but they're good followers. :)

@Canis&Solaris: Stringy Pete will ask you to destroy the Scourge! NOOOOO! Go earlier and pick it up for you. I wrote the coordinates above... If not I'll do it again. 1180w 289s. :D

Our Host!