Technologist help required!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Mercury, Dec 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

A high stat of charisma, intelligence and persuasion leads directly to less combat. This is, for some people (like me), very good. A good dialouge and philosophy. That's my cup of tea, I tell you.

2. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

Bullets are easier to get than making them, and free if you use lock picking. You also get the vendors gold each time you power steal.

As Blinky mentioned, guns in real time are devastating. I have never had a magic using npc get off more than a single spell(if even that) when firing even slow weapons like the LGR.

Large scale battles, like the firearms mastery quest are over in ten to twenty seconds when using real time combat mode.

The bandits on the shrouded hills bridge can be killed by a newbie gunslinger using a hunting rifle while in real time(ogre, ogre, human kill order while at maximum range with three points and expertise in firearms), you don't need to use grenades. If you put two points in pick pocketing you can even steal the key with a little trial and failure.

3. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Who's foolish enough to not put points into pickpocket at the beginning of the game?

Anyway, I've stopped killing them. I always go the "Thieves Underground" route, its much more extensive and provides quite a little penny of exp. And you get to f*ck with NPC's wealth.

4. Wolfsbane

I can't do that. For some reason, how evil I want to get or how evil I already am, I just can't kill Shrouded Hills. I love that town over everything else. I just HAVE to help doc. Roberts, HAVE to kill the bandits and just HAVE to bloody solve the Bessie Toon quest. I just got to.
    And there are other ways of joining the underground. Do mrs. Pettibones quest for the elven tombstone and you're in. Just talk to a member and he'll direct you to the leaders house.

5. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I cant seem to find a character i would like. The most annoying part of RPGs is that the game can be really enjoyable, but i cant create a character i would like. This happened too many times for my liking.

I was thinking of a new dwarf technologist, but this time with some other skills. Like thieving and persuading or perhaps melee.

Any suggestions as to what skills i should put aside to the classic gunner-technologist? Im afraid that a charismatic character would require too much points, because you need to develop charisma, beauty and persuasion along with the technologist traits.

6. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Why beauty?

My newest character needs points in strength, dex, charisma, persuasion, melee and pick pockets. I mean, you've got 50 levels (that's 60 character points) to do it. Shouldn't really be a problem...?

7. Wolfsbane

It might seem a little hard in the beginning for some characters, but once you reach the higher levels, these characters become some of the most powerful in the game. Just hang out, and gain a hell alot of experiance.

8. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Truthfully I hated Arcanum when I first got it. It was gloomy and unenjoyable and difficult. I stopped before I even reached Tarant.

If you want an easy character to work with, get yourself a half elf or elf mage, invest in Conveyance (for Unlocking Cantrip), Phantasm (one great way to explore the game is learning how to use Invisibility correctly), pickpocket, and put just one charisma point in for Sogg Mead Mugg. This guy is a must for any new player. The rest is your choice.

At the moment I'm in Qintarra with a Force/Conveyance/Phantasm/Pickpocket/Persuasion/Harm-spamming half elf. I can worm my way out of most bad situations and improve mediocre ones. Although since I'm one of those "I must complete every quest that ever-existed" mates, I tend to be higher level than all the NPCs and monsters around me.

9. Wolfsbane

I've already completed every goddamn quest. What do you want to know?

10. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I loved Arcanum from the moment I saw the loading screen for the first time. It was the first game I bought when I got my first PC. Ah, the memories.

11. rEt.aR.d

rEt.aR.d New Member

I've undat'ed Arcanum's game files and checked to see that I have indeed completed every quest there is. All but one. The thing is, that quest does exist in the game files, but it was never put into the game. It's supposed to be in Shrouded Hills where you find a little girl and you have to help her find her grandpa. Oh and Arcanum is in my opinion the best game I've ever played. Not because it's famous or because it's realistic or anything. It has a great storyline, and it just keeps luring you back, wanting to play over and over again. The only annoying things I find about it is one, there are too many bugs, and two, I keep getting the tendancy to start over and create a new character. I've gotten bored of it long ago though, but it's definately the game I've played the longest.

12. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Sorry I forgot to add why I like the game so much now after that first line in my last post >__<.

Well after trying a magic character (relunctantly, I'm was always inclined to technology) and getting past the shrouded hills, when I came to Tarant I was hooked. Tarant blew me away-- it had everything a mid-19th century city with magic and technology combine should have, and a little more. I had more freedom playing this game than playing any other RPG. I could pickpocket, pick locks, prowl, backstab, persuade, argue, haggle, destroy, create, be good, be evil, everything.

And I too, have a tendency to create new characters. Technology has always fascinated me, but I've always felt a bit gimped whenever I tried it out. Perhaps electricity was not always the best thing to invest in :p

And Vyenna, I'm making a half-ogre idiot savant just to see what happens at Simon's :D

13. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I was actually hooked once i was in Shrouded Hills. I thought it was the best game ever! Then i came to Tarant... Normally i dont mind graphics, but Tarant was a bit too much even for me. What bothered me was that every house was identical and there were a huge lot of them. I dont like exploring much *shrugs*.

After a few months i picked it up again and i think its one of the best games ever. It could have been much more though. Games such as Baldur's Gate just seem much more... quality. And i wouldnt mind at all to see the Arcanum citys with beautifully made art like in other RPGs, which were made years back. Makes you wonder if Troika hired any artists at all.

Our Host!