Tatts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jazintha Piper, Dec 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

G'day all,

I was thinking about all the crazy things one could do for a 21st birthday. Mostly of the commemorative sort.

Perhaps one of things most young people dream about is getting a tattoo. I'm thinking of getting one done: more specifically, a phoenix tattoo, either on the top of my spine (if you reach up, then try and touch your spine, just below your fingertips there) or on my hip. It would be pretty small, about a quarter the size of your average mobile phone, and it's a tattoo where I feel empowered because I know it's there.

[​IMG]

I was wondering what's involved in getting a tattoo and taking care of it. My only tattooed friend is away on holiday, and she won't be back until after my birthday.... and I thought, hell, if nobody helps me out in this thread, at least it would make good conversation.

My boyfriend said that it involves gladwrap to keep it dry, and shopping around to find a reputable parlour to decrease the risk of infections. But neither of us really know what we're looking for, so yeah.

Advice, anyone?

2. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

My advice is to not get a tattoo and spend your money one something better.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It's a very nice design, but you'll need to do some research on care before you get it done. Tattoos can be ruined by your body's own healing process, and it's a bit more technical than gladwrap.
    Consider the first two weeks of your new ink the probationary period. If you screw up here, your artwork will be ruined and all that money is wasted. Plus, it's a bummer.
    Read up on it here.
    I know a bit about tattoo care, but this will set you off in the right direction.
    Besides, I never got my idea inked, so I'd be a bit of a false start.

4. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I was thinking about getting a tattoo when I was younger, you know before your 18 and can't wait until you are legally able to drink, get tattoos' without parent consent and fuck hookers. The only issue I'd have is what would the tattoo look at with age. I've seen some really old people with tattoos on their arms and lets just say a Phoenix looks like a melting Zapdos.

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I don't have any tats, but both my brothers do and one of their girlfriends has a tatoo artist in the family so I've seen a lot of good and bad ones.

All I've seen recommended is that you keep it covered during the first week and that you use some sort of cream (can't remember the name but a tatoo place would probably stock it) to make sure it doesn't dry out. After a week as long as all the skin is healed up you should be fine, but make sure you keep it most with the sream for at least another week. Only other thing I can remember is that if you aren't well rested, fed and have your fluids topped up you are supposed to have a tendency to bleed more and that means it'll take longer to heal.

I've never really wanted one myself, seemed like a whole lot of money and effort for something I probably wouldn't be able to see without a mirror.

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If I were you, I'd make that phoenix black. Other colours have a tendency to bleach and look rather blurred after a few years.

8. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Grossenschwamm: Hey, thanks for that! I've just read it, and it looks like I'm going to have to wait a while to see what happens with it.... considering my parents wouldn't be too keep on it... :p

Telcontar: That's why it's going onto the back of my neck. So it's only when they shave my head can the nurses see it in the old folks home.

Frigo: Ew, no.

Dark Elf: it says in Gross's link that tattoos would fade with the sun, and I guess, with age as well. I'm only just thinking about it for now, but yeah, *maybe* black. I was thinking a scarlet red, though.

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

The fading isn't really a problem if you're willing to have the colour refreshed every few years.

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Always put sunscreen over the tattoo once the bandage comes off. It will prolong the color and you'll need to get it touched up less often.

As for the creams you can use, go buy a cheap bottle of Butt Paste (you can find it or something similar at most baby stores). It really helps to heal faster and severely reduces the chance of infection.

11. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

12. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Oh they are permanent. The color just gets bleached out a bit by the sun and if you want to keep it bright and vibrant you need to go get it touched up every few years.

13. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

How faded is faded, out of curiosity? I've seen ancient Maoris with their face tattos as black as the day they got theirs - but I've also seen biker tatts that look little more than a port wine blemish.

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Well, at least it'sn't the Neverwinter Eye... ;)

15. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Coloured tattoos fade more than black tattoos.

16. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

17. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Ugh...scarification is totally permanent, as far as I can tell. Unless you get plastic surgery or a skin graft to cover it.
    I'll admit, certain designs would look cool, but I have enough natural scarring on my body to warrant not getting my skin cut off in sections to paint a pretty picture.
    There are secrets to maintaining cool scars, though...like scar compression. Done correctly, the scar will just look like a mis-colored patch of skin in whatever design you chose. No sense in having it raised above the rest of your dermis.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I hear you brother. The scar on my neck is just as red and prominent as it's always been.

I like to tell new people I got it in a knife fight just to see how they react.

19. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

20. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

Oh come on. Get your boyfriends initials permanently inscribed into your skin means you love him twice as much as just getting his initials inked into your flesh.

Our Host!