"Supporting" our troops.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadygrove, Apr 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Wrong on both counts, Retard. I did not atack the president. I simply pointed out an inconsistancy in his budget. And he ain't no conservative. The last conservative republican president we had was Eisenhower. Nixon turned progresive. Ford was a dolt. Regan was a neocon. Bush I was kept prozaced out by his handlers, I still can't clasify his views except as opportunistic. BTW, the "biggest tax increase in history" was passed by Bush I. Econimists credit that increase for the boom times that followed during the Clinton years.

Conservitaves believe in ballanced budgets, usualy by cutting spending to match revenues. Liberals believe in deficit spending. Conservitaves avoid foreign entanglements, Pat Bucannon is not the only conservative to speak out against the war. Conservatives love the constitution, all of it, not just the second amendment, Bush is trashing it. Conservitaves rail at unfunded mandates, homeland security has become the largest unfunded mandate ever. Conservitaves despise large, unaccountable, bureaucracies, the homeland security dept. takes the record in that field. And let us not forget that the "liberal Media" just loves Bush II.

I'm supprised. From the way you talk, I thought you made enough that you could convince yourself you could afford to vote Republican. While I would never tell you to vote for a liberal, you could see if there are any progresives or populists, of any party, on your local ballot. (Why do I dobut that any of us will get a chance to vote for either?)

You might turn off the talk radio & read. Look for a slim red book called "How to Lie with Statistics". Not slanted at all politicaly, & first published in the 50s. If I can find a copy, I will see about getting it to you.

I would also recomend The Washing Post Weekly edition. The editorials slant right, the cartoons slant left, the articles are all over the map, but they go into a depth of anallisis unseen in the slick paper news weeklys such as Time or U. S. News & World Report.

The best truly conservative magazine would probably be the brit magizine, The Econimist.

He should have said discresionary spending. The military is well over 50% of discresionary spending (that's pure military, not the related stuff). It takes new laws to cut mandates & entitilements, not just a new budget. Lazy liberals don't bother to make the distintion. Deceptive politicans with an axe to grind or a favor to bestow don't either.

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

You're spouting garbage! What do you mean? Like I said earlier, I got a check in the mail right after Bush was elected, and would have recieved more, were it not for the war.

I rarely listen to talk radio. Look for a book called "Bias" by Bernard Goldberg, and read it WITH AN OPEN MIND, and I will do the same with the book you mentioned.

Don't get the Wash. Post, but have read it, and liked what I read. Time, Newsweek, U.S. News, they are all liberal garbage.

Shadygrove, you surprise me. What political leanings do you claim to have?

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

If you read the fine print, you would have found out that check was an advance on your next year's refund! And a democratic idea to boot.

But "How to Lie with Statistics" is apolitical. If anything it is anti misleading advertising. It will show how we are all being lied to with numbers. Doesn't talk about who is doing the lying. I always keep an open mind. Took the red queen's advice to heart early on.

Well, I think you know by now that I will agree on the garbage part.

Old '60s radical. Old radical ralying cry. "Sure the liberals are behind us, far behind us." Beyond that, it gets complex to explain. Sufice it to say, I am a staunch constitutionalist. With libetarian leanings. Strongly influnced by Jefferson & the Federlast Papers. Believer in fairness & justice. This might help: The last honest democrat we had in the oval office was Harry Truman, the last honest Republican was Eisenhower. (No wonder my childhood was so safe & wonderful.)

Happy to suprise you. :grin:

Our Host!