Strange security we gots here

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ZimZimZimbaa, May 9, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Oh, I'm sure you're right WS, I was talking about the halfling mantrain.

2. ZimZimZimbaa

ZimZimZimbaa New Member

A security-related question which changes nothing at all no matter how it is dealt with is a waste of space and code and is pointless from the forum security's point of view. Now, I was sure that the forum masters are wiser than to do pointless things (in before standard "what a naive thing to think about admins" joke retort), so I decided to aid the cause with this thread and the helpful observation within.

Why thank you, we're having quite a good time in fact. Care to join? We could always use an exotic elven addition and give that good old "halflings and elves love each other" saying a new meaning.

3. wayne-scales #2

wayne-scales #2 New Member

Actually, I didn't say I think you didn't contribute the best you could. I am able to believe that it was in fact the best you could. What I did point out was that your contribution was of no value.

4. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

A security-related question which changes nothing at all? How is it related to security, then? Objectively? Subjectively? A waste of space and code? Isn't there enough to go around? Pointless from a forum security point of view? So?

Of course, if you thought that the admins are wiser than to do pointless things, and then proceeded to point out the question's pointlessness, you must have first assumed that it was supposed to have a point; that means that you'd also have to admit to either thinking that the admins' stupidity was so profound that they didn't see the futileness of this question as they were writing it, or that you just hadn't considered the possibility of its being simply a joke.

I actually thought of this while writing that; so to preserve my air of humility and say what I meant, I added the word 'properly', since I wouldn't imagine an actual contribution to be not a contribution to what it's contributing towards, by definition; i.e., when you say that my contribution was of no value, I don't see how this could be thought of as a contribution at all, since I can add zero to any number indefinitely without producing any difference, and as to contribute is to give, and to give is to give something rather than nothing.

5. ZimZimZimbaa

ZimZimZimbaa New Member

I assumed it was what it looked like = a security question and that it wasn't working because of an error in code. I considered the possibility that it was a joke but posted the observation in case it wasn't. I take it it wasn't obvious to all?

6. wayne-scales #2

Well then, translating from English to wayne-scales #1, I could rephrase that your contribution was of negative value, for it didn't add anything useful to the discussion while harming it by diluting it and taking up a whole half monitor of space full of zero value content.

7. wayne-scales

True; but then I simply point out that that's incorrect, since the original poster was either taking the absolute piss, in which case nothing could be detracted from it since there was no 'issue', or misunderstood the purpose of the question, in which case I attempted to enlighten him. If I was incorrect in my attempt at explanation, you could say that I did contribute negatively to the thread, if you were so inclined, due to my ignorance, but you cannot argue that I was wilfully diluting the discussion, since the best answer I can give is my best, because I did not know that I did not know, if I did not know. I've yet to receive conclusive information from the admin that wrote that question that would determine whether I was correct or incorrect; but the point still stands that I neither could have impacted negatively on a non-discussion, nor could have prevented myself being wrong, in such a case as I was indeed incorrect, since I was merely venturing my thoughts on the matter — a fact which I clearly expressed; and I find it profoundly difficult to see what benefit an opinion, such as the one which you are expressing, may have, and cannot but ask you to forgive me if my attempt to give my view of the matter so as either to clear it up or to learn by being given new information regarding it (exactly what the intent of the original poster seemed to be) which may not have been supplied had I not voiced how the matter seemed to be, to my mind, detracted from the discussion for you. Thus, it would logically follow that the only argument you could possibly be making is that I contributed negatively insofar as what you wanted personally from the thread was concerned, and I would remind you that this forum is for others', and not just your, benefit.

8. wayne-scales #2

Well, it was fun until it got boring. Attempting to hide you errors by repeatedly overcomplicating simple matters in an unreadable fashion line after line for half a monitor at a time to the point when your opponent will finally get tired of it and give up the pointless discussion seems like a poor discussion strategy to me, but whatever makes you happy.

9. wayne-scales

I'll gladly attempt my best at meaning what I say while saying what I mean, clearly, concisely, and briefly, if you can point out my errors to me, as I cannot seem to spot them myself. I have been criticized for this before now, and all I can do is point out that I don't actually see my attempted exact logical clarity as an over-complication.

10. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Most activity we've had in a while.

12. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Do you ever play chess against yourself, wayne? I reckon you would get more out of the experience than most.

13. wayne-scales

Which one of us?

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Spent an impressive amount of time both offline and inebriated. You?

Oh, and Wayne/Frigo: I'm going to ban your auxillary accounts.

15. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17218

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrjwaqZfjIY?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrjwaqZfjIY?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

16. wayne-scales

No, no; you must have misunderstood me. I didn't say that I thought it provided complete security, I said that I didn't think that the question which the original poster referred to provided any further security than the one above it; so it didn't matter whether it worked or not; i.e., that if it can deal with the one with the link (which it obviously can), I don't see any reason why it couldn't deal with the following question, and think that there's actually evidence, by its answering the preceding one, that it could. Am I actually wrong?

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Too amusing.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

His best efforts, however, proved unavailing and the child died. The father became a bitter recluse, shutting himself away from his many friends and refusing every activity that might restore his poise and bring him back to his normal self. But one night he had a dream。

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

20. wayne-scales

Why is there a little circle to the bottom right of the word 'dream' instead of a full stop?

Edit:

Found out: the little circle thing is the Asian equivalent.

Our Host!