Straight Razor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wobbler, Mar 25, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I know it has been up for discussion sometimes and whatnot, but I am currently thinking about getting one. Therefore, new thread.
    Any of you has any tips or anything regarding my thought about getting one?

2. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Been using one for about 5 years, don't bother buying new just buy an antique and learn how to get it clean and sharp. If you can't hone a straight razor properly you won't be able to shave properly with it anyway. Besides all the cool razors are antique I've got a Heljestrand with real ivory scales, perfectly legal as an antique but good luck buying a new one.

And you will cut yourself when you start out, if you go down this path there will be blood.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I use an electric have have never even ONCE tried an actual razor. Straight edge, safety, or otherwise.

Come at me bros.

5. wobbler

Vorak, where did you get one? some small store or some secret dark place on the internet

6. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Re:

I left the way of the electric razor a decade ago and will not return.

7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I only use an electric razor, because I like to leave a few millimetres of stubble on my face. Not in a douchebag kind of way, more in a "if I clean shave then I only look 12 years old" kind of way. It's not really possible to do that without using the trimmer part of an electric razor.

Actually, one time on holiday I did it with a pair of scissors, and it took ages. Would not recommend.

8. wobbler

Well I got a decent (epic) beard to cover up my chin, so I can leave the rest of the face clean shaven without that particular problem.

9. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

After a particularly unpleasant shaving experience this morning, I decided to do the right thing and order a straight razor. Should be here Wednesday. Wish me luck. If I fail to appear after that, you'll know that I bled out on the bathroom floor.

10. wobbler

Damn thos americans delivery systems! I should be getting mine in the week aswell, Honed by americans master. O similar.

11. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I have my grandfather's WWII issued straight razor, though I need to either pass it to my father to sharpen*, or buy myself a strop and learn how to do so.

* My father is a man with extreme patience and was a machinist for many years. You ever read The Subtle Knife? That was actually just one of his fruit knives.

13. wobbler

Interesting. I actually got my razor cheaper ordering from the USA than I would have gotten it on gents. But it seems nice, can order shave cream and such from there.

14. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Well, my first shave was a success. Drew very little blood, only missed a couple spots. My technique needs some work, but I'm sure that will come with practice.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm just lazy I suppose. How much longer did it take you? I'd prefer not to make it a 15 minute affair if I don't have to. That was always the appeal of the electric. BAM you're done in like 3-4 minutes.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I find my electric takes me longer to get a clean shave than if I just use a razor.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

A clean shave? Sir, that's unthinkable. Unleash the Viking within.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

And run the risk of impregnating every woman in the room I step into? I think not, sir!

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

See, I rock the goatee. That means that you combine the worst aspects of shaving AND beard maintenance, as you have to both trim and shave.

My Norse genes appear to have failed me as I'm incapable of actually growing a full beard, so this is the best I can do.

20. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I can't even grow a goatee, I just have a patchy mess covering various bits of my face meaning I still have to shave regularly or else I end up looking like a sex offender. It's not a good situation, especially as my skin is as sensitive as a baby's.

Our Host!