Stocking The Alchemist's Shelves

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, Jan 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I like it.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Because the object of my current idolatry is a Finnish girl in my class I think you should give her a Finnish name: http://www.20000-names.com/female_finnish_names.htm

Oh, and the page contains thousands of names, male and female, from virtually every culture out there. In case you ever get stuck assigning a character a decent name.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

4. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Briny works. Gwen sounds more like a redheaded celtic-girl name, but I like Briony.

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Well, the culture she comes from is quite Celtic in feel, and the fact that the Sidhe actually exist in this world has had an interesting effect on some areas of life.

(Incidentally, I did wind up Googling 'Briony' last night, and apart from being the name of someone in some movie called 'Atonement', it's a Scottish and Irish name, common in the 18th century, which is a variant of the name of a white flower with pearl-like berries. I rather think it suits her.)

6. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

My ideas:

"Maiden tea" for contraception or abortion (probably sold under the counter, that one)
    Skin cream/alchemical Botox
    Orc dust, an alchemical dust for getting rid of troublesome orcs. (This is actually a con; it's just chimney-sweepings in a flimsy bag.)
    Odorless, tasteless laxatives to amuse your friends.
    Stink bombs containing concentrated orc fart
    Clothing-dissolving acid
    Bottled fairies!
    ---
    Oh, and on the subject of the Potion of Instant Tentacles, there's such a thing IRL...well sort of. (Yes, safe for sanity.)

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

You could even use these:

-Pills of Memory Block

-Cure Burns Liquid

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

What about a small greenhouse? I would expect your nicer alchemists to try'n'grow a few ingredients to common things to save on work.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I was actually thinking about her converting part of the warehouse into a garden for exactly this purpose. Wow, it's kinda creepy when that happens.

I'm busy working on Alchemical Paints right now, they're sitting happily in the back of my mind but don't seem to want to come out to play. Blast it, I am so sick of that happening! My alchemic notebook needs new recipes!

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm slowly writing out a webcomic script,* and so I've been building enviroments and rooms and things in my mind. ^_^

*Medieval Fantasy story. Waiting on initial sketches from my artist.

11. Arthgon

What about these for the garden?

-Bottle of Instant Plant Growth

Now you don't have to wait that long for the ingredients.

-Scarecrow Golem

-Liquid Spray of Insect Killer

-Canter of Fresh Water

You could also use the Alchemical Paints, to create actually objects or items. So when you draw something, this will become real.

12. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Any alchemist should keep a jar of lubricant and a bull-gag hidden on the bottom shelf.

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Arthgon: in order, Got it already, a what???, what do you think magic is for, what do you think plumbing is for.

Bob... you're sick.

14. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

A scarecrow golem. Gets my vote. Can point people in various directions with sexual innuendos such as "of course some people do go both ways" while seeking a full fledged wizard to give him a brain to revolt against his alchemist tyrant of an owner.

Another object to include is a universal solvent. However it will constantly eat through any container you put it in.

15. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    How about a dancing golem out front to bring in costomers. It could sing "a wizards staff has a knob on the end".

And the canteen of fresh water is a good idea if you don't have access to fresh water. I picture more if a canteen of water purification, but you could use pills or powders for that.

16. Arthgon

It could even sing the Hedgehog Song.

You could use the Powder of purification for that as well.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Oh, now I have to use my latest idea.

There's a pub called the 'House of Lords'. It's crazy, it's weird, unexpected shit happens there on a daily basis, and only people who meet some unknown standards are tolerated beyond the first night. Keaton will, of course, be a regular (he's completely nuts and sarcastic), and he's going to bring Briony along one night... There will of course be cameos, but I will choose who and how, so don't bother sucking up for one. Hell, asking for one will reduce your chances.

Call it a sneaky little thank you for all the crazy ideas and brain damage.

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Can I have a cameo?

I could not resist.

19. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Ok, just for that I need to read it as soon as you're done :)

Would you be changing our names or would you copy our names directly?

20. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Any numbers in the name of a cameo could be a referencing code to let people know just how many modifications their bodies have gone through. Numbers at the front could reference alchemical methods of physical modification, numbers at the end reference alchemical methods of mental modification, and numbers sporadically located throughout the name could mean they were just born from the shallow end of the gene puddle.
    "This is my son 5t3v3n. He's a class 5 farming homonculous but he fell down the well last winter. The 3rd degree burns damaged his 3rd quandrant."
    "I see. That explains the drool but I'm having difficulty understanding how a well was filled with fire."

Our Host!