Stay awhile and listen...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zanza, May 15, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Who else is jumping on the Diablo 3 bandwagon in less than two hours?

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I'd do it if I had my own computer. Had to recycle the old rig a few days ago, which pretty much means even if it still worked I couldn't take part in this awesome (looking) game.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I will give an unbiased mini review of my first impressions over the next couple of days.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

My laptop isn't powerful enough to run it, so unfortunately I won't be getting it now. Maybe in a couple of years or so when I have a better one and they're done releasing the expansion(s) too.

I think the real money auction house sounds like an interesting idea, I wonder if people will start playing Diablo III as a profession?

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That actually sounds awesome. Can you imagine telling your spouse you were going to work and then walking to your computer and playing Diablo 3 for 8 hours a day?

6. Jojobobo

7. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Awesome game so far. Other than the servers being down all the damn time (lol singleplayer game what) making play impossible for large chunks of time, it's been enjoyable.

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tojt8QhKrrk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tojt8QhKrrk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

9. Jojobobo

I never tire of seeing that clip, but why?

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Everything I read from blizzard and on game sites about Diablo 3, it's features, gameplay, etc. I was unimpressed and pissed off. I currently have no interest in it and don't see that changing anytime soon. So, I will likely never buy it.

11. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Aye, I was never interested in the first two installments so I will not be acquiring or playing Diablo III. Still, it's fun to hear the buzz around the office when games like this and Starcraft II are released.

Have fun, gents!

12. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

My friends have been playing for a week now and here are my impressions. I have not played a minute myself, this comes from 20 hours of watching, so make of it what you will.

The Good:
    -Graphics of the game world are very beautiful, it feels like a moving painting. It is not at all too "light" as people were fearing.
    -There is much fine loot to be had.
    -You can make your own weapons with the crafting system, and they don't suck.
    -You can recover gems from socketed weapons.
    -The cinematics are very good.
    -The amount of situational dialog (i.e. what class you're playing, what companion you've got.) is impressive and contains some interesting conversations.
    -It plays like Diablo II (click-click-click-ooh, cool-click click etc)
    -Evey class has flashy abilities that make you feel kick-ass awesome and powerful.

The Middle:
    -The interface feels like a harsh imposition over the game, it does not blend well with the environment on screen.
    -I've not yet seen any loot truly WORTH having. And where are the set pieces? (None have dropped yet even in Nightmare difficulty)
    -Items come with far fewer sockets.
    -It is hard to die on Normal difficulty (i.e. impossible save from negligence).
    -The destructible parts of the environments are only there for pretties.

The Bad:
    -Even the cracks, dust and slime look "clean."
    -The camera stays fixed at all times, guaranteeing the best presentation of the assets, but adding to the inflexibility of the game world.
    -On that note - THE WORLD FEELS DEAD. This was arguably the case in Diablo II; the small number of NPCs just standing around, the lack of size or change in the hubs, but it feels worse here for some reason. The game is frustratingly static.
    -Despite the quality of the cinematics, the storyline they present is...unimaginative. The better ones lie at the start of the game (and they've released those as trailers, for the most part)
    The game starts out with a bang and ends with a whimper - Act IV, where you follow Diablo into heaven, is both too short and too boring. The graphics here are also provoke the least interest - the light of heaven is being warped by forces of hell, and all I can think is "meh, seen better." This is a problem.
    -There are no choices in the game where it comes to roleplay. You can customize your skill set up the wazoo, but there are no divergent story lines, not even multiple outcomes for one-shot quests. This feels very weird alongside the dialog which reacts to you as though you were a unique character.
    -No companions in multiplayer.

Leaving aside the always online requirement/debacle, Diablo III is an extremely competent and pretty face, that has not managed to surpass it's predecessor. It's quite odd, the amount of polish and content this game offers should be my dream come true, yet for some reason almost all of it's enhancements bug me. Objectively, the combat gameplay is rock-solid, but I wanted more than that. Diablo III has a soul, but it feels strangely weak. The bottom line is simple - Diablo III makes me want to play Diablo II.

13. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you posted Sir, especially the part about the storyline. It feels pretty weak and incomplete. You can literally TASTE the expansion pack when you beat it on normal. However, the increased flavor with lore texts and shit was nice, that part they certainly did right.

You might recall that (arguably) one of the best parts of D2, the skill synergy system, was introduced something like 4-5 years after the game released proper. I'm curious what the continuing support will be like for this game.

Not having access to all skills at all times (only 6) forces strategic play for sure, but I'm not sure it makes it more fun. Especially if you play a wizard and can't use half the buff skills since swapping them in and out all the time is annoying as FUCK.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Just enough buttons to work on a console controller...

Our Host!