Stat cap clarification

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Eat shit and die, Jan 24, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Eat shit and die

Eat shit and die New Member

I remember trying Arcanum out sometime last decade, can't quite recall why I didn't finish it.

Anyway, planning a new playthrough but I'm not sure I quite get stat caps. Looked around a bit and here's what I understand so far:

1)Racial bonuses let you go over 20
    2)Racial penalties keep you under 20
    3)Background bonuses can make up for a racial penalty up to 20. Eg. sickly half-ogre can get IN 20. But they won't let you go further over 20 than a racial bonus allows.
    4)Background penalties won't prevent you from reaching the racial cap. It will just cost more CP.

Now for my question: how do bonuses from items/blessings/spells work into this? Are they similar to background bonuses that they can boost racially inhibited stats, but only up to 20? Or will my tech-ogre's machined plate boost his ST to 27?

As you can probably tell I'm thinking of a Master playthrough with a couple of superm... err half-ogre buddies clad in powera... machined plate and electrified tophats wielding flaming axes. Should be fun.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Yup, only up to 20.

3. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Not true.

4. Eat shit and die

Eat shit and die New Member

Hmm, yeah, this is quite weird. Looks like those half-ogres can always pump their ST to 24, but other stats can indeed have lower caps because of backgrounds. Guess I should've tested more than one stat before drawing conclusions.

Thanks for the replies. I heard magic is OP in this game so I was almost certain I was missing out on ST&DX 40 by not going the melee-with-magic-buffs route, but I figure I can do that in plenty of other games. Although I guess a tempusfugited posse would still be more powerful than what I'm going for, oh well.

Our Host!