*SIGH* its hard being evil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by backstabber, Jun 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. backstabber

backstabber New Member

after a series of role-playing games, i found that its very hard to be a COMPLETELY evil bastard. who shares this sentiment???

reasons:
    1. in some games you can't be evil.
    2. if you are evil you dont get discounts at the stores
    3. you get chased by every guard
    4. in some games, when you CAN mass-murder everyone, like arcanum, you actually cannot murder more than 300 NPCs, which is very unsatisfactory.
    5. you are scared that if you kill this ass you wont be able to complete certain quests
    6. some games don't allow you to murder NPCs. (daiblo2 comes into mind)
    7. you feel a strange disturbance when you finally decide to go on a killing rampage, then you decide not to because you feel your conscience at work.
    8. you don't save after a killing rampage.
    etc.etc.

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Being evil is not appropriate to every setting, but if it's done, it should be done right. Arcanum and Fallout did evil right, but other games such as NWN treated evil as 'good, but for money'.

And yeah, it usually is harder being evil, and there could be a multitude of reasons for that, such as the teaching of subconscious lessons that it's hard and not very rewarding to break the law. Or it could just be it wasn't thought through properly.

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I have been told that there are over 1,000,000 NPCs in Grand Theift Auto & you can kill all of them. Happy?

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I think being totally evil requires some effort, but you can be marginally evil without working for it. The same thing goes for being good. In general, the extremes are harder to get and maintain.

5. bottledbubbles

bottledbubbles New Member

I can think of a few ways to be evil and still get discounts...

I hated that in Diablo. I was never fond of the game anyway, but there were many instances where I wanted to at least maim some of the NPCs and couldn't.

6. backstabber

backstabber New Member

really??? 1mil???im gonna get that

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a good game..very violent. I like violent. :evil:

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

This is a textbook example of how a blanket 'freedom of speech' declaration can backfire on you.

9. backstabber

backstabber New Member

so do i. violent is good.

10. backstabber

backstabber New Member

???
    we dont get no media freedom here.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I was talking about Chaos's comment, not yours. The great American constitution basically ensures anyone can buy pretty much anything without any age restriction, because that would be imposing on their 'right' to freedom of speech. Yet they wonder why there are so many school shootings and general violence, choosing to blame the flavour of the month scapegoat, instead of - shock horror - imposing restrictions on the youth they want to protect. Because, as everyone knows, its far more cruel to set limits and restrictions until their minds are ready to deal with certain concepts than it is to warp them in the name of freedom...

12. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

IMHO, the problem is not violence, either in games or movies or TV, but the depiction of guns & violence as problen solving tools. It doesn't matter wether you are watching a good guy or a bad guy, if he has a problem he reaches for a gun. The basic difference between the good guys & the bad guys is the good guys hit things they aim at. (Have you ever wondered if there is a bad guy's school of mismarksmanship out there somewhere?) Is the problem really that everyone who is raised with TV sees 5,000 killings before first grade? Or that those killings are treated as a rational, if illegal, act?

That said, there is a great study that shows TV usage & crime stats in several countries, Canada & South Africa at least. The curve for TV ownership & the one for violent crimes are almost identical in shape, but displaced by 20 years.

My 23 YO roomate in Seattle has not gotten in one baroom brawl since he got GTA. It used to be a fairly regular thing.

14. gamenut

gamenut New Member

nah. there are more. believe me. i've killed more than 1 mil just to see how many there were.

15. Langolier

Langolier Member

I recall going on a rampage for about two hours, eventually i stopped because i couldnt find anyone. The only place NPC's appeared was by the police station. No cars appeared at all. So i think it iis possible to run out.
    I'm not sure I agree with the whole idea that violence on TV influences lots of people. It may influence a few dumbasses (like Jackass wannabees). I think school shootings have more to do with the attitudes of people in that school. Now this may not be EVERY case, but i think its deffinetly a large part. Often racial or social persecution can drive people to violence.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

This is a good point Shady. The point is, though, that kids are now raised on violence, and both seeing and the subconscious moral messages probably have a combined effect.

Obviously you haven't seen the movie Heat. It's the reverse in that - the cops can't hit anything, and the bad guys hit the cops in the head using an assault rifle one handed (the other hand is occupied holding the hostage in front of them).

17. xento

xento New Member

I'd like to see that! I'm sick of that crap like Walker, Texas Ranger, for example, who can hit a guy from ten to twenty yards away with a simple pistol, but can't be hit, even when being shot at with an automatic gun!

Either the creators of those things are buttheads, or they don't want to may the poor, little main actors look bad.

Heck, they are probably buttheads, anyway.

The only good movies is when it is at LEAST 50/50, with even the main characters being very heavily injured.

18. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Anyone here ever seen the movie Behind Enemy Lines, I allmost sent a mailbomb to that director after i saw the last scene in that movie.

Hey, retard now i will soon go to my sommerjob, wich will be taking care of retards so they don't hurt themselves. Wiping their arses and so on.

19. xento

xento New Member

Have a good time. There is much dignity in wiping asses.

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Uhh, lucky you?

Seriously, get Cottonelle Double-Quilted T.P. It's soft. Also, be sure not to chafe.

Our Host!