Sid Meier's Pirates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Dec 29, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Anyone else here playing Sid Meier's Pirates? No, not just 'Pirates' that's Sid Meier's Pirates. So far it's fun. I'm still on the easy skill level (which seems to be really, really easy) but it's fun sailing around and pirating and stuff.

2. Settler

Settler Member

I've only played it at at friend's place (read: WATCHED friend play :p), but it looks awesome...the higher difficulty levels should challenge you for a while, but whether the game lasts really depends on how must you like it as it is now :S ...

But there are heaps more options to change when you play your second game, it turns out your first file is a tutorial of sorts.

ANYWAY. If you take one thing away from this post, it should be this: CUSTOM FLAGS. Sailing 'round the Caribbean under this is a joy...

[​IMG]

3. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Ahh yes, Pirates!. I have only just this afternoon purchased a copy of said game. It looked very good sitting on the shelf in EB's, but I thought it would look a lot better in my grubby little hands... and indeed it does. so in a few minute's I'm going to install and probally pull an all-nighter... and then I might play the game.

4. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I've been hearing a lot of cool things about SM's Pirates!, I'm defintely going to get when I have the chance.

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

it's next on my list... having already spent a small fortune on christmas, i'm required to wait at least a month :cry:

6. DarkUnderlord

At the moment I'm going along friendly ports, getting men to join my crew and then raiding Spanish ports and installing English Governors. I especially like how you can raid a large port, get 5,000 gold but not break it, raid it again, raid it again and raid it again before it finally lets you install a new governor. All in all, port raiding is the most profitable enterprise, me thinks.

I've been dividing the loot and increasing the skill level each time. I like the way sword duels are handled though it does seem to be a bit easy to simply 'thrust' just after your opponent makes a move as if to swing. You can always get in first before he completes his swing.

I've killed 7 of the other pirate captains in the game and they all died the same way with the 'cut the rope and the swinging barrel knocks them into the ocean' animation. A bit boring when they ALL die that way (well, except for one when I erm... accidentally blasted all 40 cannons into his side when I meant to board him - he sunk, along with all his treasure :( ).

It's one of those games where you only intend to play for a few minutes and next thing you know, it's 3 hours later and you just want to get this last ship or that port over there or...

7. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I JUST FINISHED VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE - BLOODLINES!!!

Having played it for almost five full days, I just want to say it's a wonderfull game, a bit combat heavy in the end only, some bugs (two CTDs and a sometimes fucked up 3D person mode). Playing as a melee Brujah the combat was a bit easy though.

GO GET IT NOW!!!

8. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Oh my god Vampires is teh good shit. Tremere are such pimps.

I find Pirates gets boring after a short time and they didn't take enough from Pirates of the Carribean and it's mods.

9. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

I prefer Assamite myself. Cain't beat a killer's killer...sorta ironic :???:

10. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Can you explain what an Assamite is please?
    In the PC game you can only play as a Ventrue, Toreador, Tremere, Brujah, Gangrel, Nosferatu and Malkavian. The only other clan I know about apart from these and this is only a bit is the Tzimisce.

11. DarkUnderlord

You know, if you like it so much, you could take some screenshots of it for our gallery. :)

12. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Where's the gallery? I think I got some

13. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Well, right now I have 85 screens, you want them all? I could go back and take some ones from the beginning too, before I figured out how to take them, as I've got 226 saves (about three minutes between).

14. DarkUnderlord

That hunking image up the top of the forum. See how one of them words on it says "Gallery"? Well that's not it. It's just a ruse.

Mathboy: Yes, all please and anymore you can take. You should be able to access the upload button as a member of staff.

HOWEVER, DO NOT UPLOAD THEM JUST YET. We're almost ready to move, I just have to shift the database and we're ready to go. Give it a few days.

EDIT: Okay, upload away!

15. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I uploaded one, I don't have access to the Screenshots area for Vampire, maybe because there are no files there?

Anyone know a good program/way to convert lots of files from .tga to .jpg?

16. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

XnView does it for me but maybe photoshop could too.

EDITE: http://www.xnview.com/

I can't upload anything. It says general error and that I'm not authorized (wonder why).

17. DarkUnderlord

Hrm. Go here: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/albu ... ?cat_id=16

Does hitting "Upload" in there let you upload any files? It should do as you should have access as a member of the Staff Group.

By the way, it's also possible to upload a whole wad of images all at once. PM me and I'll let you know how.

Try: http://www.bykeyword.com/downloads/soft ... ad-11.html

Our Host!