Shop and Stock

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Lone Ranger, Aug 11, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger New Member

I just realise something strange in Black Root. It appears to me that both the inventor and tailor there does not seem to refresh their inventories. After buying/stealing everything from him, he never restocks anymore. Therefore I can only get charges from the inventor and foreman in Tarant, which is not enough. The tailor, on the other hand, never stocks top hats and the 6 robes that I sold her a while ago are always there everytime I return to check her stock. Is that a bug or what?

Oh, and I keep hearing talk around these forums regarding the editing of .mes files. Where can one locate such .mes files? I've searched my entire com for it.

Does anyone have any idea how to break into the inventor/herbalist store in Tarant? Prowling doesn't seem to work; there's an idiotic guard and a newspaper guy standing so nearby.

One final thing, it would seem that reaction level is not the only factor when shopkeepers determine their buying/selling price. For example, Lloyd Gurloes, whose reaction level is 78, pays me only 10 coins for a fine steel dagger while the dwarven smith in Tarant pays me 11 coins, and his reaction level is 53. Strange, it seems.

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Not sure about the tailor, but I believe the Black Root's inventor's inventory is bugged. If you steal from him once, he will never restock again. If you don't steal, I believe he will keep restocking as per usual.

3. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The mes files that you need to access to modify that behavior would be located in the Arcanum4.dat file and you will need one of the three undat programs available to access it. Alternatively, you can just download either the InvenSource Hack or my Ship's Cabin and Cargo Hold Hack which includes it and several other fixes and hacks, plus a lot of other goodies. Wait a day or two if you want my hack because I'm about to release a new version with a couple of fixes and a new background.

I've personally never had any problem with stealing from the Inventor in Black Root, but I use the InvenSource Hack and that may significantly alter the behavior of that inventory so that it eliminates whatever bug was originally present, if any. I've never bothered trying to steal from the Tailor there, but she doesn't normally carry Top Hats because she is a rural tailor. You will find that some items that you sell to merchants will stay in their inventory for a long time or even forever and that Tailors keep things longer than anyone else for some reason.

4. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

The inventor still restocks, and I robbed him... the only thing is that now his liking of me is down to 30, and so I can't get any of the good schematics from him.

5. Nik Reaper

Nik Reaper New Member

About the stealing bit you can put two coins on the oposite side of the room and unlock what ever you want when they go and get far enough to get the coins.

6. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

Or wait until they go to sleep, and then rob them. :)

7. chuftka

chuftka New Member

This has happened to me in both my recent games, with two different installs, one with unofficial patch, one without.

I am surprised I have not found more references to this bug on the internet anywhere. It seems very consistent.

Our Host!