Shock staff- worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Aug 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

In my search for a "Jayna friendly weapon"- a tech or neutral melee weapon with MSR<9 that would deal out decent damage at a decent speed- I have considered many weapons, but couldn't decide. The Balanced Sword and the Featherweight Axe are fast, but aren't dealing sufficient damage in Jayna's less than capable hands. She needs a weapon that deals damage independent of the ST, yet is faster than the Pyro axe. And so my attention turned to the weapon that is virtually always overlooked- the Shock Staff.

At first glance, it appears to satisfy my requirements. The MSR fits, the damage (de-facto) seems adequate, the declared speed looks ok. It eats way too many charges, but I am willing to live with that. BUT:

1)It appears that the Shock Staff only deals out Electrical damage half the time, otherwise acting like a normal staff
    2)Every time it does deal Electrical damage, my character's turn ends, even though I have plenty of action points left! What's up with that??? Is it a bug, or is it meant to be this way?

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

Well in my game it's worth while. I'm not sure what is "wrong" with it, but every time the electric-effect activates (which is with every blow that lands) it kills the target instantly. No matter what the target is or how powerful... It seems to be a continual effect...

IE: you have a strong enemy...

You land a blow...

This electric-graphic (looks like jolt) surrounds the enemy and quickly saps his HP (and my charges) until he dies. The strongest foes last a second or two and then drop dead.

So like I said...

I think mine is bugged because right now it is way more effective than the pyro-axe.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Umm wow. I want your bug.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

We all want that bug, I think.

5. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Isn't this normal shock staff behaviour, at least when you have charges?

But I dunno, I never used it.

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Wait, Langolier, a second or two? Are we talking real-time mode?

Because I was talking turn-based, and perhaps that's the catch- it deals damage per remaining action points!

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I like the shockiong staff for the reason that it can be turned into a tesla rod, which can be turned into a tesla gun.
    However...this is no bug. I noticed the same thing, but found it impractical, due to the charges I went through on certain enemies. However, the amount of charges I ended up using could have been a bug.

8. Langolier

Langolier Member

Yes, real-time. I guess it is normal? Seems a bit overpowered... way more overpowered than the Pyro-Axe. I mean the last time I used it my "expert" level (12 points) melee technologist was able to "thwack" his way through the entire game in nothing more than a nice suit. Gore Guards... thief gang in the sewer... you name it he could drop 'em all as fast as he could swing.

Edit: And yes it does gobble up charges. Almost balances it out... Almost. I don't even use the shocking staff anymore because it makes the game way too easy.

Our Host!