Sex and relationships

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by ville-v, Nov 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

First of all... Ditto to Philes' second comment there. Well put end entirely true.

Second... I'm not a bitch IRL. I am snarky and given to a great deal of cynicism, but I'm not vicious or cruel. What you see here is me unfiltered, snark and exhaustion and a hatred of idiocy given full rein.

2. jewlguy

jewlguy New Member

ok, this is just laughable now. i'm sure you're all just okay with yourselves and after you are done with your group hug and reciprical backpatting; you should think about where others forte may be. i'm not completely astonished that you find my comunication abhorant, but amazed by the fact that ones who deem themselves so above others, base your opinion of me on certain comunication skills.
    while i am sure you all have a bent to writting, my outlets are somewhat askew from yours. i am a jewelry designer/artist. i've won dozens of international awards, and have spoken, and been hosted in numerious universities and museums. i am quite sure i could look at you as an "idiot" , if you were to walk into my studio, or into a gathering of my friends. but however ignorant and rough around the edges you seemed in the techniques and etiquite involved in my circles, i don't think you would be treated thusly in my "home"
    that would be a narrow minded, perspectively oriented conclusion, my friend. it's fine to see that way, but be aware of its folly.

in retrospect, i knew better. i tend to rather put myself into enviroments that are not quite as dark and pointy as this forum. this is not the stimulus i care for.....
    have fun playing with yourseves (didn't mean it that way , but what the hell, i'll leave it as a touching farewell)

3. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    So people who agree with each other that your posts need improvement are in a clickish conspiracy against you.

We do. We make great allowances for those where English isn’t there native language. Also for those who have other legitimate issues that cause them difficulty.
    Lazy typing is not a legitimate issue.

Because we don’t want you to be lazy, we’re elitist. I get it.

Your laurels mean nothing on the internet.

And we are the elitists?
    You’re probably correct. However, I bet both they and you would do so if our problem was not lack of knowledge or training, but simply being lazy and not bothering to try.

And you did it anyway?

Yes, run off and get a good suckle at whatever teat you use.

Not bothering to capitalize is just lazy. You had potential, I think, but I hope you don't come back. Then you would be lazy AND a liar.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

DarkFool, while your explanation is coherent enough, it still doesn't make sense. In his first post Eugene Xavier demonstrated himself to be a capable contributor to the community; it wasn't until he was treated snidely that his manners broke down. It seems as if he was provoked simply for the sake of creating an excuse not to treat him with respect. On some level I can see the utility in dropping people in the fire to see how they handle the situation, but I see no use in faulting them for objecting to being dropped in the fire in the first place. Furthermore, I deny the necessity of dropping them in the fire at all.

So you deliberately limit your rude behavior to an online forum where you do not have to fear retribution from those you might offend. How conveniently remote of you.

For proponents of grammar, you certainly are selective of upon whom you apply your ridicule.
    Nobody raked anybody else over the coals for these glaring errors.
    Nobody's perfect, and through his vocabulary alone jewlguy has proven that he's not a fool. My point is, if others have to tolerate your decision to be rude, why can you not abide somebody else's decision not to capitalize his sentences?

On a lighter note, I have found we have several personalities directly out of Arcanum at play here in the forums:
    Xiao_Caity playing the role of Sammie as she harasses passersby for the simple sport of it,
    DarkFool as Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe who appreciates a well-formed response,
    and
    papa_dog_1999 as Lukan as he just cannot seem to find the appropriate word for the circumstance. (it's "cliquish")

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Hey! It was one bleedin' typo that I would have fixed if I'd had the time! *grumble* I kid, I kid. Even those of us who write for 9 - 10 hours a day make the occasional typo.

Also, Davis, the behaviour I exhibit here is just me UNFILTERED, and it's nowhere near as evil as I am capable of being. Mostly what you see here is the result of either a.) exhaustion or b.) open stupidity on the part of the person I'm going at. If I can remember the thread, I'll point you towards a prime example of me at my worst.

If you want to see a forum full of genuine arseholes which I used to be a part of, go check out the Battle Forum archives, assuming they haven't pissed off their host server yet again... (They were so psychotic they got booted off three servers while I was there, although admittedly that was mostly because the old guard made the mistake of letting McClaud handle that stuff...)

6. TheDavisChanger

I have no issue with your typographical error, I mean to point out that you do not police each other (or yourselves) as severely as you police unassuming strangers.

I understand that you're unfiltered here, my point is that you choose to disengage your filter and provoke others only when you have nothing to fear for doing so. Additionally, admitting that you are behaving at a fraction of your capacity for evil is by no means a justification for acting in any capacity of evil.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Oh, bollocks to ya. We all had to survive a right butt-kicking and hazing when we first got here. It's practically a rite of passage. This forum is nothing as outright vicious as it could be, and indeed has been. If you can't handle us and our way of thinning the herd, smeg off.

8. TheDavisChanger

So be it. I take my leave of you.

I'm off to Second Life to have some sex!

9. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I have to ask you: Why do you even fucking care? I'm not trying to be a prick with this question either. You aren't the first rookie to come traipsing in and expect everything to be all sunshine and daisies on the boards and then blindly fire off scud missles in every direction you detect a flame coming from. And this isn't the first 'net community to enjoy a little hazing of newbies fresh off the meat wagon. And don't think we do this just because we're on the internet either. You find this kind of shit everywhere in life from the schoolyard playgrounds to corporate America (insert country of current residence if desired). But the one thing you have to ask yourself is: If my skin isn't thick enough to handle this, why do I even waste my time here?

Seriously, you wouldn't expect an entire community to change their ways just because one little noob's feelings were hurt, would you?

EDIT:
    Fuck. Swing'n'a'miss!

10. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Good one, actually.
    Spellchecker is not always my friend.
    At least, though, I usually try to get it correct. Which is more than jewlguy was doing. I little effort goes a long way.

11. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

*pouts*

I'm gone on vacation for a week and I seem to have missed all the fun... :'(

12. TheDavisChanger

Well, "clickish" was close enough for my needs, but then again so was jewlguy's capitalization.

To GrimmHatter,
    I was irked by the fact the people were treated rudely for no apparent reason. No doubt feelings were hurt and people were put on the defensive, which are two uncomfortable circumstances that I do not wish on people unless they do something for which they deserve to be put in those circumstances.
    As a newcomer, I had no specific expectations of these forums, but what I discovered was immediate static and aggression. Furthermore, I did not drop into the forum with guns blazing--if anything the scuds I fired were heat-seeking and found their targets in already established sources of flame.
    I understand that intimidation and criticism has been found elsewhere on the Internet before and persist on playgrounds and even in professional settings, but these examples do not serve as justification for their occurrence here.
    To the contrary, two other members of these forums claimed that they do not behave as rudely in other situations as they do here in this forum that happens to be online.

To be fair, my previous post was a joke and I am not quitting the forums to pursue sex in Second Life. Clearly my skin is thick enough to weather whatever words people decide to publish here as I am addressing your questions and comments. Many would argue that engaging in this sort of banter in online forums is in fact a waste of time, but I spend my time as I choose. I could just as easily ignore you and everyone else, but I choose not to.

No, I do not expect a group of people to change their ways simply because I speak out against those ways, but that shouldn't discourage me from making comments that I feel are relevant.

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Though this is aimed at Grimm, I have a few questions.

1 - Why should we care about another's feelings?

2 - The snark here is very high, it's even in the FAQ that everyone is supposed to read and nobody does. If the FAQ basically says we will tear you a new one for whatever reason we feel, why shouldn't we adhere to it?

14. XIphIas_gLadIus

XIphIas_gLadIus New Member

Hi! I'm new here(First post) and I wanted to say that the snark alone is the reason I joined(It amuses me).

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Someone who joined because we're snarky bastards? *loopy giggle* I'm so very proud.

16. TheDavisChanger

Oh! A first-time poster! Let me show him the what for!

Ahem, you sir are an asshole for posting here.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You are so very poor at this, not to mention that you're coming across as a giant twat.

18. TheDavisChanger

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

20. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Yeah man, you've got one homie cheerin' for you right here! You kick his ass!

Our Host!