Serious questions about Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Murray the miser, Dec 1, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Hello friends and fellow adventurers. I'm a big fan of Arcanum and played it several times, good- and bad-aligned, magick-, mêlee-, technical or persuade-skilled (altough is pretty tough as a non-fighter, those zombies and golems aren't the chatty kind). I played it back in the days when I was a kid, until today. I somehow never grow tired of this game.
    Anyways, trough all those hours of joy, I do felt something trough my entire gamplay, that there was something wrong with this world. I don't exactly know what it is but it's there. Like a splinter in my mind driving me mad. It's that feeling that brought me here, to this forum. Do you know what I'm talking about?
    Exactly!
    Where are the toilets?
    I searched trough whole world of Arcanum and there is no single bathroom to find! I do expect the peasants of Shrouded Hills to take their dump outside their shabby hutts, but devloped cities like Tarant or Caladon? They even have a sewer-system? But for what? Well, maybe thats where the people go after their business. But with all the giant-rats and even worse monsters lingering down there, that's the last place I would go to for a number two. Also since Tarant sealed half of the entrance it wouldn't even be possible for a normal citizen to go down there?

When you enter Tarant, there is the quest with Matthew Jameson, who lost his wedding ring in the sewers. He tells you that he washed his hands and the ring fell off. So there must be some kind of bathroom. But where?

The other thing which always bothered me is: where are Arcanum's children? Trough all my quests trough the entire world of Arcanum I didn't expect to find female dwarfs, but in the whole World there is no single child to find. No dwarven-, no elven -, human-, ork-, or half-oger-kid. Gilbert Bates talks of his time as a child with the dwarfes. Stennar even rembered him as a child. So it's not possible that the people get born as full-grown beeings. It also seems, that as human-or ork-character you're playing as the the youngest beeing in the world of Arcanum (not if you play as elve or dwarf, of course). My theory is that some kind of impact, maybe technical, maybe magick or even both, caused some infertillity. I mean how can you have so much unprotected intercourse with the prostitutes at Madame Lills without getting them pregnant. Maybe it was (attention! Spoiler) Kerghans doing, to make all people infertile to stop the population, so he wouldn't have to kill babys at his return. Maybe even Kerghan has a hard time to kill babies.

There are many other questions unaswered, like how can the plants survive without rain, or does it only rain, while you're asleep or inside a dungeon?
    Or where does all the stuff get produced like CK-Sugar or those Headache-Pills? Shouldn't there be some kind of factory? Or does it all get produced at Bates factory?

Well, let me know if you have some response to my doubts about the incresible world of steamworks and magick obscura.

2. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

Condoms already existed in the 1800's (and long before that, too), and most licensed brothels around the world are themselves legally required to provide protection for its clients. Sleep well, my friend.

Our Host!