Realism

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Muro, Apr 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Why would I want to that when I could just slit yours instead, hmmm?

3. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Excuse me, miss Xiao. You're breaking the law. You're being too awesome without a permit.

4. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Remember, the mission of the Hand agents was to find and kill the crash survivor. They seem to prefer ambushing unwary prey, and nothing says 'watch out' quite like a trail of bodies!

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

6. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

No, seriously. Buy a permit, you cheapskate.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm too lazy to respond to all of the remarks here... but I'll hit a few.

Imagine that you get a band of people together. With a huge amount of precision, you have everyone go through the shrines, each in the proper order. Say, however, that someone did it in the wrong order, or switched two of the altars, and when you get to Velorien's altar, either the first person steps on, and dies, or the whole GROUP does. Would you step on it after that?

It's a prison island. That means that people sail there occasionally. Therefore they're going to have a dock, and it wouldn't be that hard to locate.
    Again, if there's already a dock because of a previous habitation, how is this that difficult to believe?

I believe you recover scrolls of invisibility off one/several of these individuals, if memory serves. The explanation is simple: they snuck past everything on the upper levels, but then the spell wears off, and they're suddenly in the middle of a crowd of kites! eek![/quote]

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    That kite battle is immensely annoying with most characters and, the trap-ridden corridor, is the grand finale of the Evil that is the BMC mines.

However, Fireflash is awesome in that place.

10. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Are you advocating fireflash over harm?
    Or just spotting it for the group kite ass-raping?

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    I was going for the mass destruction. One well-placed Fireflash and you'll have kites flying in all directions like skittles. Harm is the most awesome general utility spell in the game, but should you encounter a bunch of diminutive assholes attacking you en masse, Fireflash can only be trumped by a cleverly placed dynamite.

12. papa_dog_1999

Media:
  13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Surgical precision is hardly needed when the situation calls for collateral damage.

14. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    No doubt.
    I'm a firm believer in two things in a conflict.
    -ranged weapons
    -over kill.

Horde of Kites = tac. nuke = win.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It's obvous that no, yet 3k years is really enough time so that there would be a party which would suceed.While in Arcanum it seems that no known expedition has even tried, nor had a proposition for what Mazzerin's Mystery is all about.

DarkFool, the next quotes which you, well, quoted, were mine words as well, not Cunnington's.

There doesn't seem to be any dock, just a clear sandy place where the ship stopped. Yet I earlier stated that my arguments about the Isle of Despair and Half-Ogre Island weren't right when I realised, that the Isle of Despair camp and HO factory could have been easily seen from the sea. My primary argument is still actuall for Thanatos, though.

They only had scrolls of sense invisible, not invisible scrolls. In theory they could have had them before entering and used them off before the Living one came in, but just think about the prices: there were dozens (what, twenty? More? I'm not sure) of Molocheans in the Black Mountain Clan. A 5th level scroll is absurdly expensive, depending on barter it still is several thousand. Just think how much would it cost to give all those Molocheans invisibility to enter the mines, even if it took just one scroll per trooper. A little too much to bother.

However:
    Yes, I know see that it would be the best tactic to do so, even if it meant sneaking past kites. I still have no idea how they did it, but I least I know what was the aim to do so.

Fireflash deals more damage than harm, and it since it takes the triple amount of harm's fatigue, it simply is the better choice in a situation, when you can hit three or more oponents with fireflash.

16. Archmage Orintil

Well, I can't exactly slit my wrists if I'm going to drink myself to death, now can I? I sort of need those tendons in order to hold the bottle. I know I'm as omnipotent as one can get, but even I can't die in multiple ways.
    Ever try mixing fireflash and disintegrate in a custom spell with a 5000 range? Bar none the most effective method of getting rid of doors, windows, chests, and all those pesky npc's in a city.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I don't care if you wanna drink yourself to death. Now I want somebody to lose their wrists and because you suggested it you get the honour of being my vic... er, test subject. Yeah, test subject sounds better.

Harm = Big fella goes bye-bye.
    Fireflash = Multitude of peons get seriously PWNED.
    Rock Throw = Hello Mr. Golem, bye-bye Mr. Golem.

18. Archmage Orintil

We could always just choose someone new to victimize as a wrist slitting victim. Hell, make it numerous people. We might actually learn the most effective wrist slitting techniques for future posterity.
    I already tried the mass harm thing. It wipes the map of npcs, but not doors, windows, or chests. Pity. I haven't tried mass rock throw yet tho', so there's hope.

19. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

This is a reference to something... and I recognize it... what is it?

Muro: I do see your point about Thanatos. I can't argue against you on that one. Blind, dumb luck? Also, it's been awhile since I played Arcanum, so I apologize for forgetting what scrolls they were carrying. They are, however, assassins. Doesn't it make sense for them to all be sneak masters? That's really the only argument I have against you. I really ought to make a magic character in Arcanum. I've never done it.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

"There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'." ~ Stolen from Schlock Mercenary, and the probably stole it from somewhere else...

Our Host!