Railroad City 1850

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Feb 28, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Very well, Lynx says and quickly follow Blake into the darkness.

    After a short corridor and another downward staircase out heroes arrive in a big square hall. Around them the darkness seems to press in on the light from the lantern, as though it had a shape and weight. The stones beneath them are ancient. Suddenly, a voice breaks the silence and a cloaked figure steps out of the shadows only a few metres ahead of them!

    Who enters my domain? it says, its voice like the combined whispers of a dozen dead souls.

    The signal from Blakes "sense alignment" makes his hair stand on end and gives him goosebumps all over. Evil. Eeeviiil!
     
  2. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Blake gets ready to cast dwemer shield on the robed figure, (3 FP) if things turn hostile, and says

    Hello! So sorry to intrude, just passing through! What is this place, if I might ask?


    He awaits the robed figure's answer with the spell on a quick trigger...
     
  3. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    This place belongs to me and my brethren, human, it whispers and raises a finger at Blake, Now answer my question!

    The air grows cold around our heroes. Lynx has grown visibly tense beside Blake, and is slowly reaching for bow and arrow.
     
  4. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Well it's a stupid question, isn't it? We do!

    Blake casts the spell, aiming to block the robed figure from all magick...
     
  5. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    The figure shimmers and disappears. It appears as though it was an apparation.

    I do not know what you did, but I am glad y-, Lynx begins, but is cut short by a distant shriek from somewhere in the darkness. The elf strings his bow and draws an arrow from his quiver.

    Flee or fight? he whispers.
     
  6. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Blake gets his breath back before taking the lantern and following the shriek.

    He appears completely oblivious to any risk, merely curious.
     
  7. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    There is a doorway at the far end of the hall which leads to another corridor. The walls of the corridor are adorned with reliefs of strange figures performing mysterious rites. The two adventurers arrive at a crossroads. Where to go? Before the adventurers can decide which of the two ways to persue a zombie comes charging out of the darkness, followed by two more walking corpses!

    Flip Initiative
    Lynx flips 1 success
    Zombie 1 flips 0 successes
    Zombie 2 flips 1 success (but acts after Lynx)
    Zombie 3 flips 1 success (but acts after Lynx)
     
  8. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Q2 + 1/1 heads initiative.

    Aargh!

    Blake jumps in fright and pees a little bit.

    *tactics*
    Having no weapons he will 1) panic and throw the lantern at the ground toward the undead and 2) use his heal spell (-1FP +2HP) on Lynx first then himself (only if needed).
     
  9. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx attacks one of the undead (zombie 1, AC:0 DR:0 HP:8)

    Attack flip 1 2/3 successes.

    Attack flip 2 1/3 successes.

    Attack flip 3 3/3 successes. Double damage!

    One zombie zombie falls over with three arrows stuck in its face.

    Another zombie gets stuck behind the firewall created by Blakes smashed lantern. The third makes it past (taking 1 damage in the process) and attacks Lynx!

    Zombie attack flip 2/2. Lynx takes 1 damage.
     
  10. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Blake 1) heals Lynx for two points, and continues to do so as long as necessary and, if no healing is required, 2) flails uselessly at the enemies.

    Does what Virgil does, in other words.
     
  11. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx goes first and shoots at the zombie attacking him, Legolas melee-style.

    Attack flip 1 2/3 successes.

    Attack flip 2 3/3 successes. Double damage!

    Attack flip 3 2/3 successes.


    The zombie falls over, dead as a ditch.

    The last zombie "alive" makes a break for it and charges Lynx.

    Zombie attack flip 1 1/2. Lynx's armor deflects the blow.

    Round 3

    Lynx decides it's time to spice things up and does the unexpected: he shoots at the zombie.

    Attack flip 1 1/3 successes.

    Attack flip 2 1/3 successes.

    Attack flip 3 1/3 successes.


    The zombie, not quite double-dead, tries to land a swing on the elf.

    Zombie attack flip 1 2/2 successes. Lynx takes 1 damage (which I assume is healed by Blake).

    Round 4

    One more arrow should do it...

    Attack flip 1 2/3 successes.

    ...and it does. The zombies are all dead, but the light from the burning oil is fading quickly. Our heroes will soon be engulfed in complete darkness.

    We should probably get a new lantern, or perhaps a torch. What do you think? And thank you for healing my wounds, I am in your debt.
     
  12. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Wow! Did you see that? Amazing! What's that? Oh don't mention it, old chap! As for lanterns... um, I guess I probably shouldn't have thrown the last one away...

    They cobble together a few torches using sticks and zombie-rags, and Blake gets his breath back.

    Lead on, good fellow! At this rate we shall be back at the hotel for supper! Huzzah!
     
  13. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx does as he's told and takes the lead, keeping an arrow on the string in case of more undead. The zombies came from the corridor to the right, so Lynx decides to take the safer option and goes down the left one. They don't have to walk for long before arriving at an old wooden door. Its frame is inscribed with ancient runes, slightly glowing of blue in the darkness. Lynx looks to Blake.

    Do we open the door, or do try the other way?
     
  14. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    May as well keep on keeping on, wot?

    Just give me a minute...


    Blake casts Disperse Magick on the door, in case that helps, then waits to catch his breath.

    Okay, I'm ready...

    He wields the torch like a club, not knowing what else to use if they encounter more foes, and attempts to open the door...
     
  15. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    The door swings open before them, revealing a square room with a vaulted ceiling. A small glass orb about the size of a fist is resting on a pedestal in the middle of the room. The air around the orb seems to be vibrating.

    I wonder what that is...
     
  16. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Blake does the most arrogant and naive thing possible in this situation, and picks up the mysterious orb.

    Well, it's ours now, right? Heheh... er....

    Something probably happens at this point to deflate his confidence.
     
  17. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    The vibration in the air stops instantly as Blake touches the orb. He feels weird, somehow, although he's unable to explain how or why.

    Stop! Wait!

    The robed man from before comes running towards them through the corridor. Lynx raises his bow and backs a few steps towards Blake. As the man enters the room and steps into the light, both our heroes notice that he is a really old elf.

    You fools! he exclaims, pointing accusingly at the both of them. You have no idea what evil you have done here today! I cannot allow you to leave this place after this. You will have to remain here... forever.

    The elf summons two zombies lightning fast and initiates combat.

    Initiative flip

    Lynx 1
    Zombie A 1
    Zombie B 1
    Robed man 2

    Describe tactics.
     
  18. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Initiative = Q2 + 0/1 heads ? or = 0/2 heads? Whatever, my Q is 2 and I flipped two tails in a row.

    Tactics: in order of priority...
    Cast Dwoemer Shield on the old elf (3FP)
    Cast Heal on Lynx if wounded HP _< 3 (1FP).
    Cast Heal on self if HP _< 4
    Flail at whichever zombie has the least HP.
     
  19. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,486
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    The robed elf begins.

    - The robed elf casts Disarm on Lynx, causing him to drop his bow
    - The robed elf casts Disarm on Blake, causing him to drop the torch (which by a stroke of luck isn't extinguished)
    - The robed elf casts Unseen Force on Lynx, causing him to crash into the wall behnd him (without taking any actual damage)

    Lynx's turn.

    - Lynx runs back to his bow
    - Lynx picks his bow up from the ground
    - Lynx shoots an arrow at zombie 1

    Attack flip 1/3 successes, Zombie 1 HP 6/8

    Zombie 1s turn.

    - Attacks Lynx

    Zombie attack flip 2/2 successes, Lynx takes 1 damage

    Zombie 2s turn.

    - Attacks Blake

    Zombie attack flip 1/2, Blake takes 2 damage

    YOUR TURN!
     
  20. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,385
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    YOU
    SHALL
    NOT
    CAST!


    *Dwoemer shield on old elf*
     
Our Host!