1. Please help us cover the costs of Terra-Arcanum's migration to Xenforo, Guest! More information is available here.
    Dismiss Notice

Railroad City 1850

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Feb 28, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    All roads lead to Tarant, city of a million souls in the centre of the supercontinent of Arcanum, and now, so do all railroads.

    As it was growing through the eastern forests and plains, towards distant Ashbury, the railroad delivered fantastic amounts of resources to the city, and people to the frontiers. As the rails were built, mostly by Orcish labourers, towns sprang up overnight.

    Every day the streets were filled with strange faces, drifters and immigrants from all over Arcanum, following the train line and its promised wealth.

    Among the many wild frontier towns, Railroad City was the most populous, and the most lawless. There was only one lawman, who had a level fifty moustache, but only six bullets in his sidearm.

    Mostly, he relied on bounty hunters and mercenaries to keep the peace.
     
  2. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx was pretty new in town, had arrived only a fortnight ago from Tarant in the west. He was still equally awestruck and horrified by the behemoth of a city sitting on top of the Morbihan, and as such didn't pay much mind the bustling town he was currently in even though it too was fascinating to him. He was currently sleeping in a barn in the outskirts of the settlement and spent his days looking for employment or adventure, whichever presented itself first. It was hard not to alienate people though, being an elf in a world of humans, but that didn't stop him from trying.

    It just so happened that he'd decided to visit the town square today, and had gone straight to the news board to see if anything new had happened in the area.
     
  3. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    ***WANTED***
    [a picture is shown]
    DEAD OR ALIVE
    For armed robbery...
    Jack Thomson
    Aka Jack Frost

    200 gold pieces!!!
     
  4. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    His interest sparked, Lynx tries to memorize the face on the poster and then heads for the nearest bar. He isn't into drinking anything other than elvish wine himself, but the beggars and boozers of towns such as this often knew more than they let on. Once there, he approached the first beggar he could find. Picking up a gold piece and tossing it over to gain his attention, Lynx engaged the man in conversation.

    Hey there, friend. Know of any shady fellows coming through here recently?
     
  5. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    This beggar is an alcoholic, his brain is pickled and he takes your coin to the bar on autopilot without acknowledgement.

    A few coins later, it seems clear that all the beggars in this town are pickled alcoholics.

    Eventually, Lynx just tells the barman that he's looking for Jack Frost.

    "Who's asking?!" A menacing voice from the corner calls out.

    The crowd clears around a table in the corner where a poker game is underway. Jack Frost is there, standing up and showing his six shooter hanging ready at his side.

    The other patrons clear the space between the two men hastily, and the piano music comes to a comical halt as the pianist ducks for cover.

    *Lynx has 3 actions and 4 hp; his bow does 2 dmg and fires once per action; his armour requires 2 successes to pierce and subtracts 1 dmg from hits. (Ie, 2 successes to hit, nett 2 damage)
    *Frost has 2 actions and 8 hp; his gun does 3 dmg and fires once per action; no armor. (Ie, 1 success = 2 dmg, 3 = 4 dmg)
    *once combat begins, Lynx goes first with higher DX.
     
  6. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    You are a wanted man, Jack Frost. I am taking you in, dead or alive. Which will it be?
     
  7. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    "Fuck you, fucking elf!"

    The outlaw goes for his pistol!

    *begin combat, Lynx's turn*
     
  8. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx quickdraws an arrow, Legolas style, and shoots it at his foe.

    2/3 successes

    He fires another for emphasis...

    2/3 successes

    ...before kicking over a table. He hides behind it for cover.
     
  9. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Opponent takes 4/8 hp damage.

    Lynx gains +1 AC + 1 DR from cover, effectively shielded from damage.

    Frost is knocked back by the two arrows, takes a quick look at his odds, and runs out to the street.

    *next turn*
    Frost unhitches a horse and is galloping away (+1 AC; 2 successes to hit).
     
  10. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx storms after his prey, taking a shot as soon as he comes out through the door.

    2/3 successes

    He then unhitches a horse of his own and sets off after Frost.
     
  11. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    The arrow hits; Frost has 2/8 hp remaining.

    He shoots wildly from horseback, missing.

    Before Lynx can appropriate a horse, a voice stops him.

    "That ain't your horse, elf."

    Lynx has one last chance to shoot Frost before he disappears down the main street...
    (Three attacks, 2 heads required)
     
  12. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Given no other choice, Lynx tries to shoot the fleeing man down.

    Attack 1: 1/3 successes

    Attack 2: 2/3 successes

    Attack 3: 1/3 successes

    As soon as the third arrow has left his bowstring he sets of after Frost, or his body.
     
  13. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    The second arrow hits its target, killing the outlaw.

    His lifeless body falls from the horse which drags the corpse by the stirrups for a few yards before stopping.

    "Now that's your horse," says the old bystander to general laughter.

    Lynx heaps the dead outlaw onto the horse and leads it to the sheriff's office where he collects his 200 gold and, happily, a new horse.
     
  14. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Blake arrived by train and checked into a hotel with the last of the travel allowance his parents had given him.

    He'd probably need a job or something if he wanted to keep travelling before he took up his studies at Tulla, and he really did.

    Looking out the train window at the wild plains and distant mountains, he'd begun to feel like he never wanted to stop travelling. Of course, his adventures had only just begun...
     
  15. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Finding employment goes rather swift. There are big posters everywhere in the station saying:

    ASSISTANCE NEEDED WITH PROBLEMS OF MAGICAL NATURE.
    VISIT TARANTIAN RAILROAD COMPANY, FOREMAN'S OFFICE.
    ASSISTANCE WILL BE REWARDED WITH COIN.

    If Blake decides to investigate, he is met by a rather long line of would-be mages outside the foreman's door. Most are obviously fake, and are turned away one by one by a doorman wielding a pocket watch. The only other individual that truly stands out, apart from Blake himself, is an elf standing at the end of the long line.
     
  16. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Blake maintains a detect alignment spell while in public, so as to better spot assailants and allies. It splutters out as he nears the platform, but not before he gets a sense of the crowd.

    The elf is slightly more moral than average, so Blake feels comfortable striking up a conversation as they wait in line.

    Good morning! I say! You're an elf aren't you? Fantastic!

    He is arrogant and naive, but generally good natured, so Lynx is able to overlook his shortcomings, and they chat about the weather and the railroad before turning to magick.

    Seeing as the queue is so long, and they develop some mutual respect, it is suggested that they work together. Apart from anything else, Lynx expects that Blake wouldn't last long without someone looking out for him.
     
  17. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Lynx is happily surprised to find a fellow magician in the middle of tech-country. With their combined skills, both magical and otherwise, he feels confident they can solve any problem the foreman presents them with.

    Finally it's their turn, and they're let in without a second glance on the pocket watch. As they enter, a robed person exits. Blake can feel the smell of lavenders in its wake.

    The foreman is sitting in a chair that is too small for him behind a desk so ornamented it looks stolen. He is a large, muscular man in his mid 50s and sports a mustache as well as a pair of spectacles. His eyes greets them with a thoughtful frown. So you're the real deal, eh? he rumbles, Who would've thought. Anyway, we got ourselves a situation uprail towards Ashbury, and we need someone of the magical persuasion to fix it. Seems like our boys over there have run into some kind of underground structure. They know there's something magical down there because their machinery keeps malfunctioning near the entrance. But the guys over there can tell you more about that. The company would be glad to pay 200 gold pieces to the both of you for solving the problem. Interested?
     
  18. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Brilliant! What fun! Of course we're interested!
     
  19. Wolfsbane

    Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,478
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    The two of them are given a railway handcar with which they transport themselves to the current end of the tracks. The local foreman meets them, sees to that they're quartered, and shows them the crypt. There's only a staircase framed by rune-encrusted stones leading down into subterranean darkness visible from above. It appears as though no attempts have been made to explore the crypt thus far. Workers from all around the site have gathered, and are looking at the two magic consultants. Lynx frowns and gives Blake a look. They want us to go down there?

    So, he says to the foreman, this is the place? I understand you have not yet entered it?

    Right you are, sir, right as rain. We workers aren't much for mages and magic, sir, the foreman replies and spits over his right shoulder, Felt we needed a helping hand.

    But you will help us? Or are we supposed to go down there alone?

    The foreman suddenly looks suspicious, or scared. Well, he says and clears his throat, as I said, me and the lads here aren't much for magic...

    The rest of the workers are looking the other way, or down at their feet. Some of them are obviously uncomfortable with the situation; the knowledge of their duty to help is in clear conflict with their fear of the unknown.

    ---

    It's up to our heroes to decide on how to proceed. They could enter the tomb on their own, or try to Persuade the workers into assisting them, or do something completely unexpected. Which will it be?
     
  20. ytzk

    ytzk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Alive with curiosity and heedless of the dangers, Blake takes a lantern and enters the crypts, not even checking to see if Lynx is following.
     
Our Host!