Questions about Car Arcanum *Possible spilers*

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by FourHorsemen, Mar 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hi ...Can any of you who are familiar with the great Car Arcanum mod help me out with a few things:

1 - Shady Grove: Okay so I like get to the cemetary and end up in a tree-top village where the men and women are trying to whack each other. With great effort I managedto kill them all only to find a stone that said something avout Love being and eternal war. Is thatat really all there is....an ironic ending?

2 - Woman in Shrouded Hills: There's like a house to the NE of Shrouded Hills with a girl in it, can't recall her name though, but when I talk to her she says practically nothing. I get the feeling that she may be an NPC but I'm not sure. Are there pre-existing conditions to getting more out of her?

3- Dark House: Is there an actual objective to the place like an Item or treasure cos its pretty damm hard to get through but there doesn't seem to be much of a logic to the place.

4 - The PIgs: There's osme reference to PIgs not really being pigs in the game. Anyone know anything about this?

5 - Robin Hoods Lair: Is it really just a hack n Slash?

6 - A Dangerous Place: All I found there were a few rooms withing the foliage but not much else.;...not qeven an NPC. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can answer a couple of your questions.

1) Shady Grove - that's all there is to it. Kill everyone there, collect the armor and shields, and smile at the message. Oh, this is supposed to be revenge for the evil creatures killing all the inhabitants of Shady Grove.

2) Shrouded Hills woman - she's the local fence. I think her name is Brenda. She will say more after you join the Thieves Guild. Oh, don't forget to talk to the constable afterwards. ;)

3) You are dead on with that assumption. I think it was meant to test your patience and resistance to carpal tunnel.

4) I haven't found that yet. Let me know if you do.

5) It's really just Hack & Slash.

6) That's all I found too.

Hope this helps. :)

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Thanks for the Info rryo! I'll keep int touch!

BTW, I have a few more questions:

1) Any idea as to what Undead you get from the "Hemp Leaves"?

2) Is there a way to hurt those "moorindal blood" creatures and not get poisoned or lose fatigue?

3) Are there any other new followers apart from Althea, Spot, and Helena Sent?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Replying to your new questions.

1) I haven't tried the hemp leaves yet. I am wondering if they will work on Helena though. Maybe that'll shut her up. Orrrrr.... use it on an enemy and make him a follower!

2) As for those damned spiders - create automatons and have them charge the spiders while you have everyone else safely back. That's the only thing I've been able to find.

3) Those three are the only new followers I've ever seen.

Also - FYI The character editor for regular Arcanum will work for Car Arcanum - but only for the main character, the first dog you get (don't forget about the one in Ashbury - having two dogs in your party is cool), and Raven. For some reason it keeps saying that So-And-So is not in your saved file for everyone else.

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Cool!

I really enjoy this mod although playtintgit at the hardest possible seetings wasn't a smart idea on my part.

I 've found that some of the weapons added quite an interesting aspect to the game...in particular some of of the Spirit Guns....those were very very cool.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just thought of a cheat I'm going to try.

Since you can edit the dog - I'll get Spot, max him out into a trap-spotting dog, then have him with me when I go to Ashbury.

I'll then get the worthless mutt, take them both back to the Panari safehouse, have Spot wait, and run around with the mutt until he goes up one level.

At that point, I should be able to edit him as well, and if that does work, I'll simply return to the safehouse, pick up Spot, and have two
    wonder dogs in my party!

Whaddya think?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I tried out the hemp leaves last night.

1) They are found mostly in the field by the pigsty in Shrouded Hills.
    2) NEVER allow Althea to keep them! We were fighting a band of thieves and she used one to resurrect a half-orc, who would up being a bitch to kill.
    3) If you use them on enemies, they hate you fiercely, won't let you move anything into their inventory, and are hard to get rid of.

As for the Spirit Guns - I like the Divine Fire pistol better - exploding bullets!

This you can get from the Assassin's village way out back in the safe where the lone wolf is. Unless you cheat like crazy (invisible & teleport in solo) you will need a large party at a minimum of level thirty to get it.
    Note: Do not have Helena with you when you pick the locks. Have her wait at the main building.

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

HEY! Don't double post. Just edit a previous post. It's one of the few rules here.

9. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

you know if he didnt double post most people wouldnt have read it all

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

So? That's what saying what you mean the first time is for.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry - I was trying to edit the original.

12. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Yeah...that Assasins Village was pretty damm hard...but not nearly as annoyingly hard as the Rats near Vaselan...that took way too many explosives for my taste.

What's your opinions on some of the magical melee weapons they introduced into the game? Like the Vampiric Sword and such?

Honestly, I found that most of them were either too expensive or not really that useful for me.

One last thing...I'm finding it pretty hard to find Small Steam Engines to build arachnids and Automatons....any ideas where to find a stash of them?

13. mathboy

mathboy New Member

The rule against double-posting is to have people not post two posts right after each others to add something to the first that might as well be fit into the first post. In this case there was a big passage of time between the two posts so you are hereby officially forgiven (=anyone who argues will be banned...;)).

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To Mathboy: Thank you most sincerely.

To FourHorseman: As to the melee weapons - I'm not too excited about them myself, as I generally play a gunfighter and have yet to try most of them.
    However - when you first get to Tarant, the gang on the left - The Clan Maug - now has poisoned falchons that my NPCs seem to love! The don't have the damage levels that the big arcane swords do but they do poison the opponents during a battle.

And as for the steam engines - the inventor in Tarant has them but only on a 10 per cent basis. You can get a free one from Caladon, but only if you are in the Thieves Guild or simply cheat and remember where the shipwreck is. :roll:

Side note: I'm presently beta testing a re-packed DAT where I modified the inventory source. Among other things, the steam engines will be more available. I'll let you know if it works.

15. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

rroyo : wow thanks G!

Good luck with that mod...its really annoying when you wander around for ages looking for certain parts.

As far as poisoned weapons go...I kinda like Maid Marian s Sword cos its fast and does good poison damage..

The Character-specific weapons are ok....but my NPCS seem to lose them pretty fast.

How about the new throwing weapons...how do you think they compare?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK - to start with, my first attempt at the DAT was less than successful.
    The Shrouded Hills merchants got everything I wanted but you should have seen what it did to the Molocean Hand! (I know, I spelled it wrong.)
    You haven't lived until you've battled the Hand when they are just round shadows on the ground! :lol:
    The funny thing is, this hack worked almost perfectly sitting in the rules folder (it did trigger the Helena Sent/lockpicking quandry) but otherwise there was no problems.

As for the Maid Marion sword, yes indeed it is a good weapon! Even Althea will equip it if she's using anything less than a Warbringer. Again, though, I favor the gunfighter characters because you can keep your followers back from the poison fumes that so many enemies have.

The character-specific weapons always struck me as being a bit lame.
    Virgil's staff comes to mind, followed closely by Magnus' revolver.
    As soon as possible I tend to upgrade them and stash their weapons somewhere safe - the Panari hole for example. Although - I do have to wonder why Chris gave Raven; a forest-dwelling elf; a rifle instead of a high-powered bow. That always struck me as odd but does aid me with the gunfighter theme.

As for the throwing weapons - I get those away from my NPCs as soon as I possibly can! Invariably, one of them will hit me with it and my character goes Rambo on them. Also, upon occassion, I even ran into the same problem with bow-equipped NPC's. Weird. So no, I really haven't given them any real thought beyond how much money I can get for them.

17. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I usually save THrowing weapons for myself....the relative ease in obtaining the better throwing weapons (Azram's Star are the Aerial Decapitator) usually made me carry at least one on me at all times just in case (was never one to invest in Repair mastery).

I know what you mean about the bows.....although one time when I was playing Grab Them Girls Style Arcanum...I managed to nab M'in Gorad using the Permanancy Trick and she proved to be quite wicked with a bow.

(I wish the trick still worked for Car arcanum mind you).

Anyways...back to the mod:

- Have you ever managed to get anywhere in the Half_orc village (I usually avoid that playing the race). Is there anything worthwhile there?

- What are your thoughts on the Unnamed staff?

- Have you managed to get the Car yet? I have idea where to even start!

- Found any use fro the Rare Shrouded Hills Ruby?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One thing I should have mentioned - the Aerial Decapitator is useful for the Mechanized Slave. I've seen it take out a Hand member at quite a distance, although I really hate that sound effect!

The Half-Orc Village? The only way you can get anything useful there is if you're a half-orc. OH!!!! I had forgotten a new character - the doctor in that place will follow you if you are a half-orc! Otherwise she is just friendly towards you.

My thoughts about that staff? Good God Almighty!! What was Chris thinking when he set up the monsters in that place?! Half a dozen each ore-goloms and insectress hunters in a place that you can learn about while you are still below level 10? As for the staff itself, it's something else that just got sold. I have yet to leave well enough alone with Virgil to see what he would do with it. He always gets a sword and shield.

And the Car - oh yet! There are two ways for certain, possibly three. One is to buy a ship in Blackroot or you could do the Stringy Pete quest and get his ship. The third possibility would be to go to Ashbury and get Captain Teach his boat back - although I'm not too sure on that last one.

And finally, the famous Rare Shrouded Hills Ruby....
    This is wanted by the Thieves Guild in Shrouded Hills, and that seems to be its only use.

Here's a nice cheat for you, if your character is at level seven in explosives, the Spirited Stone Store sells three each of black powder and metal cans. Each pair creates 3 explosive grenades that are worth about a thousand gold each.

Have fun!

19. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Nowthat is what I call a financially viable cheat!

Not that money was ever an issue in Arcanum..well at least n Car Arcanum, at least they way I've been playing it, I actually do have somewhat of a hard time getting a monstrous amount of cash together..but I see that as a good thing that makes it more fun.

- Whats the Mechanized Slave? I haven't found that schematic yet.

- Given the increased difficulty you can put into the game...I thought the Tranquilizer gun would have been a good weapon to have around (as anesthitizers are tricky to come by). However the firing rate depresses me...at best with a lot of high stats and expertise I get 4 shots at half-decent accuracy.

- Have you found any significant spell modifications, at least as far as combat goes..cos some of the bonusses some critters get make it a pain the ass to cast spells on to any effect.

- Have you found many new weapons with electrical effects? I think I found a BOW at some point but I can't recall correctly. I do wish they had set up a sechmatic for the Charged Axe (I love that weapon).

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

(Big Smile) The Mechanized Slave is not a schematic - sorry. It is a semi-sentient mechanized arachnid that you can find once you can get into the Master's Portal. And Hallaluah!!!!! It can carry things! My only gripe with it is that it only has two speeds - slower than molasses and spontanious teleportation. (You are running through town and it sudden appears ahead of you.) Think mechanical mule.

I've pretty much given up on the fancier weapons - for the most part they are mostly show. As for the electrical-based weapons - Chris added a ton of electrical-immune creatures to the game which tends to cancel out most of the good weapons, like the charged accelarator gun. However - there is one electrical weapon you've got to try. The Silver Terminator. It's at the bottom of a rather lethal dungeon in Kree. It too is a charged accelarator but is powerful enough to pierce the regenerative shell around necromancers. The next time I go to the Void I'm going to try it out on Kergan. With my luck, I'll be trapped there. :/

Spell modifications? Can't say as I have. Of course, when I test the game I'm a maxed-out superman and when I play for fun I'm kind of an Indiana Jones adventurer. Arcanum Jones?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And yes - there is a schematic for a charged bow (if memory serves), I think you get it from the dwarven inventor. I have found the charged ax at the quality smith at Tarant, but only once in all the times I played.

P.S. Keep your eyes open at the herbalist shops - I seem to recall finding a schematic for anesthitizers at one in the regular game but ignored it.

Hope this helps - and you can figure out how to get into the portal. :lol:

Our Host!