punishment by banhammer

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jarislajfr, Apr 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

mathboy alrwady blocked Russia about 2 years ago, repeating it would show a lack of originality. Although thats never stopped me before.....

I shall confer and consider, a reply shall be forthcoming when I feel like it.

2. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

<-- this troll podling really needs to type less & faster
    DF, you miss the point of TOR / proxylist use and the resulting user ID spam. I've used TOR once to circumvent the global Wowio ban, which prevented access from any IP outside USA. so unless a ban on a vast majority of TOR nodes is inflicted, single IP bans are a moot point; and I strongly suggest a system of read-only punishments.

papa_dog, no, no for goodness' sake! I'm neither a кулхацкер nor a script kiddie - just average paranoid internet user who wants to access a forum. although the internet has evolved to favor the (average malevolent) rogue individual above the (in general benevolent) resource administrators, I'd prefer an amiable resolution on my quest without going into lurking with one more account.

edit: thanx, Vorak. please don't ban Russia - I've emigrated years ago, so the people would be hit without any fault on them.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Okay, um, soviet or whoever the hell you happen to be this week: Whinging about being banned will not save you. Asking about the ban is one thing, but now you're just being passive-aggressive and annoying. Quit mucking around or you might get half the planet banned and I don't need that shit right now.

Accept that you did something that got you in trouble (and frankly I would've banhammered you the instant you posted a link to warez, which just goes to prove how tolerant the boys are these days), settle into your new account, quit whinging and try to be decent internet neighbour.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

God no, I can't even pronounce that, if he's staying, then giving him back his old account would be the best way.

I am aware of this, I'm just saying a rather large range of 65536 IPs, were banned to keep him out. Now of course I know that won't do anyone any good. I was just stating the facts.

5. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I can see it now.
    World wide ban, except for a small community in the Northern cold.
    The thought is both amusing and sucky at the same time.

*** Warning *** lousy segue ahead ***
    Speaking of Vorak...
    Where'd Telcontar get off to?

6. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

oh for the love of it - "Jarislajfr" is a male first name of scandinavian origin, established around the 11th century. as diplomatic connections between the Kiev Rus, the state that would later become Russia, Ukraine and Belorus', and the western and northern kingdoms grew stronger, the names of prince Владимир Святой (Vladimir the Holy) and his son and successor Ярослав Мудрый (Yaroslav the Wise) were transformed to Valdemar and Jarislajfr in western languages, although only "Valdemar" survived e.g. in modern German.
    so man up on the Viking heritage or just adress me as Jari or 314 :)

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I thought that Soviet historians were pretty hostile towards the fact that norse settlers founded lots of shit in Ukraine and Russia?

8. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

Warning - long offtopic post on ancient-medieval history ahead!

well, the founding myth of the city Kiev and the subsequent development of the state tells about 4 siblings, the brothers Kij, Shchek and Horiv and their sister Libid' who lived on the banks of the river Dnepr, and their names are found in modern Kiev as city quarters, hills and rivers.
    while different versions of the myth call Kij either a simple ferryman or a noble / prince, the fact that he founded the city called Kiev in his name is common lore. the next prominent event is the decision of the city council of Novgorod Velikij to invite a Viking warlord Ryurik (spelling varies) to the city as commander / ruler / prince. Ryurik apparently knew of the trade route between Scandinavia and Visantia/Byzanz (usually referred as "Road from Varyags to the Greeks") and the city Kiev based on this route. so the legend says that Ryurik sent his trusted man Oleg the Seer to make the city pronounce his baby son Igor the prince of Kiev. the legends say that Oleg murdered the sibling princes Dir and Askold of Kiev of the Kij dynasty and ruled until his lord's son Igor matured. there is a mausoleum / memorial called "Grave of Askold" in Kiev today, honoring the myth.
    Oleg has greatly strengthened the slavian kingdom and fought off the hostile Pecheneg and Hazar tribes and states from the east. the legends tell that he sailed down the Dnepr, crossed the Black Sea, put the dragonboats on wheels to turn them into siege engines, pillaged Konstantinopolis (which will become Istanbul later) and nailed his tower-shield to the gates of the city. his prophetic abilities and the legend of his death are russian / slavian lore today (Oleg was prophecied to die by his battle steed, so he never rode it again. as years passed and the horse died, Oleg visited the remains and stepped on the skull. while he asked the gods on the truth of the prophecy, a venomous snake who lived in the skull bit him.)
    Igor Ryurikovich (son of Ryurik, this derivation of family names is common to slavian languages) maried Olga and sired Svyatoslav. he was killed by insurgents of the drevlyan tribe over a tax issue in a rather cruel fashion - two young springy firtrees were bend to the ground, the captive prince's hands bound to them and the trees let go, tearing him in halves.
    Igor's widow Olga, in spite of becoming the first christian noble later in her life, avenged her husband in a sparky and flashy way. she met the drevlyan tribe, feigned forgiveness and agreed with them upon an unusual tax - a single swallow-bird from a nest under every house's roof. as the birds were assembled, she commanded to tie a burning oilcloth to their tails and let the swallow-birds free. as the birds returned to their nests in the wooden houses under thatched roofs (drevlyan means wood- or forest-dweller), all the settlements of the drevlyan tribe burned down.
    while Olga's son Svyatoslav and grandson Vladimir shunned their northern heritage and Vladimir even changed the state religion to orthodox christianity, the next prince of the Ryurikovich line, Yaroslav, turned north and west again. he married his daughters off to western christian kings and worked diplomatically.
    the bloodline of Ryurik will provide slavian princes and russian tsars until the 17th century and will end with Ivan 4th the Terrible.

ancient-medieval history ends here!

well, it's hard to deny the influence of a 7 centuries old dynasty :) tho in most cases the vikings didn't found places but get invited / hired there and lead to glory. the idiomatic "пришлые варяги", literally meaning "Varyag foreigners", has survived into modern russian, and self-ironically desribes the fact that Russia most often grew famous by leaders from outside.

P.S. the russian fantasy/sci-fi writer Jurij Nikitin's novel cycle "Three from the Forest" describes a kick-ass Oleg the Seer with some fantasy background grafted to the lore :)

9. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, he has not been here for a while.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Telcontar is unavailable due to reasons concerning the basest level of human psychology.

There.

11. mathboy

mathboy New Member

What happened to the forum while I was away? This new guy makes wobbler seem like a genius. And everybody is an admin. And there might be a new female here.

Looks like it's time to start deleting accounts again.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    No.*

*Not "no" in the spammy sense, but "no" in the "I'll demote you before you can say cheese if your cursor so much as hovers above the delete user tickbox of any member. Banning, that's how you do it.

13. mathboy

mathboy New Member

When you delete the accounts, you avoid the problem of having them complain about wanting the old account back.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Before I encountered mathboy's way of perceiving reality, I thought only vampires could be Malkavians.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Now that you're back Mathboy, you can re-institute the old/assholish ways.

16. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I like to think that I'm no longer an asshole, so you don't need to worry!

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

MATHBOY!!! *tackle hug* Where the fuck have you been?

18. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

*grumbles something about too many fish malks on the forum*

I say you guys should ban Russia. It would only impact one or two members anyway.

19. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

He's allegedly been homeless.

20. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    All this time I thought he was tree food.
    Especially when he stopped sending me emails about threads I was following. :p
    Welcome back mathboy.
    Planning on staying a while or can you see a tree moving outside your window?

Our Host!