1. Please help us cover the costs of Terra-Arcanum's migration to Xenforo, Guest! More information is available here.
    Dismiss Notice

PROJECT: Bertland

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by RunAwayScientist, Feb 3, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist New Member

Description: A fully fledged multiplayer modification for Arcanum that centers around the city of Bertland, ruled by a monarchy. The game is set to generate random variables that alter story state every-time the game is started up, to allow for maximum modularity of player roles, and feature all the changes/features added in via ScriptPak....everything from dynamic relationships with NPCs, to a changing economy, to drivable vehicles etc. We're going to break the scripting engine.

LAST UPDATED: N/A
    CURR VERSION: N/A
    MEMBERS: RunAwayScientist, Vendigrothian.

(Percentage Completed Of Planned)
    Mapping: 10%
    Scripting/Coding: 5%
    Art: ---
    Planning/Story: 25%
    Testing Phase: --
    Diag/Text Writing: 8%
    Feature Research: 8%
    Scripted Backend: 1%

Estimated Release:
    ??/??/2050

(?)Might Require WIP 6.0: Art files are used for things like the Steam-Carriage. Could just pull the art and leave out the requirement for WIP. Needs further discussion amongst team members.

Requires Multiplayer: This mod will only work in an MP game. Any attempts to start it up in single player will result in a black screen.

Download Link: N/A
    Extract to (Arcanum\modules\)

Optional Files Description: N/A

Test Screenshots:

-- link down --
    -- link down --

Preview (vulgar vent dialog, not safe for work):
    - http://www.livestream.com/runsscicentre ... m=ui-thumb

Story-back:

The city of Bertland, having undergone a recent non-violent usurpation of the previous King Treb, a new one (could be player, if so chosen) has been instated in his place. Nestled between a mountainous region to the NW, open sea to the NE and SE, and open plains to the SW the isolated kingdom of Bertland is a fresh slate for the new ruler and its previous advisory council, with randomized starting conditions. In this recent chaotic governmental upheaval, what possibilities might lie ahead for the laws, industry, and politics? Will the player(s) have any role to play with the various factions that struggle for power, or perhaps simply take advantage of the situation?

What of these tales of men who can manipulate objects with a simple thought? What is to be done about the black soot that covers the business sector? Will the new King finally institute more liberal reforms, or crash the national budget?

Planned Features:

- Dynamic Economy: NPC/Player business have effects on each other, randomized variables introduce potential ruin or disaster.

- Dynamic Relationships: Player has a standardized set of options that can be used upon all NPCs, and is modified depending on *every* stat an NPC has....from base stats to skill type to their current faction or social status. Will apply to non-human characters, should something like that arise. Random personality traits.

- Everything that applies to NPCs applies to PCs: A standard to be used.

- Adult Themes: Will add in things appropriate to such. Should give characters a chance to play 'chaste'...or not. Debauchery was not unknown to the Victorian era....let alone other areas of time. Slavery was an issue circa 1850's....might have that in there too and have it play a pivotal role...might even incite a revolution...hmmm...yes.

- New Combat: Will rework combat to introduce random variables that modify things to make things more realistic and not very RPGish level dependent and more skill based. Locational damage system (getting shot in the brain would result in death, or retardation...allowing for combat to adversely effect the character in random ways, depending on various factors). Also looking at introducing different ammo types for weapons or arrows. Also looking at bleeding, modified for animal type.

- Death/Injury: Things that adversely affect the character, due to combat or perhaps otherwise. Dibilitating injuries sustained during combat could make you re-evaluate your use of force or help you alter the story progression of your character.

- Greater Interactivity: Elevators, machinery, bathhouses, restaurants.....there should be a standard of interactive objects...simply that there should be more of them, with more options, and more sounds to accompany them.

- Dynamic Buildings(?): Something I am researching into....using scenery objects to rand gen buildings. Rroyo has already partially accomplished this with his hafling village.

- Rideable/Driveable Vehicles: Steamcarriages are definately possible. Looking into the possibility of airships and things....move-able boats.

- Dynamic Cargo-holds/interiors(?): Researching atm. Using one map area, but allowing for multiple people to be in it and simply flipping visibility flags.

- Custom Waypointing: A must if vehicles are going to be involved. An adaptive script that creates a path for NPCs/vehicles to follow appropriately, by using in-game scenery objects to designate waypoint nodes. Think Half-Life info_nodes.

- NPC Needs/Wants/Desires: This adds movement to NPCs, modified based on their faction, social status, stats etc. They will use the waypoint system to go to areas and perform actions at those areas to satisfy some sort of need, want, or desire. The problem here is getting off-screen NPCs to do so, without overloading the PC CPU or something with background AI scripts. Will have to stress-test this.

- Random NPC Names/Portraits(?): Currently researching this possibility. Random names are certainly possible.

- Dynamic NPC Population: Population modified by factors, including a faction population. If the police are underfunded, there will be less policemen around. Perhaps they'll retire to join another faction of the populace.

- Expansive Dialog: Need a system to allow the user to quickly access the desired dialog choice, with a max of only 5 lines due to Arcanum engine limits. Could hex to allow for more than 5?

- New Inventory System (?): Depending on clothing worn, or things like backpacks or otherwise....could limit space available for inventory. Will require research/testing for feasibility, and then extension to NPCs.

- Crafting/Industry/Business: NPCs/PCs do work to create items. Will have to randomly generate numbers when NPCs not on-screen to save on CPU resources(?).

- Random Encounters/Dungeons (?): While venturing around...say in the mountain or in the forest, could use something like what was done in PlaneScape:Torment with the Cube-maze to rand gen Dungeons/Forests/etc. Then, rand gen animal encounters or NPC traveler encounters.

- Storyline/Established Characters/Businesses: Will have to coincide somehow with the random generator at start of game. Clearly, a combination of non-linear and linear aspects may serve to enhance overall experience. Will have to discuss with team-members.

- Ballroom Dances: A must for any well to do noble or King. Will have to choreograph random NPCs for a variety of maneuvers in an open space with a center point of reference.

- King Powers/Actions: Has the power to set laws, will have to have a dynamic modifier that changes the hapiness or mood of the advisory council and the people depending on what the King decides to do. Will also have to program an NPC king, for when there are no players who assume the position. The King can also hold social gatherings. Will have to extend that option to nobles as well.

- Slavery: To be one, or to take them. To abolish it as well through political manuevour, should you get the King's ear and his/her advisors.

- New Language: To facilitate the feel of a new land, a derivative of the English language will be used for dialog...mostly pulled from English synonyms. Might be a problem for non-native English speakers. Will have to work on translations or alternative options.

- Open-Source(?): Make files open source so anyone can edit them and re-submit their changes to help off-load the work required. Will discuss with team members.

- Random Personalities: Rand-gen NPC personalities/skills. Researching how to add tech/magic points/skills in random quantities.

- Guards that arrest: Arresting guards/justice/prison system etc.

- City Electricity: Electrical grids, which are tied to specific steam engines.

- Toggleable Lights

- Respawning System(?): Researching how to respawn containers and things, and have it use resources or require NPCs to re-make them (?).

- Dynamic Soundscapes: Background script that handles various area sounds, which can include randomly played sounds and multiple sounds in .mp3 format.

- Reaction to Combat: A script should detect all nearby NPCs and have them react appropriately to combat, based on...uhh....some factors. Maybe social class? Then do a random to see if they join in, simply watch, or run back to their residence and/or the nearest constable/guard.

Open Source Files (Read Only):

- http://pastebin.com/4Qd7zbBD

(If all of this fails to give Muro an erection, then I need to add in more features)

2. Magitek

Magitek New Member

Sounds like a pretty epic project you've set yourself up for.

Have you ever played The Guild 2?
    If you haven't you might want to check it out, it's very moddable(full lua implementation), supports saving in multiplayer and features pretty much everything you've mentioned here! (though not too much on the storyfront)

One of the reasons I got interested in Arcanum in the first place was the flexibility, or at least the illusion of flexibility that Troika created, The Guild 2 is very similar to this.
    Unfortunately, just like Arcanum it has its own serious issues in multiplayer. (2-3 years later jowood still hasn't bothered to fix synchronization issues, though there are work-arounds.)

Arcanums setting + tech/magicka, however, is so much richer than TG2. You should still take a quick look into exploring TG2; it would cut down a stellar amount of work with your idea. An arcanum mod for TG2 would be pretty mindblowing also.

Sorry for the de-railment, your idea just seemed so compatible with TG2.

3. RunAwayScientist

I already have TG2, and have played it many times over both singleplayer and multiplayer. I also have Back The Roots + Soverign Edition Mod or...something...I forget the name.

It's perhaps the only game I've ever seen that has a court system and politics, and is in 3D.

4. Magitek

Magitek New Member

Have you tried modding it before?
    Why choose the Arcanum engine over TG2 for your project?

5. RunAwayScientist

This mod is designed for Arcanum. I had no intention of modding TG2. I know nothing of TG2 or how to properly mod it. Besides, TG2 is shitty German coding, and doesn't have half the potential for me to make changes to it that Arcanum has.

I have tried modding TG2, mostly re-arranging the abilities you get at different political levels and dealing with multiplayer sync issues (trying to circumvent them).

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

I haven't read your post yet (too long), but I saw that preview video and I must say that it looks pretty awesome! It's pretty huge and detailed, a lot of fancy things and areas to explore, it brings me UO memories and I love it! Also I'm looking forward to play it one day.

Anyway, thanks in advance and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Edit: I just added your project to this list: http://arcanum.game-alive.com/forums/vi ... p=567#p567

7. RunAwayScientist

Sweet. Thanks for adding it in Crypton.

What's UO? Ultima Online?

8. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hi RAS,

are you still working on it? how it's going? do you have any newer version? could you please upload it? and how many gorillas does it take to change a light bulb? :thumbup:

9. RunAwayScientist

Hey Crypton

No, I'm not working on it. I got sidetracked after I started working on it a few months ago by IRL stuff unexpectedly.

What do gorillas have to do with anything?

I also gotta get those XML files done still. I'll see if I can get started on those sometime.

10. Wims

Wims New Member

Is the project dead or did you resume your work ? The preview sounds very good !

11. RunAwayScientist

Dead in the water. Working on other projects and getting side-tracked by other games, at the moment. Arcanum is taking a back-seat to everything else.

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

13. RunAwayScientist

Most recently: Space Station 13 builds, APB: Reloaded (for the past month), NS, Mount&Blade mods, Sims 2 modding, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident modding, screwing around in ARMA 2/making a police briefing mod, previewing various game engines (and their respective indie games) for possibility for use as a development platform, Empires mod for HL2, exploring Terraria, Minecraft modding, Shores of Hazeron, searching for the perfect freeform sci-fi game, playing Allegiance, exploring the Earth and Beyond emulator, FO3/Oblivion modding, JA2 1.13 tinkering/modding/multiplayer, re-formatting and re-installing due to spyware virus, and throwing around ideas for a gaming company with my colleagues.

This is a brief synopsis of where my free time was spent during the last few months or so. There is a general disinterest from my current colleagues in working on Arcanum as well, and I have no additional team members from this community to work with on a somewhat consistent basis.

14. Crypton

Crypton Member

Ah, really? that's a shame, because this module look very promising and I was looking forward to play it one day. :thumbup: Anyway, I'm still hoping that you'll finish it in near future :D

15. RunAwayScientist

Actually, I have to change that around temporarily. Milintica just PMed me and then later joined me on vent for a chat. He's agreed to start writing some generic NPC dialog for me, and I briefed him on the synopsis of the mod.

Banged out this as a result of our talk:

http://pastebin.com/1ZCc20aL

What an unexpected surprise.

16. Crypton

Crypton Member

Huh. How it's going, if I may ask? :/ Seems kinda abandoned to me... please tell me that I'm wrong. :thumbup:

17. RunAwayScientist

Nope, it got shelved. Vendigrothian was AFK for awhile and my attentions turned to other projects and games. Vendi just recently got back in contact with me with some excellent character content. Hopefully, we'll get started on work again sometime this month.

18. RunAwayScientist

Pending verification from Vendigrothian, I wish very much to include some of the work he did in an open source manner. It is stellar, I must say. Absolutely stellar.

http://pastebin.com/4Qd7zbBD

Our Host!