Pop or Soda?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quethim, Dec 2, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Yet, another opinions question. But this is about the way people call stuff.

I was in a conversation about English talking. Some people call the drink known as Soda, pop. Some have not even heard of the word pop, and consider people strange if they use that word. Now, I am one who used pop, it could be just Washington State who uses the word, but who knows.

The point of this thread is what do you people call it? And what do you all think about this weird way the English language is used. So much different ways to call something. So much words. It's like the two ways to call tomato and potato.

I wonder if there is anyone who calls it Soda-Pop

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

*has a dream about being moderator and sending all these opinion threads into the Vault*
    *also wonders what everybody's favourite light-saber colour is*

I don't call it stuff. I generally call it "things" or "assortment of oddities" but rarely "stuff".

Yes. I myself have been in many conversations where I have been talking English. True, there may be a difference between "English talking" and "talking English" but I'm sure it's only a small one.

What? You mean Soft-drink?

Pop's what happens to fat people when you prick them.

Could be. Could be. I've never really heard people call it "pop". Over here, we have people calling their grandfathers "pop". Soda, perhaps. But not "pop". You're just weird. Plain weird. Pure 'n simple.

Call what? It? I call it "it". If you're talking about soft-drink, I usually call it soft-drink or even "coke" or "lemonade".

Yes, it's absolutely fascinating. I spend many hours pondering the many different words in the English language.

A simple google search would've answered that question (Results 1 - 10 of about 99,900. Search took 0.14 seconds). I sometimes wonder why people ask questions they can google for. Maybe I should make a topic about it? As well as "what colour socks are you wearing?" and "why is the sky blue?".

3. Just A Geek

Just A Geek New Member

Soda is something you drink.

Pop is a really bad genre of music.

:D

4. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Darkunderlord, you really love to criticize me a lot, eh? My grammar and spelling is a lot better and you should be able to understand me. And you still criticize me. What are we going to do with you? Perhaps I should change this thread to be a "What to do with DU," thread. What does everyone think?

My spamming is slowly returning, shall I stop now? I can go back to not coming here again, that's if you don't like my spamming. But I got new spamming, spamming with grammar. =)

5. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

White

The sky is blue because IIRC the nitorgen in the air abosobes all the light except for the blue.

6. Just A Geek

Just A Geek New Member

Nope. Not the Nitrogen, but moisture in the air. When the light hits the minute water droplets, it bends in such a way that when it is all scattered, the blue light is the color which is left visible. Also, during sunrise and sunset, since the angle of the sun to where you are on the earth is different, the light is reflected differently, thus making the sky shades of red, purple, etc.

That's why the sky is blue. Can't believe I still remember that from my high school science classes.

7. Windmills

Windmills New Member

Right, Just a Geek. Beat me to it! ;-)

The scattering process that makes this possible is called "Mie Scattering", By the way.

The reason why the blue light is the only light left is because blue light has a higher frequency and shorter wavelength, so it scatters more effectively. Now, violet has an even shorter wavelength than blue, but our eyes are more sensitive to blue, so that is what we see.

8. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

So if there were chemicals other than moisture in the air, would it be possible to have a green or say, even a bright fluro pink sky? If all the colour is is a reflection of light off of the atmosphere, surely a different atmosphere would change the colours?

9. Windmills

Windmills New Member

Yes indeed. If you had substances that bend the light in different ways than the normal atmosphere of earth does, you would see whatever colors those substances best scatter light at.

Case in point: the solar winds that eminate from the sun give off charged ions that when coming in contact with the earth's upper atmosphere, scatter light into a rainbow of colors known as - the Aurora Borealis! ;-)

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Mmmm...radiation would make the sky glow a healthy green, because radiation glows green!

Anyway, Quethim, I think you're the one who's got it wrong...it's not soda, it's not pop, it's SOFT DRINK. Case closed.

11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Just to clear some things up.

The drink type itself - the carbonated, non-alcoholic drink - is known as Soft-Drink.

Soda, is a particular type of soft-drink which is comprised of carbonated water, or soda water. This is because some twat thought that the carbonic acid in the carbonated drink was infact soda when he named it. It isn't. It would kill you if it was.

Pop is a slang term for any soft-drink, whether it is soda or not.

And Windmills, you were close. It's because blue light has a shorter wavelength that it is refracted LESS, and and thus passes almost directly through the atmosphere, whilst the red light is refracted around the Earth, through the atmosphere. This is also why you get a red sheen above the horizon, but this can only be seen if you're high up in an aircraft, or in a totaly unpolluted area of the world (fat chance).

During sunset and sunrise, the angle of incidence is greatly increased, so the light is refracted through the same angle, but the blue light travels OUT of the atmosphere, whilst the red is still refracted around the Earth, and thus is what you see when you look at the horizon during sunset and sunrise.

Also, the majority of the red and orange of the sunrise and sunset is actually a result of pullution. If we had no pollution on the planet, then even the most vibrant of sunsets and sunrises would be a pale orange colour.

If the current rate of pullution continues, we will experience a completely orange sky in about 250 years.

And it's not just water that contributes to the refraction of light in the atmosphere, but it is the major component. If the atmosphere had a different comparative concentration of it's component gases, then we would indeed experience a different colour sky, as the overall refractive index of the air would be different.

Hope that clarified some things. :D

12. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

About the color of the sunset, I too, had always heard that because of pollution, the sunset was a dark orange or red.

Q, about the drinks, us Southerners call them "Cokes." No matter if it is Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, 7-Up, Sprite, Mello-Yello, Mr. Pibb, Dr. Pepper, so on and so on.... Down here, if it is a carbonated drink, it's a "Coke". As far as people calling it "pop", the only ones I have heard call it that are very localized. Usually the middle-eastern part of the U.S. Virginians, Tennesseeans, Kentuckians, W. Virginians, Marylanders, and the like.

Ferret, you....you so smaht. Me rike you you smaht.

13. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

:eek: Retard! You made a grammatical mistake! You said, "...us southerners..." instead of "...we southerners..."! I'm very ashamed of you. *

Anyhow, I'm from Maryland (one of the more pathetic states... no wait... there's all those other ones like... Kansas... nevermind.) and I said "Soda." Not pop. And coke is my favorite soda.

*I'm really not.

14. Just A Geek

Just A Geek New Member

Don't know what part of Virigina you've been to, but I've never heard it called pop around where I've lived. :razz:

15. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Pop is used in the good old pacific. I live in Washington, and I'm in high school. I've never heard soda called a soft drink, it's usually called soda or pop in the area where I live. Maybe cause I'm in high school? Anyway, pop is a widely used term over here. I used to say soda a lot, but so much people called it pop; I started to call it that. Go figure, eh? =/

16. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

I used to call it pop all the time... but ever since i found it people were calling a really shitty type of music the same name, I just started using soda. Sure its another sylloble, but its worth it.

17. Just A Geek

Just A Geek New Member

At least someone agrees with me on the music bit. :)

18. carlstar

carlstar New Member

come now. i live in the pacific and we don't say pop. It's called fizzy or fizzy drink. You don't get some big Somoan guy going to the dairy (corner store, superette, drug store and whatever else they are called) to buy pop.

This is very silly though.

19. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

Soda is what everyone at our school calls it, but usually we give it a brand name over something generic like Soda

20. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

My cousins in Baltimore call it "pop", my friend from Texas claims everyone there calls all soda of any kind "coke", and everyone else I know calls it "soda".

Our Host!