Pool of Radiance WARNING!!! Can wipe out OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rachel12, Sep 29, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rachel12

rachel12 New Member

A warning message has been issued by The Adrenaline Vault concerning PoR. Seems during the Install process it can lock-up and after reboot, will uninstall the program. However during the Vault's review of the program it also uninstalled the win98 OS. They also report that a number of users have also encountered this bug. The post can be found at: http://avault.com/news/displaynews.asp? ... 2001-15539

2. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

As I already mention I have the copy of the game. Out of the curiosity I went to the official forum for PoR and I find out that this game has a lot of problems. Hoping for the best I installed it and yes I never saw so many bugs in one game. During five minutes tutorial I experienced over 6 crashes, SIX!! For the love of God it is impossible to play it. Although there are some people who are saying that they don't have any problems, unfortunately I'm not one of them.

3. RightTurnClyde

RightTurnClyde New Member

Only paraphrasing...

"Fat, greedy fingers are sucking your soul away". I have taken as much out of this genre of entertainment as I have given into it. It's simply not what it used to be. That's not really my point here, though.

Let's leave off this fake reality and enjoy real life for what it is: painful, regretful, sorrowfull, pleasurable and rewarding.

As Chuck Shuldiner has said: "the answer cannot be found in the writings of others, or the words of a trained mind". And the answer cannot be found here. I don't know how this relates, but now, I would much rather see any one of you in person, face to face, than pretend to talk to you here.

I seem to have been on the receiving end of a revalation of sorts, and as such have found a new apprectiation for, and outlook on, life.

Jinxed, Dragoon, I really don't know any actual Polish people, but your posts have done much to endear me to you and your countrymen, for whatever that's worth.

You may say I am a loon, or a freak, that's cool. This don't have nothing to do with any kinda religion, only (like I said) a personal revalation.

Rojo, don't stress. I never truly intended to hurt anyone, and I'm not gonna bomb anyone (and that's not a veiled threat,I really have no intention of hurting anyone at all). By the way, Rojo, I like you too.

No longer posting anything, no longer playing anything, just scraping the film off the third eye,

RightTurnClyde

4. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

"All hail Eris, All hail Discordia!".

AAaaaccckkkk!!! Bought POR yesterday, got home, tore it open, and read through the manual, the ink was so fresh that it was coming off on my hands, so the manual is now in used condition as well, I can't return opened software. Now, before playing, I read this! Help!!
    Is it realy that bad? Is there any hope, or am I out $50? Should I dare to bother installing it?!

5. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

PoR

Ladies and Gentlemen, Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor have broke the record for being the game with the worst 'first impression' in the world. I hope the game itself will be good, but people are saying it crashes so much. Next to PoR Arcanum is flawless in terms of bugs and technical issues. The upside is Arcanum has more chance to be rewarded 'RPG of the Year' now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NecroLich on 2001-09-29 14:20 ]</font>

6. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

I have PoR2.

I installed PoR2 without a hitch on two computers.

I've been playing PoR2 and it runs flawlessly. I haven't had it crash yet. About the only "bug" I've seen so far is that my clerics can't wield non-magical Warhammers.

7. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Saint what are your specs for the PC. I mean how recent upgrades you have on your video and sound cards?
    I was running some program and it canceled somehow all my upgrades (I'm running now only on backup files), so for the next couple of days I have to download lots of staff, I'm even thinking to format my hard drive.

As to how is the game? Unfortunately after starting the tutorial or the new game, every button I press (map, inventory and most of the time right mouse click) game completely shuts down. I'm really hoping that some upgrades make some difference or patch will came soon and solves most of the problems.

8. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Signed up with the POR forum at http://www.poolofradiance.com/forum
    The site is a complete mess with everyone arguing about everything from lost operating systems to bugs to poor game design.
    Personaly I think the poor game design comments are just from folks who are too serious about their D&D, I read the manual and it all looks fine and dandy to me, however I have yet to install it out of fear of erasing my OS.
    Majority of the posts are regarding crashing and choppy video, then comes the hardcore P&P players that are upset that you can't select feats and skills, finaly there are a few poor souls who lost their OS's in the conflict.

9. Emrys

Emrys New Member

Everyone should really have learned the lesson by now

I mean really. I NEVER buy a game the day it comes out. NEVER. I usually wait atleast a few weeks, preferably more than a month, to read forums and get a game review out of gamespot AND wait for the game patch that should have been included prior to shipping.

Yep it is pure greed. There is no other explanation. But it is expected now i think and no one should be suckered into buying a new release because thats what you are if u do a sucker slash guinea pig. I wouldnt fret to much they will have a patch u just have to wait.

10. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Personally I couldn't care less about graphics and sound, I can even live with the slow downs, hell I could probably tolerate small bugs like inability to equip clerics with the hammers, but I can not stand crashes or freezes.

I also went through that forum, well as usually with any game the opinions are divided, still I'm finding that too many people have the same problems as mine. So the question appears "How come the QA didn't catch so obvious mistakes?"

11. Saint_Proverbius

I have a custom built rig..

1GHz Thunderbird
    256MB PC133 SDRAM
    Radeon 64MB DDR
    DFI VIA KT133 Motherboard
    Generic sound card (I trust the no name brands more than the SoundBlaster cards)
    DVD-ROM x12
    CD-RW 8x4x32x
    40GB 7200RPM ATA100 harddrive

I have stacks of fans to cool it also. :smile:

The game runs just fine on my rig. Flawlessly. Hell, so far, PoR2 has less bugs than Arcanum.

Oh, and that warhammer thing I mentioned. I was trying to wield a Great Warhammer, which humans can't use unless they're fighters. So, it's not a bug.

12. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

PoR2

Saint_Proverbius, can you write us a little first impression (or full review) of how good or bad PoR2 is? You can write it here in the forum, or as an article in Terra-Arcanum. I would like to hear comments from Arcanum players more than professional reviewers, for example Gamespot reviewer Greg something gave Arcanum a score too low for me to trust him again. I always read all the reviews no matter how much I'm hyped for the game.

13. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

Just realized sthg.

Hey, I just saw you (as in Saint_P) in the PoR forums. Keep posting, I need comments.

14. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Yeah, an honest review from someone who got it working and can compair it to Arcanum would be excellent! I'm very excited to hear about or see the game, however it's day three and I still dare not install it.

15. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I had a revelation once about yogurt. Apparently it's just bad cheese.

16. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

*sigh* POR forced itself to my C drive which I don't have enough room on, I gave up and returned it to my local EB only to find that I couldn't get cash back as I had original traded in games towards POR. So I had to return it for a different title and unfortunately there is just absolutely nothing I wanted-I have Arcanum and everything else was 'blah'.
    I ended up coming home with Kessen II for the PS2. I think Im going to go crawl away somewhere and cry. =(

17. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Saint Proverbius is so popular. :smile:

18. Saint_Proverbius

I think PoR2 is the best damned dungeon crawler I've played in a good long time.

If you expect to run around a town and talk to people, I'm not sure that's in there. However, the combat and the dungeons are very nice. They really capture a PnP feel.

I think the combat is the best part of the game, really. It's extremely tactical in nature, with character options out the wahzoo.

Turn Undead works REALLY well in this game if you have a high charisma cleric, which I have. It makes me feel almost sorry for the zombies, ghouls, and skeletons I encounter.. ALMOST!

The Paladin's Smite Evil is also great. I can take a huge chunk out of an Orc with that attack.

19. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

but...

But you have a super gaming rig. How fun can a game be if I've lost my OS? But it doesn't mean I'm not interested, just waiting for a patch. Glad to hear it's fun, but I actually like running around a town talking to people.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NecroLich on 2001-10-01 13:35 ]</font>

20. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I would like to install the newer one, XP I think, but I don't know if we have it here.

Our Host!