Piece of Shit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blinky969, Apr 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

My laptop sucks, if I had a digital camera, I'd show you what exactly it looks like right now. I'm astonished it's still working, but, that's not the point. I don't really trust my hard drive atm, luckily I got the chance to back it all up, but I wanted to write tonight, and I don't know if it'll be there in the morning.

So, I'm stealing more HoL webspace. You guys will like this story I think, it's a little tale of Boy meets Girl:

(to be added, i.e., made this post before I started so that I could flow better.)

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    How old is your laptop?

The one I'm using right now is a real survivor. Yeah, I know, it's a Dell, but it's kept right on going since I first laid my filthy hands on it in 2001. The plastic at the edge of the keyboard has a big crack in it, the screen flickers in green if the computer's on for too long and the "u" key is impossible to get back in place, but besides that it still works like a charm.

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

My last comp died when I tried to upgrade its RAM, and that was two years ago. I have a compaq now, and I'm just waiting for its inevitable mechanical failure, intrinsic to all compaqs.

5. DarkFool

How on earth did you kill a computer when upgrading the RAM?

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Perhaps he wasn't properly grounded and static shocked the motherboard, turning his computer into a very expensive doorstop in the process?

7. Grossenschwamm

That is exactly what happened!

It's more common than you'd think. It happened to me because I was excited.
    "Oh man...I'm gonna fly with this extra gigabyte!"

So I remove the old ram and check to see if the computer will turn on (it does), then turn it off and put in the new stuff...and it shits the bed.

8. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Please tell me you didn't try to use a Dirt Devil to suck all the dust out of it while you had it open.

Next time use duct tape to seal up the vents in the back. That'll solve your dust problem alright.

9. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

That way, instead of a dusty, functional computer, you'll have a dust-free, broken overheated computer!

10. Grossenschwamm

Oh, you read me like a book. I love sticking ungrounded electronic devices into other ungrounded electronic devices, but only when I've run out of duct tape. God knows I put it on every visible air vent on my gadgets.

11. DarkFool

Or, you could do the proper thing and set it on top of a desk or some such like mine is. I've run my computer for two or three years in it's current position, and it's still practically dust-free. When I get a chance (probably in the next 5 or so) I'll take a picture of my current desktop set up. :)

12. Grossenschwamm

That doesn't matter, where I live. There's so much pet hair and dander...I just keep cans of air handy so I can blast the vents clean.

Our Host!