Patched weapon protos

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by TrustNo1, Dec 10, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TrustNo1

TrustNo1 New Member

Hi I had a concrete question about proto editing. I wanted to mess around with the stats on some of the guns, and to that end I searched and learned about hex editing. But when I looked for the proto of the hushed revolver it was missing. Thing is I am using Drogs unofficial patch and that fixes some stuff on the revolver, so I had to learn to undat "arcanum5.dat" I think it was, to dig up the proto. So my question is:

To make working changes on the hushed revolver (and Schrecks multibarreled pistol), is it enough to just edit the proto from the dat and copy it onto the data/proto folder, or do I have to edit it where it is and learn to redat the whole Arcanum5.dat back in the Arcanum directory? How do I make this work without breaking patch fixes?

chuftka likes this.
  2. TrustNo1

TrustNo1 New Member

Thank you for answering. The issue is that the unofficial patch have modified a couple of the weapon protos, so they are gone from the Arcanum/data/proto folder. I had to find them from one of the patch files, "Arcanum6.dat" I'm thinking that the old ones are removed from the proto folder to get the new modified ones in the .dat to replace them. Question is if the game will use the proto file in the arcanum/data folder if I put it back in, or if it will still use the one in the dat.

This is not for an independent module, just the original game.

chuftka likes this.
  3. TrustNo1

TrustNo1 New Member

It seemed to work, if anyone is wondering. I just hope the Fine Revolver stats on the hushed revolver won't make it horribly overpowered or something.

chuftka likes this.
  4. TrustNo1

TrustNo1 New Member

More like I reintroduced it. Patch removed it and put it in "Arcanum5.dat". I modified the patched proto and put it in data/proto. New values was used when I made the gun in the game. Fixed sound effect from the patch worked too.

chuftka likes this.
  5. chuftka

chuftka New Member

This thread was very useful to me. I am doing the same thing, modifying protos and using them with the unofficial patch. Thanks people!

Our Host!