One Hundred Thousand Years Ago Or So...

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Jan 11, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Now, Gog had been warned about hitting the head, and Korduk had repeatedly forgotten that he had to stay in the circle. The idea of rules of combat had seemed like an oxymoron to most of the braves.

So, to be fair, Pyot was merely fighting to win and, as far as he knew, he hadn't broken any rules. Not to mention the fact that he was miniscule when compared to the others. He was using every advantage he could.

But he was bruised and battered and, despite being hyped up on magic mushrooms, he was unwilling to take any more. He strode to the circle and bowed theatrically to Animagus.

"You're a tough nut, dogman, that's for sure. I've never seen anyone stand up to my striking scorpion maneuver before. You're a great warrior. No hard feelings, then, big fella, let's be friends instead."

Animagus wins!

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

You're a tough nut, dogman, that's for sure. I've never seen anyone stand up to my striking scorpion maneuver before. You're a great warrior. No hard feelings, then, big fella, let's be friends instead.

Otro had been concerned, but apparently for little reason. He lived his life by a set of moral rules as dictated by his people, and he neglected to consider that other people from different tribes would have their own rules. And, while still having the perspective of a hunter, he lacked the perspective of a warrior for many years - so in his attempts to make the fights more fair, and in effect, safer, he lost the mind set of the people actually participating.

Night fell, a fire was made. A celebratory feast was held, and Otro painted a pyramid with the winners of each round shown bottom to top. Animagus was shown at the top with the Thunderbolt raised above him.

Animagus sat on his favorite spot by the fire, between Fang and Scar. Otro brought out the Thunderbolt wrapped in a piece of cured horse hide, as the hunting party had recently downed a large stallion. Some of the party wanted to try befriending it and even riding it - but Rifa and Animagus knew how tasty horse was, and ended up convincing the rest of the group to take it down. Besides,

Guys, sabretooth cats don't try riding the horses they want to eat.

Otro stood next to Animagus, and said,

Stand, Animagus. You have bested the warriors of our tribe and shown yourself capable of wielding the Thunderbolt. It will amplify your heart, make you stronger in your convictions and desires. Listen to this blade, and it will tell you who you are.

3. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

[OOC] I was not that content with the previous post, so I deleted it. Sorry about this. [/OOC]

Animagus stood up and listen to the speech that was given by the wise man Otro. It was honest and wise. Just as he finished his speech, they all began to cheer for Animagus.

Now that the speech was done, the Giving Ceremony began. Knowning that it was getting serious, the cheering died down very quickly. While Otro began to sing, the Thunderbolt sword was given to the worthy winner. Animagus. With care and respect he took it and spoke to Otro.

"Your words are wise and true. For I shall follow your wise advice as my guidence and take it as gospel* "

Then he turned around to adress everyone of each tribe.

Let it be known that at this day everyone shall live into the light. For I shall guide you all into prosper. So shall it be.

*Are these the corect words?

4. Grossenschwamm

[OOC]Eh...I think gospel is a bit strong. But I'm pretty sure I can roll with it, so long as it doesn't get up its own ass religious.[/OOC]

The cave was filled with cheer, and an impromptu tribal concert was held to celebrate the occasion. Bone flutes were played and coconut shells were struck together for percussion. The tribe began to sing,

It fell from the sky,
    And is now in his hands -
    The Thunderbolt Blade,
    Guides our tribe through the land.

We now sing for the present
    The future, and past
    We were many people -
    But now one that will last.

Otro, despite the occasion, was aware that there would indeed be challenges for the amalgamated people in this tribe. The superstitious southerners that held the festival would surely seek the Thunderbolt, and everyone was in such a hurry to leave the valley that no one minded to cover their tracks.

Otro spoke to Rifa in his people's language -

Rifa, there's a storm coming. You're very proficient with a blade in each hand. Two smaller blades are as deadly as one larger one, especially when the person wielding them is a Juho (ambidextrous person) like you. I have plenty of Thunderbolt Iron left to make you a set of blades, because we need our most skilled warriors carrying these weapons.

Rifa beamed.

That's awesome! What will they be called?

I'll decide after I've made them.

It took about a week to get enough coals from fires so there'd be enough fuel to use in the forge in combination with what was left over. The winds were more powerful this time of year, and the days were darker sooner. This meant the meteorite alloy would heat up faster and the working temperature could be more easily guessed by color - this all made the process that much faster, though care had to be taken so the Thunderbolt didn't start to melt.

Two months after Otro had gathered the coal, Litha and Rotra (left and right, respectively) were completed. Two blades, 16 inches long in total, with 6 inch handles (wrapped in hide, of course) and 10 inch curved blades. While the Thunderbolt had weight behind it to increase cutting power, Litha and Rotra cut by increased surface area on the edge.

Rifa, I would like you to meet your left and right hands - Litha and Rotra, tools befitting the one called Liroi-Jankinz. As the Thunderbolt guides Animagus, you too will be guided. Fight for our tribe, help our Chieftain.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Now everyone could feel that the days were lengthening, and the sun was returning. Among most of the peoples, there was always the concern that it would keep going forever, and there was a variety of ceremonies which tried to convince it to come back every midwinter.

Lendorn and Otro had confirmed the maths: Yes, the sun was returning. And everyone was most relieved.

6. Arthgon

Now that the sun has returned, everyone knew that things are going to be much better than the past few months. Full of joy they walked out of the cave, and felt that the sunrays were warm and welcoming on their skin.

The return of the light was welcoming for Animagus and his companions, but still he was somehow very concerned. He spoke to Otro, when he showed him what he has seen.

“Look. More men. “ as they watch another armed group walking towards the northeast of here. “It looks like that more people are going to search for that parts of the meteor.” No. I do not think that any good will come when they all searching for the same thing.

7. Grossenschwamm

We don't have much time before they track us back to this cave. I have enough of the Thunderbolt Iron left to make guards for Haethor's tusks, and what Pyot ended up calling a "grappling-hook" after he described its purpose to me...

Otro looked intrigued by the idea, and said,

...His people are proficient with such things when they're attached to a rope or vine, but they would normally make them from jaw bones. I would enjoy not fighting with these men...

Otro's expression became grim,

...but should things become violent, we can "give" them the Thunderbolt. Our survival depends on this gift - I do not trust these men will allow us our lives should we give it freely.

Furrowing his brow in determination,

We must keep quiet about the Thunderbolt tools, unless these men threaten our people. I've gathered plenty of coal to start - I suppose I'll take more from fires as I work to speed things up.

The tribe had been able to hunt what they called "Naked Gods" in this valley. Otro had gathered tusks from these shameless and intelligent creatures to make totems and tools upon Haethor's inspection. Otro ended up breaking off large pieces of some of these tusks and shaping them to match the dimensions of Haethor's, so he could fit the Thunderbolt while it was still hot and malleable. Not much of the thunderbolt was needed, just enough to essentially make a sheathe (about 1/8th inch thick) for the last 5 inches of each of the young earth god's tusks - so work on these tusk based upgrades only took about two weeks. Haethor seemed to know the tools were for him as they were being forged, and decided to help bring coals from the fire in an animal hide. Upon completion, his pupils dilated and he nearly seemed to smile as he inspected each sheathe with his trunk. The Thunderbolt-Tusks didn't just have a practical purpose; they looked very nice on the adolescent mammoth. Otro wanted to call them "God Pikes," but Haethor always seemed to respond more when something was called -

Banana.

Haethor let out a low trumpet blast, and from the context, Otro knew what the young god meant.

Pyot's grappling hook ended up needing about three quarters as much material as Haethor's tusk-pikes, but took nearly a week longer due to being so labor intensive. There was a hole needed in the base for a rope to tie to (made by tediously bending the hook around a small horse rib {crushing 4 in the process}), twisting the long piece of thunderbolt around itself by pressing the two ends under a flat piece of stone (with Haethor's bulk and a rib in the previously made hole for torsion), and then trying to figure out how to make the hook into a "hook" - luckily, Senku spotted a large, conveniently shaped black stone sticking out of the sand on the beach when he was spearing fish. This stone would eventually be called "basalt," and has a similar hardness to granite, but breaks more easily due to being porous and brittle - this one had been fired into the atmosphere by an active volcano several miles away, and its shape had been determined by the most aerodynamic shape for magma to take as it fell back to earth while cooling. The black stone was placed on top of the granite slab, and the hook was quickly bent with this paleolithic "jig," though the final blow that cemented the curve broke a large chunk from the basalt, ruining it for similar projects in the future. A sharpened barb was on the end of each hook, and what was created looked quite similar to a fishing hook made to catch sharks, but with a much less pronounced curve.

Otro handed Pyot his new grappling hook, and Pyot had gathered sinew and hide together to make his own rope.

Pyot, your extensive use of tools in combat humbles us, and I am proud to give you this Monkey Paw. Take it with pride, as the soul of the Thunderbolt has now been given to the four mightiest members of our tribe. Let this tool hone your spirit, large man with a small frame.

This...thank you, Otro. I'll use it well, and...can I fish with it?

Perhaps...but we're going to need a bigger boat.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

END OF CHAPTER TWO. ((nicely done!))

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Now the Lost Boys of the empire were not lost, except that they were looking for the way home, and they were not boys either, having been thrown out of the empire at puberty, except that they were desperate to prove themselves as real men.

They were, to a man, raised in the heart of the empire, princes of paradise, and then outcast overnight into the wilderness where they were absorbed into an ecology of savages which makes modern street gangs look like kindergarden for baby girls. In short, they were merciless, relentless and, above all, cunning warriors.

When the witchdoctor had returned to the Third Plateau with news of the holy sign, the council of matriarchs had wasted no time in sending out the word: many wives for the boy who returns from the valley with the thunderbolt, and one wife for each boy who returns with one thousand noses from the foreign-devils who infest the outer lands.

Homo sapiens sapiens had declared open season on neanderthal.

So, in the autumn, (which was spring down there but nevermind that) the lost boys had surrounded, burned, ambushed, raped and murdered a few dozen tribes of fisherfolk. This was step one in the mob mind's unspoken plan, to gain the mighty twenty-man canoes which would take an entire family group several years to complete.

Step two, also unspoken, was to paddle like demons to the northern bay and there, descend upon the infidels like the dragon hordes of heaven.

So, as the midwinter passed in the north, bands of twenty and forty and sixty veteran warriors at a time were trickling through the valley with murderous intent. Many passed by the cliffs without seeing the concealed cave entrance, and many more passed by out of sight, fanning through eurasia, slaughtering families and collecting noses.

From a distant scout's point of view, the snaking chains of hunters and their trails of flame and ash were indeed like avenging dragons.

10. Arthgon

As the ruthless and murdering warriors moved along the cliffs with murderous intent, everyone in cave held their breaths.

They moved over the next cliffs and out of sight. We are safe at the time being. Thanks to the one who concealed this cave with high skill.

11. Grossenschwamm

Rifa shadowed one of the raiding parties along with Pyot. The braves had developed a system of complex communication using clicks and whistles reminiscent of animals moving through the forest in this area, allowing the two paleolithic spies to speak without alerting their subjects;

Did you see the remains of the last tribe they destroyed?

We were both there...but I've never seen such utter disregard for life.

This is a new breed - these people are different from Otro, Animagus and me - you as well, Mud Monkey.

They've desecrated everything...is nothing sacred to these beasts?

Well, my people always say a rival tribe's god will keep coming back until you desecrate their shrine completely...so that makes sense to me.

Rifa stumbled and caught herself, but not before she had snapped a branch in her discombobulation.

The lost boys were on the alert. One of the lower ranked men spoke aloud;

What was that?!

Rifa and Pyot held still, both covered in mud and leaves to help disguise them against the forest background.

Go and check it out. It was probably nothing, but we can't be caught off guard.

The one who spoke first tentatively walked toward Rifa's position. There were only five of them in this semi-party (branched off from the larger group, presumably to gather up later). The two braves waited for the wildlife to perk up again, and spoke;

Should I, Mud Monkey...?

Hey, they started it. But if we strike at these men, their friends will look for them.

...Ah, you're right. We need to get back to the tribe and tell them what we've seen. Ok, let's move!

Pyot had learned the growl of the mighty, yet not as mighty as the saber tooth cat, scimitar tooth cat. The Lost Boys dropped to the ground, allowing Rifa and Pyot to escape at their leisure.

Getting back into the cave, the two braves noticed Animagus speaking to the tribe;

...Thanks to the one who concealed this cave with high skill.

We trailed a raiding party!

Rifa and I went out to hunt for anything dumb enough to stick around while these maniacs are out and about, ended up watching them from the forest as they were leaving a destroyed settlement.

Then it is almost time. They will find this cave, and our tribe...how many in a party?

There were five in the group we trailed...

...But they like travelling in groups of at least 20.

One of those parties was about the same size as the entire tribe.

*!*...We cannot fight on their terms. When they confront us, we must take them by surprise. We should begin working on a counter-attack as soon as possible.

12. Arthgon

Corncered about what he has heard, Animagus asked.

What do we know about them? Are they well organized? Weapons and defences? Well verses in survival and tracking?

Knowing that his people will be in danger against these barbaric heathens, they need to come with a plan that MUST work. Fast. Real fast. Or everything will be lost.

Animagus and Otro took council about the dire situation.

I have a couple of ideas, but I want to know what you think of them, Otro.

Animagus felt silent and then spoke again.

What about this. They are going to follow the old trail right? If my memory is correct, those heathens will come across the hills with one long road. What if we let them in there. Then dropping two boulders to block the both ways so they are trapped. Only does our spears work in this?

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Now Keelsol knew of the lost boys, having lived to the northeast of their homelands in what we today call Somalia. Therefore he had much to say about them around the campfire that night.

"They are very bad people, these people. They are skilled trackers, though *sniff* not quite as good as me, and deadly with the stone-tipped spear and launching-stick.

"They are not so strong as you, dog-man, but they can run fast all day and all night. Not as far or as fast as me of course, but nearly. Worst of all, they are cunning. Their true gift is to anticipate their prey's actions and they're uncannily canny about it.

Among my people, they say a single band destroyed an entire tribe by feint and misdirection and ambush. They are a very bad people, but very good at it."

14. Grossenschwamm

Otro let Animagus and Keelsol finish their thoughts before he spoke;

From what Keelsol says of these cunning devils, your plan could serve us well, Animagus. If they're clever, we must be more so, and find a way to get them fighting on our terms. Rifa, Pyot, did either of you notice anything in the tribal settlement those warriors left?

Rifa paled slightly, and regained her composure;

...No noses, Otro. Everyone's nose was cut off.

The women were more messed up than I'd like to see, too.

Pyot's face had a disturbed expression while he relayed that information, and Rifa became indignant.

They did something terrible to those tribes for that to happen. The men killing all of these people aren't nearly strong enough to do that to one of us!

It's true that the most vile people will use your sentiments against you...but the noses...some sort of symbolic trade? What could be worth killing people for their noses? If parts of us are commodities, how do they treat their own people?

Keelsol spoke up briefly;

They take pieces of their enemies and use them to trade for wives.

For a few minutes, the tribe was silent. Otro spoke up to relieve the awkward tension;

Animagus, we can use your plan. We can use the terrain to our advantage as well - I would trust that living here for so long has given us more direct experience in the landscape. There are many deep holes in the ground, we should cover them with branches and leaves and lead these men into them. The fall will not kill them, but I don't see us having a problem doing that once they've gone in. What else can we do?

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

"Gran says she has an idea, boss." Said Pyot, translating. The ancient halfling witch usually preferred her own language, which was very different to the common speech.

"She says she can poison a piglet or a turtle - something very tasty - so that whoever eats it will go to sleep and wake up paralysed for life, but their flesh won't be poisoned in turn."

The mud monkey beamed around at everyone, who were absorbing this new fact about their head chef.

"Once we have them, we can... you know, take their powers."
    He had learned some tact when discussing his religion in the cosmopolitan little tribe. "Gran says she can learn a lot from their brains." :)

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Now, Lendorn knew things for certain.

When he said, for instance, that there were 83 baboons moving across the opposite ridge, or 54 birds in formation, or even 7,428 seconds until sunset, he was always absolutely definite about it.

Sometimes his abacus seemed to tell him things which seemed impossible to know but he was certain about them nonetheless.

"There could be as many as nine thousand abroad," he said. No-one responded because they didn't really understand the number but he was very grave about it.

"We may fool them here, but - forgive me - every trader knows that your clansmen are predictable. They will be following the herds, along the great migration paths through the north forests and to the plains of the east. Herds which - might I add - will be fewer and whose calves will not drop this year.

"As the maths says, for an unknown number of noses and a coefficient of trickery, for a given value of warriors and foodsource equals doom for your peoples.

"Sorry" :(

Haethor, sensitive to the tone, touched the counting man lightly on his shoulder and sighed sadly. This seemed to serve as a much more dire and certainly understandable utterance than whatever the counting man was saying, and a black mood descended on everyone.

17. Arthgon

With a sigh, he stood up and walked around, thinking about what to do about these new and dire information. What to do. What to do now. Bloody heck.

Is it possible to do both? Taking them out with the forementioned plan when they are following those herds. Or should we do something diffferently like: Leading the herd to them. Or to be precise over them. Because there got to be a way to defend ourself and defeat them. Or do you have a better idea that could save us all? Because I am very sure and proud that you all can think of a master plan.

18. Grossenschwamm

Nothing is meant to last forever. We're born, we live, and we die - but I will not allow these superstitious folk to take us down without a fight. There's not a way to give the information we now possess, and even the idea to strike back at these warriors on all fronts, to each and every far-reaching tribe of our people. Much more, I do not know how many other tribes have what we do.

Unfortunately, we cannot change the path of any herd without directly affecting those who live off of it. However, we can delay a herd and use the confusion of the gods stampeding to eliminate these interlopers. They may be more clever, but there's no reason why they should ever expect something so bold as a direct attack with the fury of the earth and heavens.

Our good friend Haethor may be small compared to his brethren, but he's still larger than anything I've killed myself before I tried to stop a charging Auroch - and he's even bigger than that. He's also quite smart, and knows what's at stake. We know where the herds will be at this time - we also know where those man-hunters will be. It's smarter to take the old or the weak when hunting mammoth, but it's always a good idea to hit only one, and in large numbers (unless Rifa's involved).

Rifa's face beamed and she laughed;

Haha, yeah.

They can't stop an entire herd, they'll only make it angry - but if we make the herd angry and show the mammoths who to blame...then it should be no trouble to take over. This can be said of any herd, but we must be able to make the message clear. Haethor can be our interpreter, should the young god see fit. He is our key.

The spirit of the Thunderbolt lives in this tribe. Haethor wears it, Animagus, Rifa, and Pyot use it. The mammoth totem I've made from this gift shows us what we must do. Should we fail, we die. Should we succeed, it will be many generations before those men come to our people's home - hopefully with more sense.

This ambitious plan hinged on one thing - other creatures understanding and listening to the gods of this primitive world. The Naked Gods lived in what would be known as the continent of Africa as well as southern Europe at this time, and as it's known in the modern world, elephants can hear much lower frequencies of sound than humans can through their feet. There were also many different species of pachyderm living on earth at this time. The message of the dangerous interlopers impinging on life as it's known in Neanderthal territory would spread multiples faster than any man can reasonably run, through the very ground beneath their feet via infra-sound. All it might take is a few well planned skirmishes to push Homo sapiens sapiens back home where they might learn humility - or maybe not.

We can't kill all of them by any means, but we won't have to if all of the animals turn on them at once. If they see the gods oppose their actions and support us, they'll retreat. Carriers of the Thunderbolt, warriors, people of the tribe - we have one chance. The sky gave us this gift, the earth gave us life, and we have to fight for both.

19. Arthgon

As according to the plan of Otro the 'nose stealing heathen' followed the trail and tracks of the herds. Unknown to them the herds were already delayed by the valiant warriors of Otro and Animagus tribe.

Because of their arrogance, the 'nose-stealers' were oblivious of the trap that have been layed for them.

Through the guidence of Haethor, the 'naked gods' began to run towards the 'nose-stealers', thinking them as the culprits who have delayed the herds's way. Other creatures who felt the same way followed soon.

The nose-stealers tried to escape, but the creatures of nature who were angry were a lot faster than they have thought.

Many of the 'nose-stealers' died that day. Crushed by the stampade or tridden by fellow tribe members.

It worked. It actually worked!

Seeing that the trap has worked, Animagus knowing that it was too dangerous to attack them directly tried a new tactic that has not been tried before, but useful against stronger enemies: Guerrilla war/hit and run-attacks.

[OOC] Only if this is okay [/OOC]

Because of the stampede (and maybe through the hit and run attacks) the 'nose stealers' left the area. There was still a lot of them, but they were (because of their superstition) afraid that they came in a land where heathens can control Nature. But how long will they keep away?

[OOC] Okay, or not the right reason they left? [/OOC]

Edit: Fixed some stuff and story-wise.

20. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Now, Haethor was happy to be the centre of attention.

As he understood the plan, they were looking for his mother, or possibly bananas, but they were fighting a certain kind of smelly monkey as they went.

His conversation among the wandering herds they encountered went something like this...

"Mum? Mum?"
    "Go away, boy!"
    "Aww, can I play with you?"
    "No, get lost, you stink of monkey!"
    "Aww, they're okay."
    "Get lost or else!"
    "Okay okay, I'm going."

In the end, the plan worked because Neerda spiked a bunch of bananas with raw adrenal glands while Pyot snuck up to the herd (hiding behind Haethor's ear) and used his sling to shoot a large ginger root right into the matriarch's behind.

The result was an extremely agitated herd which spread its misery evenly over a hundred square miles. Luckily, the companions were ready to run.

The arrogant and ignorant invaders in the area, however, were taken down several pegs, often so low that they were just a kind of jelly stamped into the mud.

Our Host!