on special bunnies...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by praetorian, Apr 20, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Deman

Deman Member

I had a swarm of followers basically. But unlike the earlier Fallout games followers in this game are, as you said, positioned on the same tile as your PC when you enter an area or when they're far away from you. I'm starting to believe that it was simply a freak accident.
    Although your PC can be placed differently on that area when you attempt the "Tula" trick. However, most of the time I ended up close the altar. Don't know if it's possible. Tried to grab on to the gold as well, whereupon the game just let me know that I'm too far away from it. There are bigger fishes out there anyway.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The most satisfying solution I came up with concerning those coins and the unattainable arcane sword in the Ancient Maze was fireballing the closest wall and damaging the items in question to the point of them breaking and disappearing altogether. They're no longer a tease if they don't exist anymore.

3. Deman

Deman Member

I'm at it again...

[​IMG]

Is there anything an oaf like me can't crack in this game?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Intriguing.

What method did you use to get to the coins in the end?

5. Deman

Deman Member

I found the answer to this one in an old thread on these forums, where someone mentioned getting stuck while "jumping over walls". While my PC was jumping the walls, I entered turn based mode. Eventually, I wouldn't say that I got stuck but I seemingly ended up "in between" the stone walls allowing my character to pass through them.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

An interesting method. Sadly, can't get it to work myself. In what game version did you accomplish this?

7. Deman

Deman Member

Heh, I haven't been able to redo this either. You must be able to interrupt the "walk" action once your PC is in the middle of the jump (I've attached a picture which demonstrates how the character is to be positioned). You can monitor it more closely when TB mode is activated. Saving and then loading doesn't work either as the character will still follow through with the action. Any ideas on how to permanenty interrupt an action?

[​IMG]

EDIT

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've walked through walls in tunnel systems before (BMC mines, etc.) and never been able to get out again. I don't know if this a similar phenomenon, it's probably entirely unrelated.

9. Deman

Deman Member

I believe it is the same, since my character was stuck as well as he passed through the stone walls. Wonder what the trigger is, if there is ond.

10. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

I tried this out going in a straight line from Qinterra to T'sen-Ang and back again. By double-clicking the travel-button the whole way I found sooo much Witchbane and Passion Root. Vollinger with his high Perception was usually the first to walk off and pick up those, which suddenly explained to me why Jayna Stiles raises Perception in her high levels, without raising any of the associated skills: She's supposed to use it for spotting herbs!

But due to the non-existent resale value no NPC finds Kadura Stem or Ginka Root worth picking. I guess that was necessary to be able to spread those around in populated areas, or every NPC would be picking the flowers. Although they could've lowered the "worth" of manually placed herbs to make sure they were left alone. Either way I decided that trying to find those during night time just wasn't worth the hassle. So in those regions I only double-clicked during daytime, with slightly slower double-clicks during the nights to let enough time pass to bring some light on the land. I already had too many Coca Leaves, and now I have even more. I guess it's time to double-click my way across Morbihan Plains to find Tobacco instead. Or not, because it's a pretty annoying way to travel. Certainly a feature that rewards boring gameplay. But it was fun to check it out.

11. Jojobobo

I only typically do it when I'm strapped for cash and need a lot of healing items, just before the BMC is perhaps the best example. Later on in the game when I have money I don't bother either, I'll just buy them or the healing salves themselves straight from herbalists - it is a lot more convenient.

12. Deman

Deman Member

Here comes another suitable entry for this thread; ever wanted to peek inside that well-hidden wooden chest in the Panarii Temple? It's reachable and MY GOSH lay your eyes upon its contents!

[​IMG]

Late April Fools' post there, sorry. Seriously though, it's empty. And within your reach.

13. Jojobobo

Was it using the same get inside the walls trick? Nice find - I can't quite understand why that is classed a hexed item though!

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It's hexed because it increases both positive and negative reaction adjustments.

The chest behind the wall in the First Panarii Temple is empty in vanilla/UAP, though. I suspect a mod, however I'm not sure what would be the point of one placing the amulet in a normally unreachable chest. Unless it also makes it reachable somehow, of course.

15. Deman

Deman Member

Oh come on guys just have a look around, both in my earlier reply and in the temple. There are two different methods of approaching the chest. One is to simply find the path that leads there. I've no doubt that this works in the UAP as well. Anyway, I was a bit disappointed when I found the chest to be empty. Couldn't I at least have been rewarded with an easter egg or some sweet cakes?
    As for the amulet, yeah it was placed there by me. If it is somewhere in the game, then it's surely evasive!

16. praetorian

praetorian New Member

so it is empty in UAP you say? good to know, I will worry 'bout in no more.

17. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I'm pretty sure it's missing completely from the game and UAP also. If it's there it's very likely worn by some random NPC or hidden way too well.

18. Mr.Mole

Mr.Mole New Member

I Like your style :thumbup:

I'm going to have to try this. I have been looking through the spells list file and apparently (originally) certain spells worked on walls. I am wondering if you were meant to destroy the walls and pick up the objects... Either that or the game creators thought they'd drive us all out of our minds just for fun. :p

19. Deman

Deman Member

I'm not that familiar with Arcanum's World Editor, but is it advanced enough to perform searches of objects (I recall that you could do this with the editors available for the IE games) which are placed on the game's different maps? That would be the easiest way to find out if it's there or not. Then again, people would probably have tried that already.
    There's also the slight possibility that the amulet is hidden from the PCs sight, while going through the inventory of the holder. Like many of the quest reward items. Don't know what the intention behind this would be though.

Probably the latter. At least it's likely that it is what they were trying to accomplish with it.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

"Body of..." spells were initially meant to have some additional effects. Body of water was meant to enable walking on water while body of air - flying over low walls, such as those surrounding the arcane sword in the Ancient Maze or the coins next to Kerlin's Altar. The idea was eventually dropped because it created too much space for abuse.

Or so I recall.

Our Host!