NPC faces

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by MackaN, Dec 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. MackaN

MackaN New Member

How to add to NPC a picture of his face. I tried to do this many times, but still no results. It is not so easy like add a portrait for player, I think.

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

In WorldEd, bring up the edit menu for the critter.
    Bottom left it says "Portrait" followed by a number. Simply set this number to the number that corresponds to the portrait you want.
    Simple as that.

3. MackaN

MackaN New Member

It's not work.

The number of portriat from Portriaits catalog? The same one I use to my character portrait?

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

In the portrait folder there is a file called gameport.mes. The number here corresponds to the number in WorldEd.
    So if you enter 1007 in WorldEd then the character will have the picture {1007}{HOF1} which is Half-Orc Female 1.

5. MackaN

MackaN New Member

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

7. MackaN

MackaN New Member

And it still dosen't work. So, when I want to put NPC portiart in to game, what nuber I should use? This one from gameportrait.mes? It dosen't work.

8. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I wanted to add Alexander's Portrait to the NPC list from his ending slide. I tried a couple of times and got a blank. Then I opened an existing portrait, pasted his on it, saved it and it worked. So I think it's pretty finicky about size and stuff.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Nice to see you're still with us, MakaN.

For your problem - Just listing the requirements here:

First off, the portraits can only be 256 color, 8-bit BMPs.

Secondly, the size is limited to either 64x64 or 128x128 (best).

Third, the name of the picture has to match the entry in the gameport. i.e.: A picture named NPCFaithe.bmp recieved a listing
    of {1078}{NPCFaithe} in my hack.

Double-check your typing on the entry of the listing to make sure you haven't typed "( )" instead of "{ }". (I've done this.....)

If all those are met, then you can go to your NPC and right click on him or her, which will bring up a pop-up menu. Choose edit.

Here's an example of what you'll see:

[​IMG]

On the left hand side is a box marked portrait. Highlight the existing number and type in the number of the portrait you want that character to have. Then click OK.

Save, exit WorldEd, and test the result.

Off topic - By any chance are you still working on "Arcanum: Zakon Switu"?

10. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Thanks for clear explanation :)

And Yes. I am still working on Zakon Świtu.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

12. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Well, I come back again to the trail of puting my new portraits to the mod, but... still no effects...

I put on the end of file (Arcanum/data/portait/gameport.mes) new line {1078}{NPCVan2}

I have also file Arcanum/data/portrait/NPCVan2.bmp who is in 8bit 256 colors BMP... resolution is 64x64

I changed a number of portrait to my NPC in WorldEd into 1078.

But when I run the game, there is only standard icon for Orc... no changes... ;(

Here you have a example portrait I use: [​IMG]

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I just did a test using that picture and had no trouble getting the portrait to appear.

Now - From what I've seen, you're working on a stand-alone mod. If so, then place the portrait folder inside the (mod name) folder instead of the Arcanum/data one. This should work.

14. MackaN

MackaN New Member

So i put gameport.mes with this BMP into Arcanum\modules\MyMod\portrait... and still no result :(

portraits is that kind of thing that i tried to make 3 years ago... and even after that time nothing change... I still have a problem to do it.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'll do some testing when I get home. Keep checking this thread.

16. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Ok, I can say, that I even tried to make userport.mes in many different folders... But still I dont know how to make visible my portraits in Mod. So I will keep cheking this thread. If you maybe make good test of your portraits, just send me your test module. And I will try your module in my Arcanum, maybe there is something wrong with polish version of Arcanum... but this is not possible, I guess?

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

OK - I've got good news and bad news. I took the English version of Tomb of Tol Guldur, unpacked it, created the portrait folder, copied the gameport and NPCVan2 into it, added a new follower (halfling) and dialog, then went to work.

The good news is that the portrait folder location I suggested is correct.

The bad news is that whatever program you're using to create the pictures is doing something screwy. Even though the picture summory insists that it's a 256 color, 8-bit BMP, your portrait just will not show up.

Mine did. This was {1078}{NPCFaithe}.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314 ... itTest.jpg

I changed out the Faithe picture with three others I had created, and had no trouble getting them to show, but even taking the NPCVan2 to Paint, then Photoshop, and saving it under different names wouldn't let it come up. All I got was a blue blank screen.

Recommendation: Use a different photo editor.
    I made my portraits with Photoshop 5.

18. MackaN

MackaN New Member

So portrait will appear, only when NPC has Dialog script?

19. MackaN

MackaN New Member

And one more thing. On your Screen portrait dosent show on the bottom of the screen in this black frame. Why? Actually I dont want to make portraits only for fallowers, but to all main NPC in Mod.

And an other thing... If portraist will work in catalog Arcanum/modules/MyMod/portraits... is this means that arts will work in
    Arcanum/modules/MyMod/arts too? Right now I am puttig all new graphics to Arcanum/data, but it will be not so easy for normal player to read readme.txt, that he/she should put some of files to folder Arcanum/data to see the module correct.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I completely and utterly misunderstood what you were wanting to do with the portraits - I'm really sorry.
    And no, you don't need a dialog to make the new pictures appear.

Now that you've corrected me, I'll see if there's a way to change the NPC portrait without hex-editing.

You'll need to make the folders read like MyMod/art/scenery or MyMod/art/item and have the listing in the appropriate mes file, but yes.

For ease of installation - and to save you from a million questions about how to install your mod - the all new artwork should be inside your mod, not in the Arcanum/data.

Our Host!