'nother rant from none other than Jureel Krix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jureel_Krix, Sep 19, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mr. Nicotine

Mr. Nicotine New Member

RE : 'nother rant from none other than Jureel Krix

Heh. Was just kvetching about some of the magick vs tech on the Design Flaws thread the other day.

Its just too easy to play as a mage. You can literally play through a sizeable portion of the game (when I lost interest in testing any further) only making use of the harm and minor heal spells.

I did an actual field test of this. It was depressingly unfun in its lack of challenge on any difficulty setting.

The only conversation you MUST have is with Virgil at the beginning. After that you can just blow everything (Virgil included) to kingdom come with repeated castings of one offensive spell, and keep yourself in good shape with one healing spell. You still find your main quest related clues.

I think its cool that the game allows you to play as a "supervillain." I really do. But why the hell is it easier to play as a sociopath?

None of the Fallout / Baldur's Gate penalties to wickedness seem to be enforced. No bounty hunters. No tension about overland travel. No daring escapes. (As long as I'm not in direct combat I can sleep, after all. Even if surrounded by hostile foes.)

(I don't count those Molochean hand guys as bounty hunters. They'll come after you no matter how you choose to play the game.)

The game seems to actually reward solitary depravity over civilized cooperation. What difference do quest XPs make when there's a level cap?

To make matters worse, if you play an elven only child, the Kite Shaman's chest at the Crash Site has a Magick Staff in it with a Mana reservoir of 40 in it.

Yeah. A first level character with 18 Willpower really needs an item like that to get by. :roll:

Our Host!