Next Improvement?

Discussion in 'CyberNations Archive' started by Maximus, Oct 30, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I've already got a harbor, what should my next improvement be?

I'm on the fence about doing a Stadium + Labor Camps

-or-

Satellite + Missile Defense

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

My Stadium + Labor Camps scheme is just a theory and really requires 5 Factories first (currently I have 3). Factories or Banks will increase your growth the most and the faster you grow the more quickly you can get the other improvements.

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Banks = Cash to spend on any shit you want (think: You're at war, that bank gets you another cruise missile).
    Factory = Savings when you buy infrastructure.

For my nation I worked it out that Banks got me I think slightly less cash than the saving I would've gotten from the Factory. Given I needed more infrastructure to get more people so I could buy more improvements (as there's only one improvement allowed per 1,000 people) and that infrastructure was only going to go up with the more I bought, I figured the Factory would actually save me more in the long run, so I bought a Factory.

Also, Vorak said to buy a factory.

4. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Hmm... Factories make sense, so I'll probably get one tmw or the next day. What CN needs is something to cut infra upkeep costs down, its eating me alive!

5. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Government choices Capitalist, Dictatorship, Federal, Monarchy, Republic, and Revolutionary all give -5% infrastructure costs.

Resources Aluminium (-7%), Coal (-4%), Marble (-10%), Rubber (-3%) all reduce infrastructure costs.

Resources Iron (-5%, -10% upkeep) and Lumber (-6%, -8% upkeep) reduce both infrastructure cost and upkeep.

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I think I should purchase my first Improvement soon, I've got an infrastructure of 219 and just above 2000 people. How did you save up to get it? Did you collect taxes every day and paid you bills (risking that someone would attack you and steal it all, or did you wait until you had all the money in taxes without collecting them (so you'd have to pay interest on your bills)?

7. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

Well personally I just saved up until I got it. But with stronger nations you can get an improvement in one tax collection day like yesterday I brought a factory just on the taxes collected. Depending on whether you are at war or not or are vunerable you have to be careful.

8. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I saved for five days to get my harbor, and fougth a war in between. Thats not the recommended course, by it worked.

Since Wraith is being so generous, you should hit him up nicely. He's just waiting for someone to give a grant to. Of course, you'll have to stand around with him for the photo-ops and smile at the camera, but who needs dignity when you can get a harbor for free? :)

9. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I'm saving up for a harbor now, but I'm thinking of giving in to temptation and buy a bank tomorrow. I think I'll get rid of my clinic anyway, so even with the decline in population, I'll probably be saving up for a harbor in a few days, even if I buy a bank.

10. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Get the harbor first, then you can get a lot of bonus resources which cant be beat. Plus, the harbor is the most expensive, everything else is downhill after that.

I struggled to get a harbor, and now I've got that, a bank, and a factory.

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Yeah, go harbor first, then bank, then factory. It's something I'm pushing to the forefront.

12. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I thought you already had a harbor, whats the hold up?

13. Vorak

I got my harbour when they still cost $120 000 I had a plan that I'd be able save for it in 5 days if I paid my bills and kept out of debt or 2 or 3 if I went into debt. I went for the 5 day plan and on the fifth day was $2000 short because I hadn't noticed that my people wanted a new religion and I'd lost 1 happiness.

14. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Is that how it works?

I tried not collecting taxes, and that gave me no interest at all.

Then I tried collecting taxes but not spending the cash (apart from the bills) and I think I got some depressingly small amount in interest from the large wads of bills gathering dust around the palace.

So, neither way seemed really useful. (Though my income was rather small at the time, and thus not much interest could be expected either way.)

15. Vorak

Whatever you do don't go 15 days without collecting taxes or your nation is deleted for inactivity.

16. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I have to be active these days, just for raiding two nations every update (14-20 infra each per raid).

And I've taken the nice route of collecting one day, then not collecting again until all is spent on the bills. There's no fear of losing the money in war, since both enemies are kept in constant anarchy.

17. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I'll have more than 300k after taxes and since my pop is a little bit higher than 4000 and I only have a harbor, I'll buy two factories and a bank. Is that a good plan or should I buy something else, like tech (I have 11 for the moment) or infra( around 370, I think)?

18. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

You could always work out how much extra income a bank is going to get you (Add 7% per bank to whatever your income is) versus the saving from the factories over-time (-8% every infrastructure purchase per factory). Keep in mind you HAVE to buy infrastructure though in order to get more people to buy more improvements. When I ran the calculations, it seemed pretty apparent to me that getting a Harbour first, followed by 5 Factories was the best way to go. In terms of growing your nation with infrastructure purchases that is. Banks and the happiness boosters have appeal in the event you get into a war. Sometimes having the extra cash is better than cheaper infrastructure and Tanks.

19. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Well, since my pop income lies around 90-95 after 28% taxes, I think buying a bank is a good idea. More money is always good, don't you think?

20. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

There is another route than constantly growing with ever more infrastructure: spend the cash on tech instead. That way, your national strength rises very much slower (so you can avoid growing into "big boy" range) while your "punch" increases (meaning you'll probably out-smack nations of similar strength).

(In somewhat unrelated affairts: Land is useless. It justs boosts your national strength while not actually making you stronger.)

Our Host!