New starter - thanks for being here!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by UK_John, Apr 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Just got this game as there are now a dearth of good deep RPG's for PC (Mass Effect an RPG? - Pleeaze!)

So I decided to register here as there seems a good community! :)

Have added all the patches, the high-res mod and the 6.0 WIP, so I hope not to have the problems all those 1.0 reviews talk about!

I must admit, when it comes to deep RPG's there should be a different reviewing method. Quite simply ALL RPG's arrive with bugs, but some get support (patches and mods that fix things) and some don't, and deep RPG's definitely need another look at by reviewers 6 months or one year on...

Anyway, if I have any grief, I will come back and haunt you -like that ghost in the first cave! :) Unlike him though, I won't curse you, i'll just see if you have the answer! :)

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Wooh, another one joins the ranks.

3. Metthew

Metthew New Member

Yay! Someone else joined just after the day I joined!... Nice to see I'm not the only one who prefers the old games...

P.S. - Although I did like SW:KotOR, which was produced by the company that did Mass Effect, but still...

4. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Yes, unfortunately, if you know the old games, you know the trends we're seeing....! :( Oh, and do you really think you'll see any game now or in the future with a manual as great as Arcanum's?! I think not!

And SW:KOTOR has to be one of the best RPG's in my collection, along with Fallout, Morrowind and the lesser known Anachonox! Luckily every PC game I have ever bought, I have kept, so for example, I can turn to my right and I can see that 3D holographic skeleton looking at me from the Stonekeep box! :)

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Stonekeep was awesome in almost everything it did. The visuals were absolutely stunning for the time the game was released. Unlike certain modern games acclaimed for their stunning looks, it was also a damn long, unforgiving adventure. Oh, and it featured a tentacle monster.

6. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Well, I could point out next to it are games from Dragon Wars to Midwinter and Outcast to Gothic, all different forms of RPG/Adventure! Good times still being had because of all the old games I have sitting on my shelves! :)

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

8. UK_John

UK_John New Member

If you man great manual - then yes, Fallout is up there, so is the Battlezone manual!

If you mean sitting next to the games I mentioned, well, not right next, but yes, big box Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are there too! :)

9. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

10. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Game was an 80%'er, but dug out the manual for a reminder, and yes, it is a great manual! Interesting that so far we have mentioned all big box games when it comes to great manuals....! :)

11. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I'm surprised amongst all this talk of great old RPGs nobody has mentioned Planescape: Torment. PS:T is probably one of the best stories I've ever played through.

Now if only I could find a copy for less than $100....

12. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Yes, I have the big box version and an American 'CD case style' version, which is my backup. Planescape, The Longest Journey, Terra Nova: Task Force Centauri and the original System Shock are the only 4 games I have ever specifically bought another copy as backup, just in case, and keep them in a separate location! That should tell you what I think of these games compared to all others.

And keep looking, you never know! For example - quite a few at the moment on ebay....!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

13. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Magicarp: try this. I'm afraid that, other than that, you're going to've to lube up and take the pain. Btw, I have the two disc version. If any of you have a four disk version that you're interested in selling, please let me know. I've heard a rumor that the four disk had nicer cut scenes/videos/etc. Actually, if you want to sell it, offer it to Magicarp first. I've the two disk set already.. I just want the four.

Two following links I couldn't get to format. I think that means it's bedtime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Planescape-Torment- ... 1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Planescape-Torment- ... 1|240:1318

14. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Just to say that air shipping for Planescape Torment from the UK would be about $12, this means you are better of buying in the UK for $20 or so then paying $12 shipping than paying $75.00+$3.00 in the U.S. As they are PC games, they will work on any PC anywhere in the world. I have bought many games from ebay U.S. and had no problem with them, unlike our console counterparts that have to hack machines, etc! :)

15. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

I don't know if the high-res mod and WIP are compatible with each other. You should make sure with one of the modders.

16. UK_John

UK_John New Member

Well, being playing the game for nearly 4 hours and no problem, mind you, I only run the game at 1024x768 as I want to see the characters and gameworld, not have them so tiny as to be invisible! :)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The high resolution patch is compatible with anything that's based on the 1.0.7.4 version.

18. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

19. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Do legal torrents exist then?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Deleted the warez links.

soviet, Vorak will probably ban you. Again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!