Need help for background

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Gurthaur, Jan 14, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gurthaur

Gurthaur New Member

Greetings. Since Terra-Arcanum is down, I do not know if such background exists and I don't know how to create it. It's a role-playing background that I would like to play, so if anyone could take a few minutes to create it, I'd be really glad. I know Terra-Arcanum isn't my personal army. Thanks in advance.

Elven Male-Female

Background name:
    Unmagickal Elf

Advantages:
    Technological Aptitude +15%
    +2 Intelligence
    +1 Perception

Disadvantages:
    Cannot wield magic items
    -2 Charisma
    -2 Willpower

Background:
    "Due to a curse laid upon your heritage, you are unable to use any kind of magick or magickal equipment. Since you were a child, you struggled to make everything with your own hands. This has pushed you to pursue a lifestyle unheard among elves. You got interested in rising ways of technology and have read anything about technology came from outside world. Though banned from magick, you still had a long lifespan and years of studying and observing the physical laws of nature (+ 1 Perception), mathematics and analytical thinking (+2 Intelligence), you developed your own way of life, away from traditional elvish way (Technological Aptitude +15%). Yet, even though they pitied you, you could never blend in with fellow elves which made you quite asocial (-2 Charisma) and you are depressed and have many doubts of yourself (-2 Willpower). One day, just walking in the woods, you didn't feel like going back to your village."

Feel free to correct any grammatical mistakes, as I'm not a native speaker.

2. Nataku

Nataku Member

No way, this is a special effect and I don't know how to reproduce them. For the technophobia background, the effect is just Strength+1, constitution+1 (st+1, cn+1), but there is nothing about the main effect. For the special background (as the one which incresase magic apt during day) and which have no other effect, it wrote "INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK! Used for effects that are handled by the engine, but need an effect number".
    That kinda effect are not coded on the rules files, I don't know where they are.
    If you give up that point of the background, there is no matter (if I do it myself all you background will be in french but i can "easily" explain how you can do it

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It's hardcoded, you can't. No one said you have to, though.

All it takes is modifying the Magick Allergy background, substituting its description, effects and racial affiliations with Gurthaur's.

Decided to give it a go to refresh my background creating know-how.

Here is the download link.
    • Go to your main Arcanum folder.
      Place gameback.mes in Arcanum/data/mes/
      Place backgrnd.mes and effect.mes in Arcanum/data/rules/
      (You may need to create those folders)
      VoilĂ .

The description isn't perfect English, but I didn't modify it. If it's good for you, that's what matter's, eh?
    As I mentioned, the background replaces the Magick Allergy background from the core game.
    Have fun!

PS. Just to be clear. About the "Technological Aptitude +15%" bonus, you wanted it to negate the elf's natural 15% magickal aptitude to bring it down to (about) zero, or to go even further and make the elf's aptitude 15% technological? The background currently does the former.

4. Nataku

Nataku Member

By the way : nobody know how to recreate that kinda effect ? I wished use this with items (especially the one with condition "pc is on natural ground"). But it seemed to be impossible so I gave up. But if anyone know, it could be very cool ! 0:)

Our Host!