need a crack for v 1.0.7.4

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by aralcan, Aug 19, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Yes, the "best buy" or wtf series.

Unfortunately I don't know if any money from them goes to any employee of the late Troika game. (Sierra gets some, that's for sure!)

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

You can still get it down here, but it does take a bit of work.

As for us harassing the ones who use illegal copies, we are defending the creations of a company that no longer exists. That isn't exactly a good example of how illegal copies are okay.

And yes I understand that some people will buy an authentic copy after trying a cracked version, but most won't.

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

To be honest, I don't really care about a company that wants to make millions from a hyped shit-quality thing.

4. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

What exactly do you mean in this particular context?

I'm sure you didn't mean arcanum as the product in question. You must mean that in general you don't care if people try out a product illegally, find it to be crap and fail to buy it afterward?

That doesn't really address the contention that people will fail to buy a game they tried illegally when they *do* like it.

Anyway, Aren't demos a better way to aquaint yourself with a game than downloading it illegally?

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

As a general rule, demos are buggy and far from as good as the full game.

6. Vorak

If you play a game illegally decide you don't like it and then don't buy a copy you are stealing, you may as well have walked into a shop picked up a copy and walked out.

As for my shareware comments, games made by id, at least in the earlier days, were shareware. That is to say, the first part of the game was available for free and was on a CD or disc that did a complete install, negating the need for having a disc in any drive to run the game. But that wasn't the whole program, it was a taste, not really a demo, but a portion of the completed game that was available for free. You had to buy the remaining chapters and install them.

Not to mention that of the games you mentioned, the newest one came out in 1999, which was some time ago so far as advancements in software security go.

7. Xz

It's not as bad as going in to a shop and taking it, if you do that, you are actually depriving someone of their copy and their money, if you copy it you just deprive someone of their money. Bad, yes, but not as bad as stealing it physically.

8. Vorak

And why not?

By taking a physical copy, you are illegally obtaining a game. Downloading it you are doing the same thing, you are still getting the same thing in the end, just via a different method of theft.

9. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Whoah it's very important that you understand what a huge difference there is here.

Shoplifting costs the brick and mortar company retail company hard cash. Someone illegally downloading software then deciding they don't like it and not buying it doesn't remove cash from anyone. The *BIG* difference is that someone (the retailer) paid for the particular copy you stole from the store whereas *nobody* has paid anything for the particular copy someone downloads from a warez site somewhere. In the first case it is simple theft in the second case the damage can run the complete range from zero damage to (the cash loss equivalent of) full blown theft depending upon what the behavior of the downloader in the absence of the downloading activity would have been.

True but I only remember that being the case for Doom. For everything later there was traditional demos instead or in the case of Doom2 no demo at all iirc.

exactly. It rubs the wrong way entirely when 'progress' somehow leads to less convenience.

10. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

it doesn't matter what you get in the end.

If I fish a copy out of the landfill and if I sneak into somebodys house and steal their copy of arcanum I'm still getting the same thing in the end (a copy of something I wanted and could otherwise have bought but didn't) but one is morally reprehensible the other probably isn't even theoretically wrong.

11. Vorak

Games don't just magically appear from nowhere. Someone has to come up with the original concept, they present it/sell it too a game company (Like Troika), that company presents the concept to a publisher (Like Sierra) and if the publisher like the concept they give the smaller company the money to make the game in return for most of the legal rights associated with it and the lions share of the profits.

The money that the publisher spends making the game pays for it development and marketing under the assumption that they will see that money again. Everytime a copy of a game is sold the publisher get some of their money back; And the more money they make in a deal the more money they'll give a company the next time they present a concept.

So you havn't taken something that *nobody* has paid for you have stolen income from the company that helped make the game a reality and these companies are in turn owned by shareholders, so you've just reduced the income of a whole lot of people by stealing that game, and if everyone stole a copy then the shareholders wouldn't make a profit at all and if that happened, they'd stop investing in the industry.
    I'll take your authority on that, I never really got into Quake, but Doom was Shareware and Doom II was essentially a mod built on the Doom engine.
    Well, none of the more modern precautions would have ever been instituted if people didn't crack software to begin with. By supporting illegal software you are causing your own problem of decreased convenience.

12. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Aye there's the rub! It's actually much more complicated than you jsut described because in one very real sense copies of intellectual property really *do* just "magically" appear out of nowhere.

Now you see one copy....
    Hey presto! now you see two.

The problem was all the work involved in making that original copy. The best system is to have those who bennefit from the intellectual property pay for it. This covers the costs to produce the original copy and provides incentives to produce other original copies of intellectual property.

however this does not in any way change the fact that copies can be "magically" produced at no additional expense to the author(s) of the property. The important thing is to make sure that no such copying activity is used to circumvent the original authors being compensated for consumption of their product by those who bennefit from it.

I oppose (or at least am irritated and annoyed by) some anti-piracy tactics but I hate the illegal downloading and use of software that people know they would otherwise buy even more. Don't mistake me for a supporter of illegal use of software.

13. Xz

I download isos of most my games, heck I haven't even opened my Arcanum box.

14. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Why? wouldn't it be even easier just to make your own ISO?

15. Vorak

I apologise for infering that you support piracy, but you are walking a fine line in what you do. And with that note I think I'll agree to disagree, because we are starting to go around in circles.

16. Xz

That would require me to open my box. :)

17. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Or, they'd have to start making games that didn't suck.

Do you think it's bad to borrow a game from a friend or play it with him to try them before you buy it? It's pretty much the same thing, either you like the game and go buy it, or you don't like it and return it.

If you don't like copy protection, I suggest you try the [urlhttp://www.download.com/Galactic-Civilizations-II-Dread-Lords-demo/3000-7493_4-10518894.html]demo[/url] of Galactic Civilizations 2, and if you like it, buy it, this game has no copy protection whatsoever, and by buying it you prove that people are honest, and help support the absence of copy protection.

18. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

I just looked at the poor guys posting history. I *really* doubt he was looking for a way to play an illegal copy of the game since it seems clear he's been playing it already.

19. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

He clearly stated that he wanted a crack for 1.0.7.4. I'm sure he is playing 1.0.7.0 with crack.

20. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Cracks can stop working for games after patches?

Our Host!