Music & Sound in your own MOD

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by MackaN, Dec 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Well, I know how to put new music to the mod. But... I think my metod is not so correct. If someone know better way to do this, please tell me.

In my mod I had a catalog:
    .../myMod/sound/music

But when I put to this catalog some MP3s and try to edit all thinkgs in file
    .../myMod/sound/music/schemelist.mes and this secound one schemeindex.mes nothing works.

So my idea was:
    Put to my mod orginal music from data Arcanum and also orginal schemelist.mes and shemeindex.mes.

Then put some my MP3s to .../myMod/sound/music. And than change names of this MP3s to orginal arcanum names and oversave it.
    For example:
    mymainmusic.mp3, I have changed to arcanum.mp3 and I have put it to .../myMod/sound/music. And now, I have in my mod new MainMenuMusic and TravelingMusic.

If I want to change the area music. I put an other mp3 to my catalog and change the name to tarant.mp3

Then in WorldEditor I change (Right Mouse Button) a music for the sector and it work!

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Here's what it says in the WorldEd Manual:
    Sounds:

General (snd_user.mes):
    To add sounds to a module, copy the desired .WAV file into the sound directory and add it to the index in snd_user.mes starting at line 6000. Once this is done, the sound can be played via scripts.

Scheme Data (schemelist):
    The schemelist allows the user to specify music as well as collections of sounds to create ambient environments. Some of the sound schemes found in the schemelist are embedded in the terrain sector data i.e. Forest sectors play a certain music and ambient scheme. Beyond that, sound schemes then can be assigned to a map as a whole or on a sector by sector basis. Schemes can also be called in scripts. In Arcanum, tile scripts were placed on either side of the thresholds (doors, windows) of certain buildings. When you crossed the tile into the building, the script turned on a scheme of ambient sound (such as a blacksmith’s shop) and changed it back to the default upon leaving the building.

Though there is no physical restriction on where music and ambient schemes can be listed in the file, we at Troika have decided to allocate half of the list to music (lines 100-2900) and the rest to ambient schemes (lines 3000+).

When adding sounds to schemelist, all the sounds listed need to be in the sound directory. Note that MP3’s are always streamed from the disc and WAV’s are cached into memory. Therefore, music should always be in the MP3 format and sound effects should use the WAV format.

Each entry in the schemelist is separated 100 lines, this allows for 100 sounds that can be played for a given scheme. Each line first has a file that is in the sound directory listed. For example {3000}{LEVEL_UP.WAV}. After the name a number of parameters can be specified, allowing the user to control things such as volume, balance, etc. Below is a list of all the legal parameters.

/LOOP - causes the sound to loop indefinitely until that scheme is exited. Loop is exclusive of all other controls except VOL and TIME.
    /ANCHOR - this is a one-off song. Play it immediately at the start of this scheme and then stop.
    /OVER - this is a one-off song. At its termination, it brings back the previously-playing scheme. WARNING: You can only have one /OVER sound per scheme. If you have multiple ones, the first one that ends will cause the previous scheme to reload.
    /FREQ: - frequency of occurrence (0-100) (default: 50)
    /TIME: - range of times (in 24-hr units) (default: 0-23 inclusive)
    /TIME:6-8 ; from 6am to 8am
    /TIME:19-21 ; from 7pm to 9pm
    /TIME:12 ; only during the hour of noon
    /BAL: - range of balance ((L)0-100(R)) (default: 50)
    /BAL:50 ; always centered
    /BAL:30-70 ; range from left to right a bit
    /BAL:0-100 ; can spread left/right anywhere
    /VOL: - range of volume (0-100) (default: 100)
    /VOL:10-50 ; ranges from pretty quiet to half-loud
    /VOL:80-100 ; ranges from pretty loud to full volume
    /SCATTER: - range of scatter (sets /BAL and /VOL) (default: 50)
    /SCATTER:0 ; equivalent to: /VOL:100 and /BAL:50 (this is default anyway)
    /SCATTER:50 ; equivalent to: /vol:50-100 and /BAL:25-75
    /SCATTER:100 ; equivalent to: /vol:50-100 and /BAL:0-100

You should be able to add new lines to schemeindex and schemelist, rather than have to replace original music.
    I haven't done this myself so I cannot tell you anything further. What I do find odd is that when you undat all the Arcanum files, there is no music directory. There isn't a music directory on the cd either.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The music is in SIERRA\Arcanum\modules\Arcanum\sound\music - not in the DATs.

4. MackaN

MackaN New Member

TONGSyaBASS, I know the Manual. Manual is one thing, how it look in real is an other. The names of files in your mod have to look like this names from arcanums mp3

5. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I don't have that folder.
    My installation of Arcanum has been in use for 2 years so I can only assume I deleted it once upon a time.

MackaN, I don't know what you mean about the manual looking different from the files. To me they look identical. Everything the manual mentions is there in the file.
    I'm afraid you'll have to figure it out yourself. I've never altered the sound files and I don't have the time to play around with it.

6. team a

team a New Member

MackaN's right- worlded manual has a few errors, at least, as do some of the editdocs.

I think this is what he means:

there are errors when you try to edit some of the .mes files. I have tried to edit schemeindex.mes because I wanted to use the "tarant sewers" music, which I copied to /sounds/music, and I also changed schemelist.mes to reflect the new location of the files. However, there were errors. What I believe happens is that schemeindex.mes is not editable, although I'm not certain why. Trying to change the file in any way seems to not yield any effect. However, I have had success with schemelist.mes.

MackaN, I think changing schemelist.mes and renaming files is totally the right idea- i'm going to do something like that as well. However, I'd suggest that you probably don't have to change the file name- just change the path.

For example, in schemelist.mes:

§§§ KERGHAN'S LIAR MUSIC §§§

{2200}{..\..\<MOD>\sound\music\My_Dungeon_Music.mp3 /loop /vol:50}

when applying to a sector, you might still have to use "M.Kerghan's Lair #2200" under the drop down menu, because schemeindex.mes does not appear editable. you'd have to know that it corresponded to the music you added.

I havent tried adding my own music yet, but I'll try it out soon with the tarant sewers music.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You'll need to match it up with schemeindex.mes. I haven't added any new music, but I did add a couple new sound effects that way.

Example:
    Schemeindex - {60}{A.RunningWater #6000}
    Schemelist - *** Running Water ***
    {6000}{creek.wav /loop /freq:5/ vol:5}

8. team a

team a New Member

I just tried it again, with adding a new line to schemeindex.mes, as well as editing the name of the description of an existing line, and no success being able to select them to add to a sector. Could be just a problem with worlded 1074. Wouldn't be the only one.

Our Host!