Music and Custom Portraits

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Xayvong, Jan 13, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

I simply have 2 questions.

How do I add custom music to Mods in Arcanum?

and how do I change follower portraits?

If you don't want to actually type it out and instead point me to some documentation that I have missed or have failed to read, that would also be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

As in, [1] substitute already existing music with new tunes or [2] add new music without touching the already existing tunes?

As in, [1] substitute portraits of already existing followers or [2] add new portraits for new followers?

I'm asking, because I can help you with [1] but not [2].

3. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

Well darn...[2] is everything that I need....BUT, I'd be glad to know [1] too.

On a side note, Do you know how to set up a quest in scripts where it sets the quest state to 3 when you pick up a certain item?

I'm getting a little confused doing this. Since the AMTUT didn't explain it very well.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well, I never tinkered enough with the editor to be of any help when it goes to that. All I can give you here are some primitive file substituting tricks.

The music part is quite intuitive. Substituting music files in the main Arcanum module requires going to the Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/sound/music/ folder and putting your files in place of the already existing ones while keeping the names of the originals.

The easiest way to change follower portraits requires putting new substituting files in the Arcanum/data/portrait/ folder. For a file to work as portrait of a follower it has to be a 64 x 64 x 8 BPP bitmap with the right name. Now, I could list those names and explain which one needs to be used for which follower, but that would be a rather needless chore considering the fact, that I can just give you the full folder so you can easily figure it out yourself.

Hope someone with help you figure out [2].

5. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

Much appreciated Muro.

It would be nice to have a little bit more guidance for WorldED, but I'll try to figure it out as I go along.

Basically, while I'm developing the music for OpenArcanum, I plan on making a series of modules that will introduce all of the characters with stories, backdrops, quests ect. in a new land.

Kind of like a book with chapters, except that it will be in a game.

Doing it in a chapter book format makes each module more manageable and lets me focus on making each chapter more condensed and full of content, rather than try to spread it around a large world.

I have a small team of people helping me out with this, so each chapter will be released regularly, though time between each chapter will vary.

Thanks again for the help Muro!

6. Rexperry

Rexperry New Member

I was also having a doubt about the Arcanum and portraits but muro have explained it in a very easy way. I like the point which he told about the easiest way to change follower portraits.

7. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

Yep, Attatch this script to the items "get" slot,
    0 set pc (triggerer) quest (quest number) to state 3
    1 return and run default

If its a delivery quest, (handing an item to an npc) make sure you set an internal for the item in omes/gameoname.mes {2201}{Ancient Dagger}
    Then be sure to tell the item its internal in world ed. Right click, edit, top left internal, then select its description, for this example Ancient Dagger.

Then to hand the item over you need to call it from the dialogue script heres an example.
    {50}{So it seems... very well... Have some gold as a reward.}{So it seems... very well... Have some gold as a reward.}{}{}{}{in 2201, qu1001 4}

The "in 2201" transfers the item 2201 to the npc, likewise "in -2201" will have the npc give you the item. qu1001 4 sets quest 1001 to completed.
    Hope this helped!

Our Host!