Most regreted PC game purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WB Steamcock, Mar 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Loved Saints Row 2, with its buggy randomness and epic amounts of FUN.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Me, I adored Folklore's gameplay and visuals, and Keats' side of the story was EPIC FUCKING WIN (how can I not love the cynical occult journalist let loose in the Netherworld?), but the game was held back from perfection by the presence of Ellen.

In all seriousness, I would call Folklore the Best Game Ever if not for her.

For another addition to the 'Why the FUCK did I spend good money on this game?' list, WoW. The gameplay was actually pretty fun, but the other players were dickheads of the first order. Make a game with WoW's addictiveness and gameplay and a single-player mode, then we'll talk. (There's a reason I'm still playing Phantasy Star Online, even though the servers are long gone.)

3. xElatOth

xElatOth New Member

Oh Noooo!
    Folklore???
    I actually bought the PS3 for that and well.... sold the system 4 days later...lol (seriously though, I bought it for that, MGS4. FF13, LBP, but after almost 2 years none were out yet and I gave up... so did many, but I digress)

I guess I didn't give Folklore enough of a chance, but the game seemed really patched together and the combat was seemingly mindless (ala dynasty warriors imho).
    OH, and that PS3 controller motion stuff?

There were some novel ideas:
    (the soul capturing)
    (the way cutscenes were drawn)
    (I actually LOVED how quirky the story was)

But the actual gameplay... could NOT get into it.
    Maybe I did not progress far enough to get to the good stuff, cause after 5 hours I was just rinsing and repeating ad nausium... :p

* Oh, I just realized that since we are not genetically identical we may have different tastes in games... so booo to me for gettin' all up on your game :/

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Bah, at least you're willing to acknowledge that there were bits you liked. I will freely admit the plot took a while to get going, but when it did... Wheeeee!

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I loved GTA4. It lagged a little, but was still great. The plot was awesome. I've no idea about the game either of you're talking about. I remain an anti-console person.

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

In which case, DF, it sucks to be you. You're missing out on some brilliant stuff. (I'm not biased towards PC or Console, or any particular brand within the console arena... with one exception. I will NEVER own an X-Box.)

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Now that you mention the consoles, which is better: DS or PSP?

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

PSP has Chains of Olympus I had fun playing that game and far to few games are actually fun anymore.

9. xElatOth

xElatOth New Member

I just can not resist the cute lil' boxes...lol

I am first and foremost a PC gamer, always will be, but I was born in 1977 ans grew up on Atari, Coleco and then the NES and on and on... so...

See, while PC is best, it can be expensive to upkeep, whereas a console is a 1 shot and your done + the graphics are catchin' up.

However, the keyboard and mouse will always KILL a controller for most things :D

and I HATE when high console sales force developers to destroy a great PC game with a craptastic port... UGGGG :x

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I have never played a PSP, but I play my DS all of the time. As such, I can only offer you one side of the analysis, but find somebody who touts the PSP and you may get a balanced perspective.

I think the backward compatibility of the Game Boy Advance library is enough to sell it over the PSP, but that depends entirely on one's interest in some of the older games. Some of the casual puzzle games have been the ones I've most enjoyed on the DS, and I cannot see those being executed nearly as well on the PSP. If those kinds of games are your preference, then I'd recommend the DS over the PSP.

11. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

The Pitt for Fallout 3 was a major disappointment. Although not a bigger disappointment than Operation: Anchorage. Nothing is a bigger disappointment than Anchorage.

12. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

TheDavisChanger:I do like puzzle games, but I am more into RPG's and Adventure Games. So my question is: Are there any good Adventure games, RPG's for the DS or PSP?

13. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Arthgon, let us continue this discussion off-line.

On a somewhat related topic, head to gamefaqs to vote for the best game ever. When I voted earlier today, I put Super Mario Kart within one vote of tying Super Metroid. Super Metroid has since taken the lead.

14. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Hokay, DS vs. PSP. I happen to own both consoles, so...

The PSP has a pretty nice library of games, both re-releases of old stuff and new things. There is an unfortunate tendancy towards... *shudder* mindless fighting games and sport simulators, but there are some real gems on there, and it's the only chance a great many people are ever going to have to play some classic RPGs. The music and movie capabilities are pretty nice, as is the ability to connect to one's PC. I don't have the very latest ones, which can connect to TVs and so forth, but I love the one I have and I happen to have several pre-orders for it right now.

The DS is definately more of a casual gamer's console. It's plagued by horrendous 'life' simulators and gimmicky games, which is sad because there are some very fun little games that make genuinely good use of it. (I'd love to know when we're actually going to get one of the Atelier games for DS outside of Japan, because they look damn cool.) The reverse compatability is very nice and has allowed me to finally get rid of my blasted GBS, although if you don't already own some GB games you'd be better off getting the new DSi, which lacks the backwards compatability but has some very stylish features to make up for the lack.

In general, the PSP is more of a gamer's console, while the DS is more for the casual gamer, but both have nice features and some very cool games. Really, it's up to the gamer in question which one they want to get.

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

So really it's the same story as the PS3 vs the Wii.

17. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much.

I prefer my DS over the PSP I have because the DS games tend to have more replay value than the PSP games I've played.

That and I'm looking forward to the new Shin Megami Tensei game coming to DS.

18. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've heard that the PSP is very fragile compared to the more solid DS. True?

19. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

My issue is the fact that Consoles tend to be out dated in 4-5 years. As is, most of the gaming I do will run on the machine that is now my file server. I think we're near a point where the rate of PC upgrading is going to slow, due to the fact that unless you're into the high-intensity FPS games, most games don't require that high of specs.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

...I honestly can't answer that. I can, however, say that my PSP has survived some pretty impressive falls. I haven't had a clumsy moment with my DS yet, but then again I've only had it a couple of weeks...

Our Host!