Mod: Followers Auto-Level

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by FilthyJack, Sep 25, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FilthyJack

FilthyJack Member Supporter

Hello, I've been playing with this for some time so why not release it.

This is a mod that allows your followers to adjust their level to yours when they join/rejoin you.
    It works fine with the followers I could test so the others should be good too. You can use existing savegames with this as well.

Edit:

Alright, I've been able to complete this mod.

-Works for all followers except the temporary ones (IE:Doc Roberts).
    -Compatible with the US version patched to 1074 + UAP.

The program I made is a general purpose Mod Installer.
    It contains the Followers Auto-Level mod as well as other useful community mods.
    They are all compatible with eachother.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I believe this is the most sought after feature, at least it is for me. I'm supposing, since you're working from a list, that it's impossible to make a universal script that makes sure that every follower is appropriately leveled whenever the party is modified.

Anyway this is marvelous. Thank you.

3. FilthyJack

There is actually only one script that does it for anyone, but you still have to 'call' or 'execute' that script when appropriate 'character joins'. You could perfectly call the AdjustLevel Script with proper attachee variable from anywhere if Attachee is an active follower.

This is my first try with these scripts, but I will provide this feature for every follower.
    I really wanted to be able to get any NPC follower late in the game w/o having to level em up from scratch, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this is a missing feature :)

Edit: Maybe I could write a heartbeat script for the player (executes every x secs) to check for new party members, cycle through them and adjust their level if necessary, but that would mean when they first join AND whenever they wait/join again. Also the heartbeat script would mean it doesn't require dialog/scr modifications, so no language restriction.

So I'll probably end up providing both ways as options:

-AutoLevel (First Join)
    -AutoLevel (Everytime)
    -Checkboxes to select individual Followers.

4. FilthyJack

Alright, I've been able to complete this mod.

-Works for all followers except the temporary ones (IE:Doc Roberts).
    -Compatible with the US version patched to 1074 + UAP.

The program I made is a general purpose Mod Installer.
    It contains the Followers Auto-Level mod as well as other useful community mods.
    They are all compatible with eachother.

Preview:

Dowload: ArcanumCommunityMods

I'm quite happy with the way the installer turned out, it uses simple textfiles to add/remove mods and has a simple set of commands.

Tech Details:
    You can browse to the different mods folder and have a look at a few examples.

If you want to add a mod then you need to change the file called config.txt and add to the number on third line, which tells the program how many mods folder there is. Just call your new mod folder ModX where x is the next number available.

Create 'infos.txt'
    First line is the title, the rest of the file is the description.

Create 'commands.txt'
    The set of commands, one per line, separated by * character.

Create \files\ folder if you intend to copy any file to Arcanum\ .

Available script commands:

Copy a file located inside the mod's files\ folder directly to Arcanum\ + destination_folder.
    copy*file_name*destination_folder

Copy and overwrite if file exists.
    copy_overwrite*file_name*destination_folder

Patch Arcanum.exe at specified offset with new byte ($FF) value, restore_value is used when uninstalling.
    Every value is in hex and must start with $.

patch_byte*$offset*$new_value*$restore_value

The same with dword ($FFFFFFFF)
    patch_dword*$offset*$new_value*$restore_value
    Have fun :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  5. FilthyJack

I realised this mod is very intrusive, overriding all dialogues and scripts, making it incompatible with any other mod using this files, or other game languages.

So I'm considering another way, like doing it when you sleep in the Ring of Brodgar (only one script to modify) or making a wand of level up or something like that (again only one item). I will release it soon with the new version of Arcanum Factory.

If someone has a better idea, something that integrates seemlessly into the game, then let's discuss it! :)

Our Host!