Mecha Suit

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Darkform, May 1, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Mecha Suit a good Idea?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I got a idea for a Mecha Suit

only races that use small armor can wear it it gives better pluses than any other Tech armor and for graphics you use a Half-ogre in Plate mail and make it so they are considered large when trying to enter locations that only allow smaller races to enter. for schematic maybe Small Machined Plate + Automation. but if that hard to make then it should be pretty tough and give good pluses.

just a idea for those that make mods

I think the gunslinger Techie Dwarf I use 33+% of the time when playing Arcanum would like it.

edit: maybe wrong place to post hope mods can move if it is wrong place.
    edit: changed +s to pulses for clarity.

2. Oracle

Oracle Member

I like the idea.. maybe some tweaking would make it fit in the game actual pretty good. Don't expect anyone to pick up your idea though.

3. team a

team a New Member

4. Darkform

Darkform New Member

my shorthand +s or +S or Pluses

edit: edited first post for more clarity.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Firstly, I must confess that I was unaware that you could make small machined plate. Then again, I'm one who sticks to the medium to large variety size-wise.
    Secondly, I don't understand the half-ogre in platemail part. That just makes the whole idea confusing.
    Thirdly, I think that this item would unbalance the game a bit.
    Lastly, I think your name is too close to mine.

6. Darkform

Darkform New Member

ya I think all tech armor can be made in small med or large but only if the armor you use as a component in the schematic is the size of the armor you want to make.

about half-ogre graphics Sci-Fi Mech Suits are HUGE they are basicly big robots with a man inside operating them.

you haven't heard the pluses I'm willing to have a mod use the idea and balance it maybe like this:
    strength : +4 Suit enhanced
    constitution : +2 Suit enhanced
    dexterity : +1 Suit enhanced
    beauty : -1 others tend to think a Ogre is under the armor
    Intelligence : -4 this represents the difficulty in making things when in the suit (maybe even give the wearer the big hands tag that half-ogres have so they can't even try to use some items)
    willpower : -2 everything seems easier in the suit so you don't mentally fight as much in it
    charisma : +1 newfound respect for being a "big" man
    making a Dwarf or Gnome have stats move around as if they was a half-ogre instead + a little boost Halflings will have biggest boost but their Strength wouldn't reach starting half-ogre if they started with the Mech Suit.

thats just a example of a high moded but balanced Mech Suit. for mods I know this example would take 2 slots in a mes file on giving it pluses but some items have 2 like mind builder and muscle builder.

7. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Half-ogres don't use firearms, so this would not work for a gunslinger.

8. Darkform

Darkform New Member

good someone posted I looked at the graphics for Half-Ogre in Plate and it's not how I pitchered it so maybe still make it only small races could use and it looks like a mid sized person in Machined Plate, it is perfect (covers whole body) maybe can use firearms since graphics would be of mid sized person.

also it would weigh maybe 2,000 stone and maybe in inventory Graphics of Machined Plate but Half-Ogre size equipped inventory graphics of Mid sized Machined Plate if there is a difference.

about storyline maybe the industrial councle comishined it to be made since most of them would be Gnomes = need less bodyguards. sure all you have to do is feed and give a place to sleep to a Half-Ogre but add that up for a lifetime. probably only rich Gnomes would have them.

maybe after a few was made the gnomes had the makers killed to keep that tech secret. and 1 Gnome kept a Schematic in case his got broken.

9. team a

team a New Member

I'm not sure a gnome member of the Industrial Council would want to walk around in armor rather than a suit.

I don't think you could make the case for changing the art to half-ogre because it shows skin, and that would be difficult to explain, especially for this period. You could maybe make the case for changing the art to medium-sized for small-sized PCs, and script it so the game considers you human. No, the animations for medium-sized NPC in tech plate doesn't exactly move like a robot, but you could probably get away with it.

More importantly, though, what is the real difference in your mind between the Mecha Suit and Machined Plate? It seems like you are looking for some extra +ST, and Machined Plate does this (when it has been fixed).

Depending on your experience in modding, you might just make ONE suit and attach the scripts you want, because otherwise this would involve making too many prototypes, which not many people seem to be familiar with, and which would have to screw with the art for sure. I could give some advice on the scripting if this is what you decide to do.

This would be a lot easier if Arcanum wasn't 2d and if you didn't have to add in every frame of animation. If art was easier to animate, then this would definitely work much better, and you could make a suit with a small-sized PC operating it. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

10. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I'm thinking more Damage resistance AC and Str than fixed Machined Plate for small sized only that makes you look like mid sized Machine Plate. do to extra inches of armor maybe even a dex or speed + do to motor asisted movement.

ya I think modifying 1 Machined Plate and just giving it to a rich gnome would be good or placing it in a burnt out factory in the middle of nowhere Guarded by a few Arachnids and Automations maybe with a note that reads [you can tell this used to be a Schematic of a Mecha Suit but it is so damaged you can't make out how to make one.] .......... Meca Suit ......... ......... ........ ....... ......... ....... ........ ........ ......... powerfull .......... .......... ......... .......
    maybe even make it a quest where a Gnome wants you to get the Schematic for him and failing that would pay allot for the 1 suit you found.

11. team a

team a New Member

Of course, adding things to the game take actual work... want to make a small mod about it?

12. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I would like to add fix alot of things to Arcanum stock game I tryed a few years ago and added I think 1 thing to my personal game but my memory is bad and that doesn't go good with modding I do have lots of time tho I might could make a small multiplayer world no world map and put stuff in it and send that to a good moder so it's less work for them to add in thier mods. I have no idea how to send big things tho. I'm useing a expired version of winrar (it has a glitch where if I tell it to close when it askes me to buy it the buy it window closes but winrar stays open and lets me unpack what I wanted to unpack). but evrything I tryed to pack with it is still around 80-99% of it's normal unpacked size.

and I never scripted so I don't know how to add quest. might not be able to make it look mid sized. but I can add it to a Gnome or add a Gnome that doesn't talk that has it. I hex edited the hell out of GameBoy and I do remember a good amount of how to work with a hex editor. so I might can even make a proto of it so it can be in game without placeing a edited Machined Plate every time just add the proto #.

long story short I might can make Proto, Item Mes, Description Mes, and Effect Mes. not shure about the rest I wonder how I can change it to look mid sized on a small sized person tho. makeing Proto will take the most time of thoese I can do because I will be maping a armor Proto from scratch.

took me a year to be able to change a Pokemon to any Pokemon I wanted, give it any power I wanted it to have and give it any stats I wanted it to have all hex editing Gameboy.

13. team a

team a New Member

there is some info about art in the translated russian proto docs. you will probably want to start with machined plate, then just change the stats and worn art, and make scripts that give the bonuses you want

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Is it possible to use ANY skin when modifying armor like this? A big honking automaton would look even better and would avoid the skin issue. Or maybe it's possible to make the medium sized platemail sprite bigger in some way?

15. team a

team a New Member

I would definitely have to look into this more. I think NPC protos include size, but armor protos only include the kind of art they make the wearer look like. However, I'm not certain. It may be worth looking into. Is there anyone here more experienced in proto editing who can give an answer?

16. Darkform

Darkform New Member

about Industrial counsel not interested in it. well a Gnome from there could have a son that has a lust for adventure and he had it made so his son would be safe.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Or maybe, since gnomish families seem to have a mafia streak to them, he could be some kind of mobster. Just call him Leftie or Vinny or Scarface or something.

18. stylex

stylex Member

Is this thing gonna fail like all other cool suggestions?

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    Most likely, yes.

... unless you feel like doing some grunt work with WorldEd?

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Are you two talking about the mecha suit, or the proposed mod?

Our Host!