Mayby the only valid storyline for Arcanum 2.

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by chrisbeddoes, Oct 21, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Valid in the sense that it continues the story and it continues one of the endings of Arcanum 1.

Very simply in the first Arcanum the player has chosen to become a DARK GOD that rules with sacrifices and terror.

You are almost one of his victims.

You need to join him or overthrow him.

Sometime simple ideas are the best ideas.

chris.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yeah, that's a pretty good idea chris. That way you could have a number of different factions to join and fight for (like the Panarii who're against the Dark God etc)

I can't see how this one would be the only valid sequel scenario though. I've seen a whole lot of different suggestions posted here at this section, and many of them have been very good, but faultered to live up to your definition of validness. Besides, I rather think the scenario should be based upon what would be the general approach for most players - which is doing the good thing at the end.

However, another good approach would be the-much-debated idea to place the game in the Age of Legends. Then Troika wouldn't have to deal with the multiple ending problem at all. That, and the fact that much cool, new stuff could be added to such a game, such as the lost spells and Vendigroth tech.

3. Luck

Luck New Member

Arc2 just needs to be set in a different part of the World.

We all know Arcanum is based on the Victorian era, yes? Well, lets look at the Victorian ideas it deals with?

1. The Irish underclass (aka Half-Orcs).
    2. Slavery (aka Half-Ogres)
    3. The Jewish bankers (aka Gnomes)
    4. The Industrial Revolution (pretty much the whole game)
    5. Opium and China (Dernholm and Magic, or that's how I read the situation).

So what major influence on Victorian life is left to be examined through the glasses of Arcanum?

Imperialism and it's consequences.

Not wanting to give too much away, but that's the focus of my mod. Even if it weren't, I think it is the logical choice for a sequel to Arcanum.

Luck

4. Samwise

Samwise New Member

I like the idea of magic starting to become more and more rare, elves becoming hated even more for their love of magic (or maybe they leave Arcanum and go to...um...the elf-happy-land-place like in LOTR). Either way, magic is on the decline, technology on the rise. The player can still choose to be either tech or magic at the start of the game even though magic is despised, but anyway a short/medium distance into the game the player finds out that a group of mages is determined to bring magic back into the mainstream so to speak. I guess however this is accomplished doesn't really matter, but I really like the idea of some powerful mages gathering together and resurrecting all the great dragons of Arcanum (including Bellerogrim :) :thumbup: ), but now the dragons are under the mages control. Obviosly, this would lead to a huge clash between technology and magic, and would be really cool IMHO. :D

5. Derfud

Derfud New Member

I think that there should be many plot options according to your tech/magick alignment, and your good/evil alignment, and maybe a new alignment (political ideaology). That would make a total of 8 ways to carry out the main quest, giving a large factor for replayability. That is a good idea about the mages trying to get magick back into the mainstray. Say if you were a magick character, you could join them, and if you were good, you would take on quests to help them them in a righteous way, but if you were evil, help them in a cynical way. If your political alignment was far right, there might be clashing in between mages, one group wanting to keep mages being the elite rule over the populous once restored, another, on the left, wanting to have magickal education for all citizens to try to keep them equal. Perhaps also, if you were technologicaly aligned, you would be charged with stopping this rebellion of mages, and investigating thier actions, or taking part in raids with some kind of military. If you were good, you would want to take on the righteous quests, perhaps convincing a town to be magick, or tech (like with blackroot in arcanum), or if you were evil, you would try to destroy the mages in an evil way. For political alignment, on the right you would be siding with the industrious rich, trying to get them to keep thier power, or on the left, side with the laborers, and get help them get fair wages and such. But along the way of all of this there would be a much deeper interconnecting plot that your character would get sucked into, and end up having to solve. Maybe a 3rd party trying to get the Magickals, and techs to start a war, then while they are weak attempt to seize power.

6. Langolier

Langolier Member

I like that idea. Its pretty close to my own. It would be SO fun to walk into Elven villages and cut them.....err..uh..ehehe....... happily go about trying to balance the infulence of Tech and Magick.

7. orcaboy679

orcaboy679 New Member

Both Derfud and Samwise's ideas sound good, adding an extra degree or repalyablity to the already replayable game. If you could combine them, perhaps having one of the mage factions goals to be to reserect the dragons and sic them on the scientists, that might be a good series of quests for the PC, either for or against that plan. You might also add a technologis plot equally as grand, perhaps rebuilding a great Vendegronian Divice that will nulify or destroy magic? Seems to me that the more ideas we get, the better the storyline for this hoped for game will be! :D

8. Samwise

Samwise New Member

I love the idea of having a third party thats mostly (but not necessarily) neutral to tech/magic. The good alignment quest would be trying to get peace between tech and magic while evil will be trying to start a war between them, like what Derfud said at the end of his post.

9. Munkwunk

Munkwunk New Member

These are some great ideas, and I had considered a few of them, myself (specifically the varrying ways to play out the Magic vs. Neutral vs. Tech alignments). I especially liket he addition of a Political Alignment, considering the first Arcanum had a lot to do with politics as wel as being rebelious (e.g. the Thieve's Underground).

If an Arcanum 2 is ever made, this would certainly be the route I'd like to see it take.

10. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

I would like in Arcanum2 that from start, until 200 hours of gameplay you reach maximum level ( i would like that max level stay 50 or became 75 ) and than in other 300 hours of gameplay you play with maximum level and buy better items or get divine powers to face the mega strong enemy at end of the game.

It would be nice if you could fight in war for your nation against another one (on example cumbria versus tarant again with 1000 npc's on each side fighting 2 months or more --so you can choose your side and help them with your high skilled characterwith best items ). :lol:

What do you say about it? :)

11. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Keep on dreaming. ;)

12. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

Our Host!