Master of Masters (i.e. Master of all Skills)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by jfkoski, Aug 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

A couple years ago I went through to see if I could make master level in all skills by level 50. I found that I could and had 9 points left over. This month I went back to my notes and tried to duplicate it. I ended with (I think) 12 points left over so I put some in Magic to try to become a Master mage too. I still didn't do the best possible because I wasted a point or two not using the backstab dagger, etc. Last time I didn't think anyone would be interested since there was a 50+ level hack to keep you going.

I don't have my notes with me, but if you're interested, I'll post them. My characters were gnomes who were charlatans' apprentices.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I would too. I didn't think there were enough points to up your attributes and max out all of your skills at the same time. However, I never thought about it...

4. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

I always figured that the 5x16=80 points needed to get all skills to 5 would put an end to such attempts, but that was before I knew how many skills got +3 points from Velorien's Blessing. Melee, Dodge, Firearms, Pick Pocket and Persuade, right? That's 15 points that you don't have to spend. Hm. But that still leaves 65 points that you do have to spend, which is one point more than a level 50 character gets. Ok, so maybe there are some nice items that boost skills too? I don't remember finding many of those, but I guess that they're out there.

And I suppose that the temporary bonuses from the other gods would come in handy for reaching 18 in each needed attribute? If you really need to have 18 in the attributes - that's just something I read in these forums.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Also, don't forget that some races receive bonuses to skills and some skills don't need a full five points to be mastered.

Too tired to do the math though.

6. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Here’s how to become Master class at all skills by level 50. I’m going to assume that you:
    1) know where to get training for Apprentice, Expert and Master.
    2) know all about the blessings, including the offerings, locations and order.
    3) know the locations of sites so that you can “force” their appearance on your map.
    4) know or learn how magick / tech aptitude affects the bonuses from items.

I’ve listed the skills in most likely order for acquisition using the least points, with the number order I did it last time. I put the tech skills last since you probably want to wait so that you can benefit longer from the bonuses of magical items. However, I first went through with a point or two in pick locks and that worked OK. Jayna needs you to have T.A. >7 to be your follower and make stuff for you, but I got her later. After the first couple skills listed below, you probably must have the Blessing of Halycon and the Vivifier to continue, unless you go for a tech skill.

Note: you do not always have to have the STAT=18 and the skill=5 to train as Master!
    My convention below is STAT+2, skill++;
    Magic/Tech Aptitude bonus is shown as +1(+2)

Your character:
    Male Gnome: WP+2, ha++
    Charlatan’s Protege’: CH+6, ST-2, CN-2, bo-, do-, me-, thr-

1. Gambling (IQ=18, ga=4.5), 4 points in gambling, 2 Fated Rings ga++, (or Lucky Medallion ga++), Essence of Intelligence IQ+10. req: win a number of times (in a row?), but you don’t have to come out ahead in coin.

9. Bow (DX=15, bo=4.75), Blessing of Tere’l bo++++, Blessing of Makaal DX+1
    [or Blessing of Kai’tan bo++++]
    4 points in bow, [Not needed: Helmet of Yzar’s Cost bo+], DX bonuses +7, req: Bow of Ecclesiastes.

2. Heal (IQ=18, he=5), Blessing of Halycon he++++, 4 points in heal, Essence of Intelligence IQ+10, alignment = good? [Not needed: Ring of Dark Magicks IQ+1].

3. Haggle (WP=15, ha=4.5-4.75) Blessing of Halycon WP+2, Blessing of Kerlin ha++++, 3 points in haggle, 1 point in WP, Finger of Mannox WP+1, Vivifier WP+1, req: 10,000 coin, [Don’t need: Ring of Influence ha+, Lucky Medallion ha+]. Gnome WP+2, ha++

5. Throwing (DX=18, thr=4.75) 5 points in throwing, DX bonus +10, req: Azram’s Star. [Don’t need: Vivifier]

4. Spot Trap (PE=15, s.t.=4.75) Blessing of Halycon PE+2 s.t.++++, 4 points in spot trap, Vivifier PE+1, Staff of K’an T’au PE+1, Helmet of Yzar’s Cost PE+2(+3,+4), [Not needed: Eye Gear PE+2, Oiled Thieves Leather s.t.+, Trapmaker Spectacles PE+2, Liquid of Awareness PE+2]. Magic Part of Tarant M.A. +10!

6. Backstab (DX=15, ba=4.75) Blessing of Moorindal ba++++ ++++, 2 points backstab, Shadow Hand Dagger Ba++++ + [Don’t need: Creep Armor- doesn’t work], DX bonuses +7

8. Prowling (PE=15, pr=4.75) Blessing of Moorindal pr++++, Blessing of Halycon PE+2, 2 points in prowling, Small Robe of Chameleon pr+++(+), Ring of Concealment pr++, Ring of Silence #1 pr+(+), [Don’t need: ring of silence #2 pr+(+), Medallion of Silence – doesn’t work], PE bonuses see s.t. above.

10. Persuasion (CH=18, pe>4.5) Blessing of Velorian pe++++ ++++ ++++, 1 point in persuasion, Potion of Persuasion pe++, Ring of Influence pe++(+), CH+1(2)(3), Vivifier CH+1, Gypsy Blessing CH+1, Jewel of Hebe CH+1. Charlatan’s Apprentice CH+6, [Don’t need: Blessing of Kerlin pe++++, Blessing of Kai’tan pe ++++ ++++, Statue of Geshianna CH+1]

13. Pick Pocket (DX=16, p.p.=4.5) Blessing of Velorian DX+4 p.p.++++ ++++ ++++, 1 point in pick pocket, Light Fingered Gauntlets p.p.+, Small Oiled Thieves Leather p.p.+, DX bonuses +8 (not incl. gloves).

11. Melee (DX=17, me=4.75) Blessing of Velorian DX+4 me++++ ++++ ++++, 2 points in melee, DX bonuses +9.

12. Dodge (DX=17, do=4.75) Blessing of Velorian DX+4 do++++ ++++ ++++, 2 points in dodge, DX bonuses +9.

7. Pick Locks (DX=15, p.l.=4.75) Blessing of Bolo p.l. ++++, 4 points in pick locks, T.A.+22, DX bonuses +7.

14. Disarm Traps (PE=17/18, d.t.=4.75) Blessing of Halycon PE+2, 5 points in disarm traps T.A.+27, PE bonuses +10: Vendigroth Elixir PE+2, Vivifier PE+1, Helmet of Yzar’s Cost PE+2(+3)(+4) [or Eye Gear PE+2], Staff of K’an T’au PE+1, Liquid of Awareness PE+2. [Reward: Trapmaker Spectacles DX+2, PE+2]

15. Firearms (PE=17, fi=4.75) Blessing of Velorian f++++ ++++ ++++, 2 points in firearms T.A.+ 11, PE bonuses +9, see d.t. above. Take ship or teleport (Caladon-Ashbury) to keep Vendigroth Elixir working!
    [Don’t need: Trapmaker Spectacles PE+2].

16. Repair (IQ=18,re=5) 5 points in repair T.A. +27, Potion of Intelligence IQ+10, [Don’t need: Ring of Dark Magicks IQ+1].

DX (8) bonuses:
    T.A.17 T.A.12 T.A.6-1 M.A.5 M.A.10 M.A.20
    0..........0..........+1.......+1.......+2........+2 Gloves of Dexterity, +1(+2)
    +4......+2..........+2.......+1.......+2........0 Two Charged Rings, +2(+4)
    ?.........+1..........+1.......+1.......+1.......+2 Boots of the Dark Toll - causes fatigue +1(+2),
    +1 Staff of K’an Ta’u (location: Castle of S’nel N’fa), & PE+1,
    +1 Blessing of Makaal,
    +4 Scroll of Agility of Fire – temporary,
    +1 Vivifier (made from schematic and components found in Vendigroth), all STATS+1,
    +2 Energizer – temporary (only 1 at large? from Pollock), all left STATS+2,
    +2 Tonic of Increased Reflexes,
    +2 Trapmaker Spectacles (from Disarm Traps Master – too late?), & PE+2,
    +4 Blessing of Velorian
    [+1 Caladon Crusading Chain – too big].

PE(8) bonuses:
    +1 Staff of K’an T’au,
    +2(+3)(+4) Helmet of Yzar’s Cost, or
    +1 Eye Gear, or
    +2 Trapmaker Spectacles, & DX+2,
    +2 Blessing of Halycon,
    +1 Vivifier,
    +2 Liquid of Awareness,
    +2 Vendigrothian Elixir – temporary (only one), all right STATS+2.
    [+3 Goggled Helmet – can’t find it or Helmet of Vision to build it]

Followers who make items:
    Jayna(if your T.A. >7): Elixir of Persuasion pe++, Liquid of Awareness PE+2, Tonic of Increased Reflexes DX+2
    Magnus: Eye Gear PE+2
    Sebastion: Charged Ring DX+1(+2)

DARK HELM, M.A.+10?+20? but AL-?. This seems to be permanent and subject to multiple use. Use with caution. Location: big beastie in Ashbury castle, (or Gypsy trader?)
    CURSED Boots of Dark Toll (PE+): Caladon sewers?
    CURSED Helmet of Y'zar's Cost (DX+): Quarry?
    CURSED Staff....(alternates +3 ST,DX,CN wit -4 ST,DX,CN): Kree?

Someone once told me the name of your character (and other starting features?) is the randomizing factor for random chests. If so there might be a special name that could put one of these items in the Crash Site chest. Good Luck.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

8. Klaz

Klaz New Member

Great! I always wanted an Arcanum guide to be a jack of all trades, master of all :D

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Damn, I'm so going to try this shit out!

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Hell yeah!!

Now, would this work for any race, or have you only tested this on a gnome?

11. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Gnome gives you WP +2, and ha++. I don't think any of the other races gives you similar useful bonuses, like PE+2, although I think the dwarf gives you + to the four tech skills. I chose Gnome 'cause it saved me at least 2 if not three points.

I don't think any of the Master Quests are race restrictive, but I did read that you have to be somewhat good to be Master Healer. Although since Kerghan says I've been on the good path at alignment -60, who knows?

I'm sorry I didn't post this 2 years ago, when I first did it, but I think the forum I went to didn't like my email address - said I couldn't use a free one.

12. Klaz

Klaz New Member

Yep, you need a really high alignment to be a healer master.

13. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

PROWLING MASTER PROBLEM

I was concerned about your comment, so was on the lookout for problems in dialog files. I found there is a problem with the Prowling Master Quest. If you're stupid (IN-4) then there's a glitch that might even shut you down. Now why you would go on the Masters of Masters Quest with limited intelligence is beyond me, but if you ever play an ogre and want Prowling Master you'll want to see this:

01618Master_Prowler.dlg

{61}{You Albert Leek, da Mast'r?}{}{-4}{tr6 2, tr6 -2, gf????}{147}{}

I think "????" should be "2267 1" like the other lines. Oops, I don't have with me whether it should be "2267 1" or "2267 0" so I assume it's 1, which would make sense if someone told you he was the master.

Just get ahold of the .dlg file by dlg.zip or "undatting" Arcanum. Type the corrected line over the original, and save to folder Arcanum/data/dlg

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    The other problem you're facing is that half-ogres receive a prowling penalty and may not qualify for master training regardless of intelligence.

15. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

NAME BONUS

When I posted this and saw people were interested, I realized I hadn't played the name game. I'd heard that the name (+race +background?) affects the distribution of cool stuff in the magick chests. Now the chest that matters is the one at the crash site guarded by a kite shaman. You get the goods right from the start. Also, it's easiest to test. I test them without buying goods or allocating points just in case that matters. I tried one of my names with a dwarf and it didn't work.

I read someone say they got really good loot on the Isle of Thanatos - as if it matters that late. Hey, I got arcane helmets in the Void, whoopie! [Tip: I found 3 magick chests in the void (2 are identical), so take 3 identify scrolls with you.]

Now the question is, what do you want? I'd say stuff that can help you and Virgil right away, stuff that will last and/or stuff that you can sell for a lot of coins. Note: You can get 200+ gold fairly easy.
    I had a game with a good magic helmet that I kept for a looong time before finding a better one.
    A name that gives two magic items is good, three is amazing, and four is faaantastic. But of course, what you get matters more - I'd say small armor is the best.

Please don't laugh at my names, I just threw in pretentious ones - I don't know the formula for getting good stuff.
    "Douglas gurney" was an accident and an early best (last name not capitalized). Small Charmed Plate AC15(+4), and (grey) Charmed Gauntlets.
    Buster Hyman Magick Helm AC10(+6)DR12(+4), Ring of Protection AC(+10)DR12(+4)
    "Flavius Augustus III" Charmed Plate (for Virgil) and Large Charmed Leather (for Sogg).
    I think a variation of Flavius Augustus, Jr gave me 4 magic things including the charmed Helm AC10(+4)DR+12(+2), axe, chain & robes. Why didn't I write it down???
    "Tiberius Ogden Roch" was my latest find, you get Small Magick Plate AC15(+6)!

These are the few payoffs out of scores I tried. I also haven't run them through, so don't know what dungeon chests will reveal. So far I haven't seen any magical chakram's(?), but I think throwing skill cracks rocks!

I don't think I've ever seen a tech chest give you anything that exciting that wasn't put there (besides a great helm) so I've stopped looking.

PS: So far I haven't seen any cursed items in the first chest, so perhaps they were placed by the world editor. In that case the "beneficial" cursed items should be in the same place each game.

16. xoid

xoid New Member

Since the actual requirements for numerous masteries (not sure if this is just a remnant from when ranks were not a 4 per point investment deal... or who knows?) are 18... and the dwarven tech bonus is +2.... Getting the stats up to 18/20 in the tech skills... perhaps adding the same trick in using the boosts from the ugly stick background? +2 to all combat skills (background) and +2 to all tech skills (race). Saves you 8 points. Plus the DX bonus (background) saves you another 2 points. BE is a junk stat on such a character, but I'm fairly certain that this could be pulled off with what I'm hypothesising.

Also, I'm damn annoyed to find out years later that the names are the reason for getting good lewt. If only I could remember the name that got me *two* suits of Arcane Platemail and an Arcane Sword... that was godly luck. :(

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Also do not forget about charged rings. Two of them babies will grant you a neat +4 to DX. While it costs you two CP to learn the schematic that's still two points saved.

18. xoid

xoid New Member

Why not get Sebastian instead? While it may be an effort to wait to get him... if you make a high CH character you can potentially get through much of the game by letting your followers do pretty much everything. Since you have to spend points on CH to get Persuasion Master status anyway, it'd seem the way to go.

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    I stand corrected. :)

Another way to spend some points is to take Magnus for the Eye Gear (and did the Iron Clan gear provide any stat bonuses? A small character couuld save a helluvalot of points...)

20. xoid

xoid New Member

Iron Clan Armour has the same scripts attached to it as Machined Platemail. As such it should add some (unknown?) value to strength. The counters on it are empty, just like Machined Platemail, so the intended ST bonus would never be applied even if the script was correctly coded in the first place. You could of course force it to apply an effect directly, as opposed to making the script properly... which is pretty much what you're forced to do if you want to fix that particular bug.

Our Host!