Magic-Tech Fusion

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Chosen One, Apr 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

I was thinking that it would be a cool idea that if on Arcanum 2 there was the usual Magic schools and Tech Deciplines, but also there was a new path which the playter could take which involved the fusion of Magic and Technology.

I know what you're thinking, that magic and tech and opposed and it would be impossible to fuse the 2 together but imagine this:

The Gnomes have gone one step further and secretly managed to cross breed Elvs with Dwarvs, thus creating a new race.This allows new story possabilities for example, Both the Elvs and the Dwavs are furious about this and make war on the gnomes and their tech-magic hybrid race.

So now when you start a new game you can pick this new race to play as which can learn their own unique ways of magic-tech fusion:

Tech Enchantments- The ability to magically enchant technological weapons to give them more power/skills etc, e.g. Enchanting a gun with Temporal magic gives the weapon increased speed or random stasis.

Magitech transport- By combining Machined War boots and a scroll of Teleportation, you can have damage resistant footwear with the ability to teleport you aropund the battle field!

These are just a few ideas. Add to them or comment on them if you want....... :D

2. Shunt

Shunt New Member

Greetings fellow Arcanum players! :grin:
    Pozdrowienia rodacy! - for the native people :wink:

Been watching the forum actually quite a long time, and i finnaly decide to pop out. Since i mostly like to watch the Suggestion forum, i`ll start off from here.

The whole idea your posting here actually really spoils the game concept. Are we still having the early industrial age, or is it the 21st century? :???: No genetic engineering, no strange racial mutations(imagine a thin runt, with a beard and elven ears - now that sucks! :eek: ).
    And right now it`s impossible to enchant technology with magic(you'd have to give some new isolation material or something) not to mention the game balance, and the problem with the aligment.
    Oh yeah, i might comment this but for the first post i`ll give you a break. :p

3. The Chosen One

Try and keep a slight open mind at the least. The idea may spoil the game concept for Arcanum but Arcanum 2 is a different story. How can I possibley spoil the concept of a game that doesn't exist? Arcanum 2 does NOT have to be completeley identical to Arcanum in every single way. I for one wouldn't like to see the same old Magic Vs Technology like the way Arcanum shows it. If I did then I'd go and play that. Ofcourse I want similarities but I also want new origonal ideas which is precisley why I started this thread.

I was thinking it should be in the past since there are already so many futuristic games.

Who said anything about genetic engineering or thin runts with beards and elven ears? I certainly didn't. You are percieving the idea in totally the wrong way. Why don't you re-read then think about what your actually posting and maybe try and be a little bit more optimistic. :)
    Now what I actually said was that their could have been some sort of cross breeding which isn't a far out idea at all seen as the Game Designers actually used it them selvs (or haven't you done that sub quest? Most people have).

Now Im sorry if this seems insulting but Im really starting to think you're a narrow minded guy. This is ARCANUM 2 !!!
    200 years ago most people thought it was impossible for humans to fly but now we can. In the same way the people of Arcanum can make advancements.

Why would the game be unbalanced? Whats wrong with a 3 way alignment meter with fusion inclusive?

Welcome to The House of Lords, my untrained friend :)

4. Shunt

Shunt New Member

Hmmm i guess your right on most of it, but it's just my point of view.
    Actually we both don't know how the game would look like so I'll try to be more objective. :)
    Didn`t get to the quest with the experiment to breed half-ogres, so I may have thought wrong of it. Still I can't imagine how would that Elfling look like. :D
    Always thought that Arcanum 2 would still have the main motive Technologoy vs Magick and you just can`t connect those two.
    Sorry for my simple-mindness. :) I'll try to work on it. :grin:

5. backstabber

backstabber New Member

its not genetic mutations...
    its just that they put these 2 in a locked room and they u-noe-wat

6. The Chosen One

Shunt:
    And your entitled to you opinion but what got to me the fact that you dismissed my idea stright away without really thinking about it. :p Its exactly why this forum exists that we don't know what Arcanum 2 is like. If we did then there wouldn't be much point in posting ideas as to what it should or could be like.

Heh, me neither. But they could make it look cool, they would have to or it would put people off playing as one.

There is nothing wrong with thinking like that. I simpily wanted to put forth a new and origonal suggestion. :D

7. Langolier

Langolier Member

I like the idea of combining magick and technology....... ofcourse I think that technology (in Arcanum at least) will develope teleportation on its own. My idea for tech/magick weapon is this : The Justice Revolver. Speed 14 D= to targets Evil Alignment/15-25(regular Damage) FT-15-20.

8. backstabber

backstabber New Member

9. Langolier

Langolier Member

Faw! Lame?! Imagine how well you could purge the land of all those evil doers. It would do 75 Damage to Min'Gorad. Its damage would be whatever the target's evil allignment was. It would only do regular damage to anyone with a neutral or good aligngment. Possibly the damage it did would also be aftected by the users alignment, maybe it wouldnt work for an evil person, and would have bonuses for a good person.

10. cadaver

cadaver New Member

why should a mixture between a dwarf and elf get the advantige of having magic and the advantige of having good technologie?

maybe a good idea for an arcanum2 sidequest, the gnomes has come 1 step further with crossbreeding, they have crossbreeded a dwarf and elf but has stopped that cause the 'creature' had the dwarven penalty for magic and the elven disadvantige for learning teck. (sierra may work this idea out, if they want).

and yes a weapon which damage is dependent on the users and the receivers allignment is in my oppinion a good idea

11. xento

xento New Member

Actually, Troika would have to work on it. The game was PUBLISHED by Sierra, but made by Troika. That's why you only hear about Sierra for the most part. :D

12. cadaver

cadaver New Member

K then Troika may work it out. but you you hear more about sierra then troika, while troika schould get the credits actually

13. xento

xento New Member

Yes, but Sierra is not only the publisher, but it is also much bigger, has been around longer, and has the most money.

Therefore, they can make themselves look as good as they want.

14. backstabber

backstabber New Member

and what abt those goodie-2-shoes???
    my idea will be THE EQUALIZER. tho its not very original.
    do 0 damage to 0 alignment guys.
    100 damage to -100 alignment guys.
    100 damage to 100 alighment guys.

15. Langolier

Langolier Member

"Thats quite Lame I think" :p
    Hmmm, I like the name of my weapon better, the "Justice Revolver". Ofcourse, there should be a weapon that has the opposite effect and is used to "cough" mm..m...murder those who are good at heart.

16. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

i really hate the idea of magick tech fusion, it just ruins the whole point. its an industrial revolution in a world of magick, how bout the idea of a dominant theme emerging for example magick ovverriding tech (or vice versa) and a story based on a comeback of tech (or magick).

17. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

another idea, tech makeing defence against magick, being able to stand up to it without its quality diminishing, and magick making magickal projectile weapons to equal guns, or simply allout wars

18. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Verminator, don't do what you have just did. You gravedug a topic that hasn't been posted in for a month, and then you double posted. Don't do either of those things, lest you risk my wrath.

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    ... besides, the dwarf/elf crossbreed already exists in the D&D universe (which Arcanum is more or less based upon, after all). They're called dwelves.

Gnomes experimenting to bring forth the dwelf race into Arcanum, and having the obvious conflicts around that as the main story - could be pretty good actually.

But then - how do dwarves and elves really breed? They're the perfect opposite of each other. Now you made me imagine scenes were small bearded runts and short, slim flower faeries try to intercourse, only to find themselves being repelled away from each other with a loud "KABANG" due to the vast difference in aptitude...

I shouldn't be at forums this late... it quite obviously ain't healthy :)

20. Ferret

Ferret New Member

And of course, you could only breed male Dwarves. Imagine having a short, thin bearded Elf lady! :lol:

If the game is to be Arcanum 2 then it has to be based upon Arcanum 1. If it's not then it's not Arcanum 2. Simple. This also means that it has to incorporate the Arcanum universes' laws. This includes the magick/tech oposition. If this was to change then you're changing the entire basis of the Arcanum universe and thus it would no longer be an Arcanum game - just a deviation on the theme of Arcanum.

Also, at least some of you must remember reading the papers in Vendigroth! They had immense technological skill and even they could not get technology and magick to work together, at the penalty of death - just like the newpaper in Tarant mentioned the demon gun that also killed it's creator. Magick and technology won't fuse.

However, even though the universes' rules can't be changed, they can be circumvented. I think a magick and tech fusion would be a great thing to do, especially since those people going for neutral alignment can't make the best of either magick or technology.

I think that a new mineral should be discovered by the dwarves. Like Mythril, which is used by the magickal community to create weapons that conduct magickal energy, it would conduct magick. However, it would be a magickal super-conductor.

This would allow basic technological items to be made that could contain or utilise low level magicks. Nothing too powerful on either tech or magick, or the whole thing would destroy itself due to the nature of magick and tech opposition, but if they were simple and low level enough then they could conduct well enough together to work.

This would mean that strongly aligned players couldn't make or use them, at the risk of being killed or hurt by the weapon at random intervals (adds to the fun!) but neutral characters could make them and use them effectively.

Just think, a lowly fine revolver isn't much of a weapon to a technologist and stone throw isn't much of a spell to a mage, but if you have a Revolver of Catapulting that can be wielded as a gun, but shoots high-velocity magickal boulders at your enemies then you have the potential of a great weapon that is highly effective against both strongly aligned technologists and strongly aligned mages and still serves as a decent weapon against neutral folk.

Our Host!