Let's revive Arcanum 3! Fuxin' serious!

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Frigo, Apr 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I have been thinking about a possible continuation of Arcanum in a steampunk+fantasy+cyberpunk setting.

The story:

The surprisingly fast advancement of technology caused a nifty little nuclear war that cleansed the vast majority of humanity. [insert any nuclear world war story here] Some time has passed and people are already at the edge of the industrial revolution. Magick people warns them that it will lead to another world burn, but everybody laughs at their wasted efforts. Mages are more powerful here, but don't want to begin war with anybody... Except the dark elves, who are believed to be killed by a rebellion. In reality, they have formed a super-hyper ultra-secret sect who spend all of their time and resources to create a powerful spell that kills all technological characters (!) but leaves mages unharmed. This, of course, needs VERY much time, resources, lots of dark magic, sacrifices, victims, abductions, and all of these won't go unnoticed, so entire towns are needed to disappear :) Also, there are some disturbing news of an ancient, technologically superior city [how original], whose location remains unknown [for some time], but there are already artifacts found from it [not at the original place, of course]. A peasant at a farm in the middle of nowhere found them while shoveling the crap. They must kill him, by any means.

You have guessed right, you are this peasant. They have killed your family, you must get at least revenge!

[I already have some spoilers but I won't share them with you :p]

I will use a new isometric rpg engine if I don't find a suitable [open source] one. I will use open content gfx (tiles, models, textures) and sfx. Music is an open question. The engine and the main game will be open source, it has positive effects on storytelling and the size of the game world too.

Tech vs Magick:
    The "steampunk" style technology will be inferior to magick used by most maniac evil mage, but the tech found at the city will kick some major magick ass. [It will be a little above magick].
    The higher part of the technological disciplines won't be available before you reach the techiecity. [In a similar fashion, we could cut the magic too e.g. we get into the dark elf library]

2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Sounds like a good basis for Fallout 3! Maybe have Mages being the new threat in town, something caused by the FEV virus and radiation?

But mix in the schematics and charecter development of Arcanum, and possibly explain the appearance of Elves and Dwarves as mutations to the original human stock. Even have magick schematics detailing the creation of vorpal swords and the like.

Our Host!