It's been a while

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, May 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Since I could hold my head up high.

What's new and exciting for everyone here that I couldn't glean from Zuckerberg's people farm?

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I continue to hold out against the inevitable truth that social networks will kill the forum format sooner or later.

3. werozzi

werozzi Member

Either becoming a social network or dying, i go for dying.

4. Grossenschwamm

Re:

Probably. But at least when that happens, people saying stupid shit on the internet will be everyone's business rather than just the laughter fuel on a specialized forum.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Re:

'sup Gross. I have nothing specific to say to you but I wanted to let you know I said "hi." If we were meeting IRL I would give you that man head nod with upwards eyebrows version of 'sup and then buy you a beer.

I'm in the same boat with you. My lack of a Facebook account seems less consequential with each passing year though.

Hopefully the new hip thing won't be quite as pervasive as Facebook is/was.

There's a certain charm to this format though. Perhaps it's nostalgia, or perhaps it might be that the average age of a forumite is higher than other places on the internet so you deal with less bullshit. This is a statistic I just made up.

6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The appeal of forums is more likely to be that the accounts aren't linked up with a social network in any way, so we're free to post whatever we like without our parents reading any of it and cutting off our inheritance. Right guys?

Of course, the downside is that since all accounts here are anonymous, it leads to all kinds of shenanigans with puppet accounts and accusations thereof, but hey, it's all part of the charm.

7. werozzi

werozzi Member

We're free of knowing what new stupidity just made our fellow humans, that is THE main advantage.

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Because you're a cold-hearted robot incapable of liking anything?

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Introverted, not robotic and in either case my Like function should still operate.

11. No.9

No.9 New Member

:cough: :cough:

12. Grossenschwamm

This just in:

The online personality known as Smuel dreams of androids with long, flowing hair that seek to rub out an easy one with his body.

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    How dare you suggest that I have a personality!

14. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I suggest that you should construct an online personality if you want a custom avatar.

Perhaps a picture of a Monty Python 'English Gentleman' with the title, "Vocative Pronoun".

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I believe that was my suggestion for your avatar, you provocative noun.

16. Grossenschwamm

I'd be tempted to slap a Joker avatar from The Dark Knight on you, considering how often you talk about your scars without being provoked.

17. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

The only reason I started frequenting FB is that people from my college have set up a group for the year I'm attending, and insist on posting important information there. It aggravates me to no end when looking up exam dates exposes me to all this social media circus.

Worse yet, my curiosity made me look up some of the members, only to find out that most of these idiots are as stupid in real life as they are in class, which was something I had only suspected during my previous encounters with higher education. It was easier that way. Now that all doubt is lost, watching these people become engineers is going to be a dreadful experience.

tl;dr
    I hate everything about social media.

18. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Re:

Classic FB stalking.

No I know the feeling, I've forgone joining my Chemistry department's group for the same reasons as you dislike yours - fortunately I can find out important information elsewhere so it's not pretty much mandatory that I'm a member. I guess I do lose out insofar that there's occasionally some bit of information that isn't really emphasised well through the official means yet is actually quite significant, but it's a small price to pay to avoid hearing the chattering of people who I don't like the majority of. Though I could just join and sift through to find worthwhile posts, the annoyance of reading through loads of bullshit always deters me.

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Re: Re:

Nostalgia and the possibility of direction, I'd say. You design forums around ideas and themes whereas Facebook is more casual. Of course, the GD hasn't discussed Arcanum in a decade, but at least we are all here because of a common interest, where Facebook is all about having had common whereabouts at some point in life.

20. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

We've all been to Shrouded Hills. Bam!

Our Host!