Issue: Who do we want in HoL?

Discussion in 'CyberNations Archive' started by DarkUnderlord, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

The House of Lords should be...

1. Expanding. Let's grow and see how big we can get.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Selective. Only those who pass our tests shall be granted entry.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Closed. Only people who are currently members of Terra-Arcanum should be allowed to join.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Extremely Closed. Only the people who have proved themselves useful to the site (by being on the sta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

If we're going to create a HoL alliance, who do we want in it? Is it just going to be a select club for the people who are already members of this forum or do we want to expand it to include anyone who wants to join? If so, what's our application process?

Part of this are how strong our desires for a Senate Seat are. I agree with Vorak that obtaining a Senate Seat is an impossible task. We'd need several hundred people in the alliance to accomplish that and even then, they'd all have to be the same colour. But then again, there's no harm in having long term goals...

My personal opinion is that, as we're going to establish our own stand-alone forums, we should attempt to be as big as we can. Otherwise we may as well stay here.

Take the poll!

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Expanding, I've just been through 6 months of small exclusive alliances and I'm sick of it, theres never enough people to help out when you need it.

That being said, I believe all of us founders should recieve certain benefits since we are the true HoL faithful.

3. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

Very true. I was wondering, when you dissolve the GC would it be an idea to allow the likes of JC, Heinrich and even Eagle Boy and a few others to join straight away. or make out we created a new alliance and allow them a membership if you get what I am saying?

4. Vorak

If and its a big if we could get JC I'd be happy, since we'd have a guy who makes damned good laws and enjoys doing it.

But its more likely that he'll just try and start the GC again.

5. Telcontar

So I am taking it that he will not like to be told what to do in other words.

6. Vorak

I'm trying to convice him that the idea of a grey alliance is a lost cause, but he won't accept it.

7. DarkUnderlord

With regards to disbanding the GC, how do you plan to approach that publicly? If I'm going to make an out of the blue post establishing the House of Lords on the CN forums, will you follow that up with one announcing the demise of the GC and that it has split into the USS and HoL?

8. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I think we should at least keep this forum as a secret planning place (especially if Spuddy doesn't join).

And I added an option to the poll because I thought the others kind of sucked.

9. DarkUnderlord

10. Telcontar

You, DU and DE planning on being the only members of the forum mathboy :lol:

11. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

:cry:
    But I will actually, though I hope there's not the GC style of application where I would have to basically sit for a university exam to be accepted. If you'll have me, I'm in. In fact, I'll go retrieve my nation right now.

12. DarkUnderlord

13. Vorak

I'm on the staff as well you know (Well I'm just barely holding onto a bottom rung anyway).

If we keep this little subforum after the official alliance forums are established we should make it a closed group with the only new members being people who already had a HoL account before December 2006 or some early date like that (So hopefully Blinky , Rosie and a few others will join).

We should also reename it the 'HoL Honoured Members Lounge' or something like that so if someone shows up here it doesn't look like we have a secret section.

14. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Done. Damn, feels good to be home...

15. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I voted for selective, but I do want the alliance to grow. It's just that taking absolutely anyone who wishes to join can end in us feeding parasites and/or harboring known rogues. I'm not necessarily for a GC-style admission test, but I think we should have something to deter riff-raff from getting in. Or at least check if they're not wanted criminals...

16. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

17. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I haven't voted yet because I was trying to come up with a statement mirroring how I feel, but now I don't have to because Silvara already wrote it perfectly.

Yes to growth, and yes to the basic/normal precautions against rogues, leeches and traitors.

EDIT: that translated into an Expanding vote, because come to think of it I doubt it was meant as an open door policy. (No other sane alliance just lets anyone in.)

18. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I think all new members should atleast be approved by ethier the President and the PM or some sort of "Recruitment Minister". Someone of "us" that can say no to new members.

19. Vorak

Well that could work in the beginning, but if we want to grow it becomes a problem, the biggest the GC ever got was about 50 members and that took a long time to achieve.

Whereas simply requiring members to swear an oath to submit to our authority and then bomb them into the ground if they don't is pretty easy.

Screening will probably be required for nations that are stronger than us, since they could cause problems.

20. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Well, those who want to get a high up place in the alliance should swear some kind of oath. But if you want to join just because you want tom be in a alliance, then there should be no such thing as trial or similar.

Our Host!