I'm back :D - Need a place to stack items.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Cooto3s, Sep 26, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Naomi Novik wrote the 'His Majesty's Dragon' series, which are absolutely brilliant treat dragons as genuine personalities. Anne McCaffrey used to, but her work has definitely gone downhill over the last few years. And let's not even mention all the retconning since her son started writing them too... *groan*

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I've tried reading the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I read it through twice and neither time was it interesting or entertaining to me. I just don't see the appeal. I preferred Goodkind over Jordan, though many think Goodkind is a hypocrite given the way the story progresses (I'm not one of those people).

I have the entire works of Lovecraft and Poe.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

The Wheel of Time bites the big one. Repeatedly. Seriously, it's taken him about twelve books to do what most authors can do in two, and what's more their characters would be far more interesting and realistic.

Jaded and bitter, that's me.

4. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    hmph.
    I don't see David Eddings on that list.
    or
    H. Beam Piper (the Fuzzy set).
    Taneth Lee
    Joel Rosenberg (Guardians of the Flame)
    Andre Norton
    Barbara Hambly ((The Darwath Trilogy Series, the Dark actually creeped me out at first)

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

If you haven't got it already, add Golden Dream: A Fuzzy Odyssey by Ardath Mayhar to your Little Fuzzy collection.
    It's the story of the Fuzzies told from their point of view. Mayhar did a fantastic job of it.

6. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Holy crap! You have read the Wheel of Time twice without even liking it? Or do you mean you have read some of it?

I tried it twice as well and while I liked the first book very much, it went downhill rapidly. After about 2000 pages I got fed up with all those power-crazed, manipulating bitches. :)

Too many of them and to many pages wasted on them. And simultaneously not enough Rand Al'Thor, who is supposed to be the protagonist.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

The later books only get worse. I attribute my progress through the first five books to a massive asthma attack and a week-long stay in the hospital with nothing to do but read and watch daytime TV. My dad took my library card, and grabbed the first fantasy-type series he could find.

I swear, it's so dull my brain has edited it out completely. All I remember is 'you're a male using this magic so you're gonna die' and 'OMFG I'm a werewolf pity me' angsting that was done with greater alacracy and talent in the Chronicles of the Raven.

Fuck it! Now I have to go find my copy of Elfsorrow! AGH!

8. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant to say I read Eye of the World twice. For some reason I thought the first book was called Wheel of Time and honestly couldn't be arsed to go my bookshelves and double check.

9. malango

malango New Member

It's funny i've always used the chest in the room you get in blackroot, it always feels like mine because I own the room. Pity you can't own a house in arcanum.

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

You can buy the Bates Mansion if Bates sooooo unfortunately passed away.

11. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Speaking of which...
    Where does he run of and hide at, if he gets disgraces before you can kill him?
    I tried the forum search, but failed miserably.

12. malango

malango New Member

Man I really need to play evil. I've had Arcanum since 2001 and never played evil or as a female............ or has a pure blood elf (i played half elf a few times), so maybe I should play an evil femal elf.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

14. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Thanks rroyo.
    Damn. I wanted to track him down and feed him to the starving dwarves in the Abyss.

Our Host!