I moved this here. It was about the 3.2 GB limitation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiwi, May 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

I was reading an old thread, and this place seems morbidly threatened by old threads, so I'm cloaking it within a new message here:

The way I recall reading that older Windows versions before 64-bit worked, they have addressing space problems. This can be exacerbated (hmm? How should I have spelled that? -- fixed -- ) by video cards with large amounts of RAM on them. Windows uses up the available addresses it has for accessing the RAM and you are wasting your money buying more than the 3 GBs if you don't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Interestingly, OCZ released matched pairs of 1.5 GB DIMMs a couple of years back, when RAM cost somewhat more, and hardly anyone bought them. I kinda think that they dropped that particular dual channel pair from their line within a few months of release.

P. S. After writing this in the particular forum it landed in, I can't be sure how I ended up here, so I've moved it from "Arcanum Discussion", to "General Discussion", since even if the original thread I'd been reading was misplaced, I'd just as soon get started here doing things the right way, before I try to buck the system!

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

So what exactly are you asking for?

3. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I believe he just answers a question asked. But instead of taking his shovel and grave dig, he starts a new thread about it in another section.

4. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

So... he escapes punishment on a legality?

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Well, yes though I find this thread pointless.

Now to further clear up the matter at hand: The 32bit limitation is 4GB (2^32) worth of address spaces, so you can have quite a bit more than 3.0GB of RAM. Though the RAM on your video card will take up address spaces, and so will most every other part you have in your computer. What I'm getting at is that there is no 3.2GB limit on how much RAM a 32bit system can support. The limit is 4GB, but you have to account for all the other parts in your PC as well.

Should you have two video cards each at 768MB video memory, you can't have more than 2.5GB of RAM, or not even that much as other parts will take up address spaces.

I'm going to stop writing now as I feel I'm repeating myself.

Our Host!