I could use a little input

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by rroyo, Mar 10, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

A while back, during the Alphabetical List of Locations in Arcanum thread;
    http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13171; I asked a question about that little island off the south-west coast of Despair.

Well, I'm happy to report that it does exist on the main map and landscaped just like the island of Despair, no buildings or random encounters though, and best of all, you can teleport to and from it.
    I took the liberty of naming the place Veloren Island.

I'm planning to use it as a way to return to Despair via a "Seaworthy Dingy" that takes you to the south-west coast of Despair and thus avoid the hassle of rescripting the captains for a return to Arcanum.

It's the setup to get you to go to Veloren in the first place that I'm a bit weak on. Here's three ideas that I know my skills are up to:

Shipwreck Isle: You accept a quest to go to an island where the swirling currents around Despair wash all the wrecks and debris in search of a priceless object or desperately needed item. Once there you'll find the dingy.

Psycho Colony: Suggested by Sofokl - Here's where the absolute worst of the worst are dumped. You have to sneak in and rescue one or more innocent people who were shipwrecked there or find that one S.O.B. who'd rather join you than kill you. This will mean extending the no-teleport zone or creating a new one, but that looks to be straight-forward enough. The dinghy came from the wrecked ship.

The Administrative Garrison: Almost a penal colony by itself, a small garrison acts as a tranfer station for the condemned prisoners on their way to Despair while a couple ships based from there patrol the coastline of the penal island to prevent escapes. Your mission is to either free one of the prisoners on Despair or kill him. Having only an unarmed merchant vessel, your best hope of returning to Despair will be in something small and easily overlooked, like the Commander's private dinghy...

I'll take the most popular idea and go with it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I like the Psycho Colony idea. Adding a lunatic to the party sounds fun, and it actually leads to a bit of closure as to where the loonies go, considering there aren't any on the Isle of Despair.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I like the Administrative Garrison idea.

4. SirGarrickStout

SirGarrickStout New Member

A bit too late for suggestions, but how about a methereology center??

At the tarantian, there is always the metheorological advice, but u never get to find it....

Anyway, from the choices that u exposed, I pick asylum. Make him a pyromaniac. >8D

5. Grossenschwamm

Well...the meteorological advice is more aesthetic than anything else, and it's pretty sparse in that sense. The only weather variation you can get in Arcanum is by travelling somewhere else, but I've never seen rain or snow in that game that was falling from the sky.

6. SirGarrickStout

Yeah, their work must be pretty cool.

"it´s not gonna rain or snow, ever."

7. Vorak

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'd hand in 366 weather forecasts per annum (just in case it happens to be a leap year) and divide my time between Madam Lil's and throwing kids at he Baleful Hound in the mage shop.

9. SirGarrickStout

10. Grossenschwamm

Not necessarily. I've met several citizens who were indeed good, but not at all useful, i.e. Swyft, Payne.

11. SirGarrickStout

Vry well spoken, hungry deamon, but that creates the necessity of clarification on such quote.

In fact, it is stated that the USEFUL citizen is a good one, and not the oposite. In fact, "good" citizens tent to be quite whinny and complacent, usually just waiting for somebody to break into their houses with no apparent reason so they can share with their new strange companion the problems of their life, problem wich, strangely will be put to end, also withou apparent reason. We, cumbriam guards, have permission to terminate those on sight. Think on them as emos.

12. Grossenschwamm

Yes, the emos. Well, you'll find that I'm quite acquiescent when it comes to beating emos. And zombies...though I think if you're guarding the capitol of Cumbria, there would be nary a zombie in sight.

13. SirGarrickStout

Yes, I take my job seriously.

Well, there are those ruins at northwest but I hate to travel on armor.... I think I should get a squire.... :)

(man i totally need to begin writing the Sir Garrick adventures fanfic :lol: )

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    One day Sir Garrick Stout was out walking he's very strong then there came a big dragon it was 200 feet tall then Sir Garrick Stout cut it's head off he was the best swordsman in all of the world Arcanum the end.

15. SirGarrickStout

Woo, if that were a film, it would give me an oscar. :D

(or DE´s, since it was him who wrote it 8) )

No, of COURSE I know that Garrick is only a reasonably dumb and arrogant knight, and he will still be like that on the fic. It won´t be a minless killing story, it will have a plot, and I will TRY to make it a good one. It will be a humorous fic, but it will be VERY hard to use humor, since my original language is not english..... So just bear with me and pretend that what i write is funny, ok? Something like "oooh, this is funny. *yawn*".

16. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Haha, this is funny :lol:

*yawn*

17. SirGarrickStout

18. Vorak

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    If what we say can be interpreted in two ways, one which makes you sad and miserable and one which makes you happy, we meant the first one.

20. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

So, why do we not like this guy anyway?

Our Host!