Howdy from forum newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by papa_dog_1999, Aug 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Taking my lead from magikot, I just thought I’d crawl out of lurk mode to introduce myself and pay my respects to the HoL community at large.

I played Arcanum a while back. Sierra still had the “Official” site up, but weren’t really serious about supporting it. I was an active member of an Arcanum forum. Unfortunately I don’t remember exactly how long ago or even which forum. Probably the one Sierra had, but I’m not sure. About the only thing I can remember about the forum was a member that had a real love for the Miata.

After having a series of computer issues, Arcanum got shelved. Several years later, I started to get that ol’ technology vs. magic itch. I’m really enjoying it all over again. Especially now that the awe-inspiring Drog Black Tooth has the UAP alive and breathing.

I’ve always felt Arcanum had one of the best concepts and designs for a PC RPG I’d ever come across. I still do. As I’m sure it is with all you folks, I lament the loss of Troika and any reasonable hope of an official Arcanum franchise. I had heard that what did Arcanum in was file sharing. Everybody wanted it. Not enough of them actually paid for it. I’m not sure how accurate that really is.

I didn’t mean to go on so much about Arcanum. Unfortunately, it’s my only experience with Troika games.

Anyway, enough blather. Back to my original intent… :D

Hello all. I’ll be in the area a while.

2. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Welcome to the posting side of the forums!

I to was, and still am very inspired by Arcanum. I have even adopted the magic vs tech fictional theory into my own fiction's canon, but tweaked it up a bit.

My best advice on this forum would to be careful. Never let the concentration of the thread lie on you. If you become the focus of a heated thread, don't post for a while and let someone else.

Basically, don't be honourable; don't do what I am doing; be a shadow dancer.

Best of luck.

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Because "honorable" is certainly the word I would use to describe you GarmGarf. We're all impressed with your over-developed sense of honor. That's why we all like you so well.

4. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

It's the duty of poets: to say what one feels and not what one ought to.

Anyways, so, papa_dog, how did you come up with your screen name?

5. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Papa Dog is what the Missus calls me. Sometime in 1999 I tried to use it as a user/screen name somewhere. It was already taken, but was given papa_dog_1999 as an alterative. I took it and ran.

6. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Sure, and you're such a self righteous dickhole yourself. Hope you have a size 17 foot to stick in that size 16 mouth of yours.

7. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Ok, "honorable" may have been a condescending term to use. What I meant was for papa_dog_1999 to not give people on this forum material which can be used against him; to not walk in the light for all to see.

Fair enough?

So anyways, papa_dog, do you prefer your character to be tech based or magic based?

8. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Garfield, don't give people advice.

papa, the only advice you need is this;

Don't be a dickweed.

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, try not to follow Garm's example.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Perhaps by doing something like making a complete ass out of yourself on a forum, then calling yourself honorable in front of a newbie? Welcome Papa Dog, and consider yourself informed that we'ren't nice, we do not play nice, and we love cake. Like Rum cake. I just made one. *walks off to eat a slice, irl*

12. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Where exactly did I make an ass out of myself?

I apologize, papa_dog_1999. I understand that this may look as if I am hijacking your thread, but I don't compose other forumers' posts. :/

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

You may not compose our posts, but you deliberately post flame bait that you know we can't help but bite at. It's like throwing a bloody appendage into a lake of piranha.

Welcome papa. Glad I inspired you to introduce yourself. Listen to everything Darkfool wrote in his last post especially the part about not playing nice and cake. Cake is always good to appease people with. 'Course I'd just take the rum and leave the cake.

14. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Okay. Got it.
    --No dickweedness.....check
    --No playing nice....check
    --Bloody Appendages...check
    --Rum, Cake and RumCake...check
    --Listen to DarkFool....check
    --Dive for cover whenever GarmGarf posts...check :)

BTW GarmGarf, I have no problems with hijacked threads. 1) they seem to happen around here on a regular basis. 2) I've taken part in a few in my time.

mmmm...rummy appendages...
    *coughs*
    err, I mean, mmmm blood cake...
    Oh Hell! *runs off*

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You really want to know what your problem is? Your problem is evident through your actions. You quote every post even remotely detracting you and make some sort of rebuttal. You cannot simply let things be, a senible person would have laid low and let shit die down. You slowly become part of an established online community like this, you don't come in yelling and being a douchebag and expect to welcomed with open arms.

Your over-developed posting habits are annoying and best. Your mere presence hijacks threads (which, granted, isn't much of an accomplishment around here), and your back-handed sucking up is getting old fast.

You're like the kid who inserts himself into a social group and tries really hard to be their friend, but ends up not fitting in because he's trying too hard. Meanwhile, we all point and laugh at you.

Anyway, welcome papa_dog, take lessons from Magikot and not this fool and you'll do just fine.

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

In this very link.

17. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

The people who need to let this shit die down is the people who continue to harass me, and these people harass me with insults which hold no validness. They state that I am a jackass or homosexual or something, yet provide no reasoning or proof of it. If someone posts an insult directed at me, I believe that I have the right to at least respond to it, especially since I don't mindlessly insult back.

So I'm the douchebag? What about the person who told me to jump off a bridge, or the person who didn't answer my question of clarity just to piss me off? Or the person who told me that I was homosexual as an insult? Or the people blaming me for their harassing of me? Or the people who directly told me to f*** off, when I showed no hostility, and just welcome?

And when have I yelled? I have exceptional temperance.

Sucking up? Common courtesy is "sucking up"?

Well actually, I believe that all the peons who joined in on the GarmGarf bashing are the ones who are attempting to fit in with the "big dogs".

I'm sorry to state this but I didn't intentionally put so much effort into this forum; it just seemed to have grabbed my interest. But I'm glad to see that you have flattered yourself, in that you and the others would be worth so much effort.

I still don't believe that it is fair to state that I am a fool.

Wouldn't that be relevant to all the posters? Wouldn't we all be asses then?

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Proof is over-rated, this is a web forum, not a grand jury; it's not that you do anything Garm, it's just that you sound like a douchebag when you post.

I wouldn't say you're trying to fit in, I disagree with Philes there. You do seem to have some innately ingrained defense mechanism where you rationalize every attack on you, knowing that if you think about it, it won't damage your relatively fragile ego as much, although I'm sure you think of yourself as quite grounded, since you're so rational that most of the people who know you probably think you're a little staid.

Either way, you need to not take the passing comments here as literally, that's your first and primary mistake. If I call you a douchebag, does that make you a douchebag? Not necessarily, but if you freak out and try to disprove that you're a douchebag, or question the factual basis for me calling you a douchebag, you make yourself into a douchebag, which makes me correct in calling you one. Get my reasoning?

19. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Actually, I'll agree with you there. I have no idea why, but I seem to be a very condescending individual on this forum, going on about being a community manager of this, lead game mechanic designer of that, and been to "ghetto forums" and whatnot.

Right, I'll try to cut it out, but I'm not like that on other forums. In fact, I'm very submissive, and have a habit of belittling myself.

I really don't know why I seem arrogant here... these things just pop up in conversation, and I'm not going to actively avoid telling people of my details; I've nothing to hide.

I've been told that I am this Flame Warrior:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warrio ... ndroid.htm

I'm a thinker, not a feeler. It's simple, but at least I am correct.

Regarding my "ego", well pride is a sin is it not? It's actually the greatest sin of them all. I am a mere nothing; a speck of stardust, and I don't even posses free will. I am a product of the functioning of the universe.

The people who have flamed me are simply incorect and I'd like for them to see that.

I get you, but at the same time the person who called me a "douchebag" is incorect, and a fool at that; or ignorantly mean.

20. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Those of us who flamed you were simply stating the obviously prevailing opinion of the members of this forum. Factually correct or not, you are seen as a douchebag. Maybe you should start blaming yourself for being a failure instead thinking that it has to do with some deficiancy on our part.

Anyway, the active members of this community have, by and large, rejected you. Your square peg doesn't fit in this round hole.

Please note that any response to this post will be seen as unnecessary and will only serve to further brand you as a misfit douchebag.

Our Host!